Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

What's your first map gonna be?

Page: 1 of 1
 Infinity
04-12-2002, 1:34 AM
What are you guys going to work on first when the SDK comes out?

I think I'll do a life-sized Sandcrawler FFA map (ala super star wars), just to get a hang of the editor and new entities.

I have no shortage of ideas though...

On a side note, I'm having trouble getting the r_speeds to show in-game (sad I know). What's cheat protection, and how do I turn it off. I'm really just to lazy to figure it out for myself.

:jawa
 UniKorn
04-13-2002, 7:00 AM
Once again:

sdk : software development kit : the source
gdk : game development kit : modelling and mapping tools.

Currently working on

2 duel maps
2 ctf maps
1 FFA

and 1 moh:aa map for fun

UniKorn
Project Lead/Mapper 4 Wired Lamp Studios
http://www.wiredlampstudios.com)
 AeroBLASTER
04-13-2002, 7:35 AM
A piece of junk. Nobody will ever see it... I probably won't publish a map until I've completed at least two before it. I'm used to UnrealEd, which is totally different from the additive stuff you do in Quake engines. Plus the interface is much better IMHO, especially in the 3d view.
 UniKorn
04-13-2002, 7:54 AM
Yes, no offense meant, but the unreal way seems weird :D
 AeroBLASTER
04-13-2002, 6:23 PM
Nah. It's a lot better. Instead of being additive (which is a total pain in the @ss) it's Subtractive (in which method you can also do additive stuff). It uses a builder brush - you can fully create your object before it ever is actually implemented in the level. Very handy. The 3d view is control pretty much exactly like a shooter. All maps are saved in *.map files and those files can be used within the game. Rebuilding is a LOT simpler in the Unreal engine - it's all within the editor and is just a click away. No gay 'compiling' programs.

I could go on forever... but basically, the Unreal engine is better than anything id has ever made (I've always hated all Quake engines)...
 AeroBLASTER
04-13-2002, 6:24 PM
And yes. I've done

JK Editing
Quake II/Half-Life Editing
Quake III Editing
Unreal/Unreal Tournament Editing

So I know what I'm talking about :)
 Insane Anakin
04-14-2002, 4:51 AM
Infinity you are a god to me. If you can capture the amazing atmosphere of Jawa Dwelling: SE (Best JK MP map ever made) I'll send you a lollipop.
 Infinity
04-14-2002, 6:57 AM
I'll hold you to that.

(yeah, I have some interesting plans, hopefully it'll be cool)
 Commodus
04-14-2002, 7:50 AM
Originally posted by AeroBLASTER
A piece of junk. Nobody will ever see it... I probably won't publish a map until I've completed at least two before it. I'm used to UnrealEd, which is totally different from the additive stuff you do in Quake engines. Plus the interface is much better IMHO, especially in the 3d view.

I totally agree with you, UnrealEd is so much simpler to use than Worldcraft.... and also quite powerful.... Radiant comes somewhere in between the two of them....
 UniKorn
04-14-2002, 8:51 AM
I think I'll stick to JK2 for the moment, although what you guys say seems very interesting. Just don't have the time checking it out, just building a skin and a moh:aa map for fun, and at the same time doing a lot of mapping for jk2 => personal life suffers.

UniKorn
Project Lead/Mapper 4 Wired Lamp Studios
http://www.wiredlampstudios.com)
 Vorax
04-16-2002, 1:46 AM
Personal life? You got one of those Uni? ;)

I have a FFA and CTF done waiting for conversion when the editor comes out, I may also be converting one of my EF maps, that didn't get much play, well...cuz to me, for the most part, EF died the day JKII came out ;)

You can check it out at my site, it's called 'The Prisoner': Vorax Maps (http://vorax0.tripod.com). It was a really fun CTF map that has just had little exposure compared to most of my other stuff. I also think it will play awesome for JK2.

- Vorax
 UniKorn
04-16-2002, 1:16 PM
I got some personal life yes :-)
I'm glad that the holidays are over, that gives me monday and wednesday when I am home alone :) I can do a lot of mapping then :)
Page: 1 of 1