Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Worldcraft level Editor

Page: 1 of 1
 SkataN
04-01-2002, 1:45 AM
ALright, ive tried radiant, it sucks, nothing beats the almighty worldcraft which we all love and know so well. But, the problem is, I absolutely despise radiant and would like to map with worldcraft for JK2. So the real question is, if I start mapping right now with worldcraft, will it be a waste of time because there is no way to convert them?

On a side note, I would prefer 100x more to learn a new level editing program than to use radiant.

Also, is there any way to open Player models in jk2 in programs like 3dsmax, gmax, maya..etc
 ncesky
04-01-2002, 3:57 AM
I don't think you've learned radiant enough to say that it sucks, because if you have then you'd prolly know it has many Q3-specific features that worldcraft doesn't support, thus yes, it would be a waste of time.

I know WC3 very well too, and I'm just now learning radiant; it's different, but there are things about it better than WC. Try GTKRadiant, it's constantly being updated, and is very expandable with plugins and such... I don't think there is anything you can't do with Radiant that you can do with WC. It's only a matter of learning all those things, as *****y as that is.
 Zealot888
04-01-2002, 6:19 AM
Yeah Worldcraft has probably been the best editor I've ever known, and the regular radiant sucks. Try GTKradiant though, in some ways it is better than WC. I'm just hoping that we'll be able to use GTK radiant for JK2.
 UniKorn
04-01-2002, 8:02 AM
I always thought we would, but now that I see that there are some issues on the bsps being compatible I have my doubts. I hope that they use a q3map.exe and .def files, then there should be a workaround to keep working in gtkradiant :)

UniKorn
Mapper 4 Wired Lamp Studios
http://www.wiredlampstudios.com)
 twoshadows
04-01-2002, 9:03 PM
You're never going to be able to use the worldcraft editor for editing jk2 - as it is owned by Valve software.

Just take the plunge and LEARN Radiant - I too was once a WorldCraft devotee, back in the Quake 1 days and to a lesser extent, for Half-Life - But once I sank my teeth into Radiant, it quickly became obvious which of the two editors were the lesser.

Plus, you'll be able to do all those happy curved surfaces in radiant :)

Trust me, it's worth the effort....
 Decker_dk
04-02-2002, 3:49 PM
People seem to forget, or not acknowledge, the QuArK (http://www.planetquake.com/quark) map-editor, even though it supports mapping for all games that the other individual map-editors each do on their own.

At the moment, the latest snapshot of QuArK has support for; Quake-1, Hexen-2, Quake-2, Heretic-2, Half-Life, Sin, Kingpin, Soldier of Fortune, Quake-3:Arena, Star Trek:Voyager-Elite Force, Return to Castle Wolfenstein, Medal of Honor:Allied Assault and a few more.

It shouldn't take long to put in Jedi Knight II:Jedi Outcast into QuArK, since its based of the Quake-3 engine.

Whats missing is the compile tools, which compiles the .MAP files to .BSP files. And those can only be supplied by Raven Software. Lets hope they do that soon.

/Decker - www.planetquake.com/quark) (http://www.planetquake.com/quark)
 SkataN
04-02-2002, 4:05 PM
Hey, thanks man, Using radiant will hopefully be my last option. I just hope Raven releases map editing tools, id rather the offical software.
 xgalaxy
04-02-2002, 8:28 PM
The 'official' editor is just spin off of the radiant editor.
And I'm sorry but GTKRadiant spins circles around the Hammer Editor aka Worldcraft.
 bliv
04-03-2002, 12:21 PM
Radiant isn't all too difficult. I only began to use it a week or 2 ago and I it's the best editor I've used for making archways and nice curved surfaces. Just read the tutorials and then it is easy.
 SkyLightWalker
04-03-2002, 1:18 PM
I always have issues with ALL editors it seems! I make the level, but then I can never get the damn thing to compile properly! GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!
 Vorax
04-03-2002, 5:30 PM
Go ahead, use WC, create some boxes, be happy... but to do the real deal, you need the real thing...Radiant. :)

Don't knock Radiant until you understand it, it is more advanced then WC, but that is because it has to be to support QIII games, specifically, advanced curve editing and loads of plugins.

Once you learn it, the others seem like toys.

- Vorax
Page: 1 of 1