Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

How To Make New Multiplayer Skins (without replacing current ones - UPDATED)

Page: 2 of 2
 Tinius
04-05-2002, 12:10 AM
Originally posted by Aiee
Oookay. I followed the above instructions and created a pk3 file in jk2/gamedats/base called aiee.pk3 (Original, I know. I'm just testing it out). The pk3 archive contains files all located inside the path models\player\shadowtrooper

the pk3 file contains modded jpgs, model_default_aiee.skin, containing references to the new pictures, icon_default_aiee.jpg, model.glm, test.md3, Thumbs.db, sounds.cfg and animsounds.cfg

When I load up the game and go to the player config menu (doesn't matter if it's the one in the setup menu or ingame), I can scroll through icons until I reach the default shadowtrooper icon on the far right. Now, assuming the icons are in alphabetic order, model_default_aiee.skin should appear after model_default.skin, so I hit the next arrow to select my new skin.

At this point, the game crashes, and I am dumped at the MP console with a flashing error message reading

"Requested feature was omitted at compile time"
The last lines of the console read:

--- Common Initialization Complete ---
Winsock Initialized
Opening IP socket: localhost:28070
Hostname: xxx.xxx.dk
IP: xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
Working directory: D:\jk2\GameData
----- CL_Shutdown -----
RE_Shutdown( 1 )
Shutting down OpenGL subsystem
...wglMakeCurrent( NULL, NULL ): success
...deleting GL context: success
...releasing DC: success
...destroying window
...resetting display
...shutting down QGL
...unloading OpenGL DLL
-----------------------
Requested feature was omitted at compile time

Now, my question is: What on earth did I do wrong?

I seem to be having the exact same problem, I cannot figure out how to fix this..... any ideas?
 Emon
04-05-2002, 12:34 AM
Any work you guys do should be sent into www.massassi.net) - They are JK's #1 resource for mods, editing tools and tutorials, etc. and have recently expanded to support JO. Most mods will probably be sent there like they were for JK (I hope).
 Mark_Li
04-05-2002, 12:46 AM
Thank you for your totally irrelevant post that answers no questions.
 Emon
04-05-2002, 12:49 AM
1. It was a suggestion as where to post your mods, I never said I was trying to answer questions, and most have been answered anyways.

2. No one asked me a question.

3. Your post is irrelevent and doesn't answer questions either, so stop being a hypocryt.
 Grand Moff
04-05-2002, 2:53 AM
Anyone know if I can import these models into
painter 3d?

What file would I import?
 Aramais
04-05-2002, 6:10 AM
I've done EXACTLY what the directions said and no icon comes up on the menu for me to use my new skin ... What are .tga, or i guess i should say where ... I've changed the .jpg but don't understand what the .tga is ...
could someone explain a way to get it to work that might have been left out in ChangKhan's directions? or go into more detail
 Tinius
04-05-2002, 10:19 PM
Originally posted by Tinius

I seem to be having the exact same problem, I cannot figure out how to fix this..... any ideas?

aiee, you arent posting here about it anymore... did you figure out the problem?.... if so please fill me in
 TwinSuns
04-05-2002, 10:25 PM
I followed the instructstions, in the player setup the icon I created is there. However, when I go into multi the icon is not there. Any suggestions?
 Tinius
04-06-2002, 1:38 PM
Originally posted by Tinius

aiee, you arent posting here about it anymore... did you figure out the problem?.... if so please fill me in

anybody else?... please?
 Kx_Dra_Sycdan
04-06-2002, 5:07 PM
Originally posted by Emon
1. It was a suggestion as where to post your mods, I never said I was trying to answer questions, and most have been answered anyways.

2. No one asked me a question.

3. Your post is irrelevent and doesn't answer questions either, so stop being a hypocryt.

Emon i think he was referring to that lamer "[CDVR]HoLLyWooD" who Advertised his MillionManLan BS in someone else's thread.

yeah Hollywood your irrelevant post is w a s t e
YOU R LOSE
kthnxbye

----------------------------------

Ok i have a post related to this thread's topic

When i first tried to use my skin the icon for my skin showed up, but the reborn model (which the model my skin uses)still had it's default skin instead of my edited skin. so obviously i did something wrong, what exactly i did wrong i don't know (i'm new to editing Q3/JO as you'll soon find out)

So some questions then.

When you edit the default_model.skin file what exactly do you have to change?

Here is some of what the Reborn models default_model.skin file looks like:

hips,models/players/reborn/forc_legs.tga
hips_torso,models/players/reborn/forc_torso.tga

here's what i got so far:

hips,models/players/reborn/DarkJedi_legs.jpeg
hips_torso,models/players/reborn/DarkJedi_torso.jpeg

How exactly should it look after i edit it?

Do i have to change the word reborn to what my skins name is?(darkjedi) so it would like this:

hips,models/players/darkjedi/DarkJedi_legs.tga
hips_torso,models/players/darkjedi/DarkJedi_torso.tga

Why does the model_default.skin list tga file extensions even though there are only Jpegs in that models directory?

Because what i edited in the models directory are jpegs, does that mean i have to change the file extension on the jpegs to tga directly, or do i change the tga extension to jpeg in the model_default.skin file?

Sorry for the 20 questions bit, but like i said i'm new to editing anything Q3 related.

:biggs:
 GE_Jedi1138
04-06-2002, 6:24 PM
Maybe some details about the model_default file.

I have a skin done and when I load JK, everything is fine until "Awaiting Snapshot" comes up..then JO simply crashes out and I'm back in Windows. I KNOW its somthing with the skin. If I take the pk3 out, it loads up fine. Just....WHAT is wrong with it is the thing I gotta figure out.

