Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Strategies

Page: 1 of 1
 Protoss_Carrier
11-29-2001, 9:57 PM
I have a few strategies for anyone willing to listen

Sea Battles

Are sea battles obselete? Nope. In fact, the Naboo are the best for a naval battle, not the Gungans. Why?
Since assult mechs are effective against ships, you need a counter to the mechs. Air units, if used carefully, can wipe out a whole bunch of assult mechs. You won't even need a ground force if you do this strategy. And the Naboo have a pretty crappy ground force.

Land Battles

Land battles are a little more complex than naval battles. The Gungans are the best at ground assults. They have the Faamba shield, and all mechs and troopers. They are the kings of formation fighting. The Trade Feds aren't that bad either, with their destroyer droids, which are very powerful for their size and cost. However, any good ground army needs mechs for their assult force. Troopers are just too weak for this role. Even Beserkers and Crusaders are weak.

Air Battles

The Rebels and Naboo are equal in this aspect. The Rebels, because of the air speeder, the Naboo for their speed upgrade. Wookies aren't that bad. They all get the shield upgrade, but this doesn't really mean squat. Use air forces with caution.
 Cup_A_Jabba
11-29-2001, 10:31 PM
that sounds pretty good carrier, just 1 thing, air is VERY weak against mechs, so you might have a hard time attacking the assault mechs with air unless you go crazy and mass them up. I do like Naboo, don't get me wrong but the gungans and their little subs are just AWESOME. They are great for attacking unweary utility trawlers or transport ships trying to sneak around back. Yet you are right Naboo has very very strong Ships. All the other strats look pretty good carrier. Continue the fine work!!
 Datoupee
11-30-2001, 1:14 AM
Great stuff guys ! All very well said. I agree with cup-o-Jabba (great name by the way). The Gungans have great naval ships. As for air, I usually spend too many Nova crystals on them. They are too easy to take down. Anti Air Troopers are very very strong without any upgrades.
 mglass
11-30-2001, 10:38 AM
I am a huge fan of AOE2, but SWBG is much better. There is a few things, i would like to point out about the game. Take it for what you want.

Civs in order from best to worst:
Gugans
Wookies
Rebels
Empire
Trade Federation
Naboo

Things that need to be fixed.
Naboo are by far and away the worst CIV. Too weak to really mount a strong attack, I thing. Heavy artillery are a waste in my opinion. Just built mech units. Planes, use them basically just for scouts. 1 anti-air turret, will kill 50 planes. The civs are too similair also. There really is not much difference between any of them. They need to put in stuff like maybe the deathstar, Imperial Star Destroyers, Millieum Falcon in the real game. Just pointing out a few things.
 safire
11-30-2001, 1:16 PM
Ok, mglass, I don't know about the civ order from best to worst...

Your Civs in order from best to worst:
Gugans
Wookies
Rebels
Empire
Trade Federation
Naboo

I'd have to say that the Empire can be an incredibly powerful race - you have one of the best troopers in Dark Troopers, Mechs - AT-ATs own. Yes, air you are weak w/o shields but build enough anti-air with your troops/mechs and that becomes mute. Sith - can build masters, purge, and everything except invisible which only the rebels and naboo get.

Gungans first - explain this, I don't see how the Gungans are the most powerful, is everything based on their fambaa shield generators?

Trade Fed do suck..
Wookies do rock..
As do the Rebels.
 General Nilaar
11-30-2001, 2:01 PM
What I like about the Empire's unique unit is that it doesn't require any ore or nova. In a long lasting game, when the resources get scarce, that can make all the difference between victory and defeat. They may not be as flashy as the destroyer droids, but you can mass them in large numbers;)

Oh, and they spot cloaked Jedi....

The Empire's air may be weak, but they still act as an effective worker harrasser and scout. That's all I really use air for anyway. Though if you're an air player obviously that isn't going to cut it.

Mechs are great. Imperial Walkers are very nice though I often use the AT-ST more because of their cheaper cost. They're still very nice fully upgraded and in large numbers. They can definetly keep enemy tanks from your pummelers and cannons in a major base attack.

And they have decent Jedi (Sith). Not the best in the game, but certainly not the weakest, not by a long shot.
 Grimjack
11-30-2001, 2:46 PM
Sea units are not obsolete. I was playing against someone on a river map (I think) and I was doing pretty good until he sailed in 10 adv cruisers with Naboo fighters for air support. I forgot what a long range those things had. he destroyed almost half my town from shore.

The Gungans are my favorite race. they have great sea, mechs and heavy weapons and good troops. Plus you can heal half their units with medics. The Shield Generator Fambaa is just icing on the cake. The only thing I don't like is how there civ bonus is map dependant, no water, no bonus.
Page: 1 of 1