Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

The best attack army I seen so far

Page: 1 of 1
 Grand Admiral
11-21-2001, 9:35 AM
The best attack army that I have always have made and most of the time succeed. They are:

10x Plummels
5x Bounty hunter(counteract the Jedi or Sith)
5x Heavy Anti Air Troops
10x Jedi or Sith to fight any Troops or artilleys or any mech
5x Workers
7xAir Transport
5x Tie or X-wing Fighters

The Air Transport are there take the army there quickly. The Tie are a diversion so that the Anit Air turrent will focus on them instead of the Air Transport. It works all the time. Now to the army, I make the Plummels attack the buildings in the base. The bounty hunters are there to make sure that no Jedi or Sith gets near my plummels. The Anti Air Troops makes sure that there are no Air Units to fire at the Plummels. The Jedi or Sith are there there to kill any troops, mechs or artilleys. The Workers are there to do a Turrent push stragey. So the enemy is forced to make a decision attack the workers and prevent my presences in his base or attack my army and let me in his base with the fortess and turrents. Either way it is a win win situtation. So I have ensured my victory. This stragey DOES not work well against Super Base(meaning two people together building one base.) :mob:

Tell me what you think of this stragey
 Kudar
11-21-2001, 9:43 AM
Looks good, it's a similar army I generally use, but with the following changes

around 6 bombers and 4 fighters - because the aa guys should clear air units if about.

I only use about 2 or 3 bounty hunters and same with jedi/sith infavour of a few artillery units and some mounted troopers
 Zygomaticus
11-21-2001, 10:02 AM
seems ok but stuff like that takes time to make
you never know when your opponent could attack you earlier:(
 Lambda07
11-21-2001, 3:20 PM
Your strategy seems good but:

1)it envolves mainly Empire, since rebels and Naboos dont have great pummels, and excludes all non-jedi civs

2)Mounted troopers and grenadiers in great quantity will melt your pummels and heavy anti-air: if attacking an air civ you will then be in trouble. Also bounty hunters should always be heavily used against Jedi civs such as Empire.

I have the feeling that the success of conquering the opponents base all depends on who's the fastest to build a Fortress (and right after turrets and unit-centers) near the enemy.
Also a good scouting to see what the enemy is building is fundamental.
 P-59
11-23-2001, 6:12 PM
That sounds effective, but I personally have a different view. I like Assault mechs. They aren't the most effecient, but they are what starwars is about! Aircraft units are cool too.
 xwing guy
11-24-2001, 2:26 PM
Thats a good attack force but I could destroy it with several assault mechs with support units easily.
 SirBlack
11-24-2001, 5:30 PM
Yeah, that's a good strategy. I'd hate to have to fight it off. But I can see some ways it could fail.

First, it sounds like those 5 Fighters aren't intended to help the attack after the Transports drop you forces in. If that's the case, then all you have to drive off the defender's air forces is those 5 AA Troopers. Well, if the defender brings in around 10 or so Fighters and concentrates on your AA guys, he can kill all of them and lose only a few Fighters at most (especially if he's got shields). Once that's done he could bring in bombers, kill all those Workers quickly, and wreck the rest of the attack.

Second, if the defender has a good force of Mech Destroyers/Grenadiers and also Bounty Hunters you might be in trouble. He could line up those Destoyers and Grenadiers to attack your Pummels and then put his Bounty Hunters right behind them. If your Jedi approach his Mech Destroyers they'd get blasted by the Bounty Hunters. And if you can't use your Jedi, you don't really have anything else to use. Of course, your Workers could still be building stuff in his base. But if he kills your attack force, then he can just bring in his own Pummels and wipe out anything you built.

Third, I don't think 5 Bounty Hunters is enough. It wouldn't be all that hard to kill them. And then the defender can bring in his own Jedi to kill or convert your forces. It would be amusing to see those 10 Pummels suddenly converted and set to destroying whatever your Workers are trying to build.
 Young David
11-25-2001, 11:05 AM
My fav strat is to take 10 sandcrawlers in TL1 to take out an enemy :D

Works only on Tatooine tough
 Paragon_Leon
11-26-2001, 9:12 AM
...which is most likely why Tatooine won't be used in mp-tournaments...
 BecketVelar
11-26-2001, 3:29 PM
A good deterent that i have seen to most armies is the Heavy Destroyer Droid. This critter reeks havok on all but air units. With Artillery and AAA it is by and large one of the most powerful units in the game. Add in a couple of bounty hunters and watch the army of your choice(except maybe those d*** gungans go away.

Becket Velar
 At-At
11-26-2001, 8:10 PM
Looks good, but I would be able to sack you before you can build up that force. Otherwise, a pretty mean strike force, hate to meet it when it is all the way built. ;) :atat:
 safire
11-27-2001, 1:38 PM
I found that a large mass of the galactic empire's AT-ATs can destroy pretty much everything. To ensure that those pesky rebel scum air units don't slice through all my precious AT-ATs, I have a ton of anti air troopers and mechs running with the AT-ATs. I found this to be incredibly successful (against computer and humans).

In one LAN game with 4 other players, I decided to build a monument in my base (the game was taking too long). That is basically a beacon tellling all the other players to come attack me. With about 30 AT-ATs and a horde of anti air I was able to repel the rebel snow speeders, trade fed droidekas, wookies and the other guys empire AT-ATs. My opinion from this is that a large crowd of AT-ATs with good air support can be hard to recon with.

Yes, there is a counter to everything and no group is invincible. If there was an invincible force - we'd all be using it. And obviously throwing enough of mech destroyers or something at a large crowd of AT-ATs will bring those walkers tumbling down. That or getting enough snow speeders.

You can argue that my Naboo crusaders can take those AT-ATs out when right up against them (same with pummels). But they have to get there first and the AT-ATs with splash damage keep most things from reaching them. If there is a threat of lots of berserkers or crusaders or pummels, add some dark troopers to guard the AT-ATs. With anti-air and dark troopers hiding between the AT-AT legs, it's hard to pick them off and they can help your AT-ATs survive longer.

I'd have to say that the most succesful counter to this has been some cannons. The problem with empire's AT-ATs is their speed - slower than snot. So, a well guarded cluster of cannons can deploy, fire into the AT-AT crowd killing a few, close and move away before being destroyed. It requires some careful movement and timing, but is very doable. To help against this, add some Tie bombers and fighters to your attacking force. When those cannons deploy, send your tie air to destroy them. Obviously, a smart enemy will have anti-air protecting his cannons making quick work of your tie bombers and fighters.

I can go on and on. Add this or that to your army to counter his units, but I'd have to say that little can survive very long if you have a lot of the AT-ATs.

In short, defend your army against air ALWAYS with the possible exception if the enemy is gungans or trade fed (b/c their air blows). Also, if your army consists of heavy hitters like AT-ATs, have support in the form of ground units. And lastly, get those resources that will allow you to mass produce the expensive units.
Page: 1 of 1