Details about the model_defaul would help a TON!
 Mark_Li
04-06-2002, 10:57 PM
Yeah, I was talking to Hollywood with the irrelevence thing.

Anyway, I still haven't gotten this to work. Requested feature omitted at compile time plagues me.

I wish we could get an official explanation about this.
 Eclipser
04-07-2002, 3:57 PM
Originally posted by ChangKhan[RAVEN]

If you have MAX, we will be releasing a plug-in/exporter for MAX and our ghoul2 compiler that should allow you to make custom .glm meshes (or modify ours) and apply them to our animation skeleton (the _humanoid.gla file)

What about lightwave3d plug-in/exporter?? I'd like to make skins but I only have lightwave (which I think is _much_ better than that lowsy max :D)
 Bcubed
04-08-2002, 12:58 PM
I did all the graphics editing and zipped it up into a pk3 file with no compression, but when I go to select the skin, all it has is a black square, and if selected it just defaults back to the regular kyle katarn skin. So if ya'll could be any help that would be wonderful.

Thanks
Cubey
 Zonk
04-08-2002, 3:48 PM
I hade the same problems like u Bcubed but now it works and i m not sure why.
The Problem with the icon is that it had to be 256x256 pixel.
I made some mistakeswith the foldes inside the pk3 file. I used base\models\players\desann\ and had to use models\players\desann\.
U can also use compression when zipping the zip file.
 Vassago
04-08-2002, 10:16 PM
Can't you just have your char files in the /models/player/yourchar folder and add the entire model folder to a pk3 file from the base folder? Then go through and delete all the files that don't refer to your player folder?
 alhren
04-09-2002, 8:50 AM
can someone please tell me where can i find this file to extract it? i donґt find it in asstest0pk3
thank you
 DaviJade
04-09-2002, 1:29 PM
The models.shaders file is located within the shaders directory. If you can't see the directories in WinZip try downloading PakScape from http://www.fileplanet.com/index.asp?section=1103)

PakScape is a great .pk3 editor and viewer.
 Bcubed
04-10-2002, 11:17 AM
Would anyone be willing to help me out by taking my skin files and see if you can complie them to where they work??

If so please leave your e-mail addy and I will send the files to you

Thanks for ya'lls help,
Cubey
 Zonk
04-10-2002, 3:07 PM
Bcubed, u can send the files to me and i will give it a try

usedom@t-online.de
 Bcubed
04-10-2002, 7:28 PM
File have been sent man, I hope you can figure out what is wrong, thanks for the help

Cubey
 Kx_Dra_Sycdan
04-11-2002, 1:40 AM
I found out the source of my newbish problem, simply i just had one extra folder then i was suppossed to in the zip file.

Here is what the directory looked like in my first attempt:
darkjedi/models/players/reborn

the extra folder (darkjedi) in not needed as the zip itself will act as that folder

Here's what the directory in the zip file should look like:

models/players/YourSkinNameHere

then i changed the .zip file into a .pk3 file and it was that simple.
 princessliar
04-13-2002, 4:25 PM
Can anyone help, I seem to be having problems. :( When I try to load up a .glm file in Modview I get an error saying "Filesystem call made without initialisation". :confused: What does it mean and how can I fix it?
 ~(\/)iasma->
04-14-2002, 1:55 AM
Thank you very much for posting this. I am just about to get lost in the jungles of modding and this has helped me make a good start.

The point is, I had been trying and trying desperately to see my awesome sabre blade and couldn't, this one post enabled to me to finally get it in the game. woohoo. Only once I did get it in the game...er.. yeesh did it suck. ;)

Now that I have a proper workflow I can test many new and exciting "cool" ideas. lol

Thanks again. :D

PS For the game too ;)
 Octavius
04-14-2002, 4:27 PM
I have seen several people with the problem you described about file call made without initialization. The cause is that it cannot load the _humanoid dorectory info as you don't have it in the right place. Here is what I did.

I have a directory on a separate hardrive called GameDev. This folder is where I store inportant files for different games, and the things I need for mapping, modelling, skinning, the works.

In that folder is each folder for each game, in this case JK2.
In JK2 folder I have a TOOLS folder, which contains all of the modview files, a DEV folder where I test all of my work before going in-game with it, and a BASE folder, which basically has ALL of the game files extracted from both the assets0.pk3 and asets1.pk3 files...

so in the BASE directory you should see models/players. Go there, and you should see all of the models in the game. the first folder is called _humanoid. If these are not there, something is wrong. If you still can't get it to load the model, something is still wrong.

Works for me...
 etherealsilk
05-28-2002, 6:52 PM
I read Changs initial post on how to add MP skins in without copying over any other skins. It has helps me a lot in understanding how to add skins into the game, such as making it so I can be different skins in SP. What I would like to know is how to add SP skins into the game without copying over other skins. I am sick of sticking a JediTrainer with a darth maul skins and calling him my "apprentice." I posted this in another post earlier but it seems that maybe posting it here would have been a better idea. Chang? could you spread some light onto this? Or does anyone else know how?
Here is my previous post and it states everything i have done and what my main problem is.

http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?threadid=57233)

Thanks guys
 etherealsilk
05-29-2002, 7:42 PM
*BUMP*

Nobody knows???
 sHeEpS
09-24-2002, 7:12 AM
so in the whole, i extract the models, make a new folder with my skins name, and put all the files in there, with the skins name, and just skin em, i think i getchya..
Page: 2 of 2