Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Movie theme duel arenas

Page: 1 of 1
 Jedi Child
03-31-2002, 5:51 PM
I posted this in the mod forum, but it doesn't seem to be getting a lot of replies, or traffic, so please forgive me for posting it here also:

---------
I'm not a modeller or a mapper, but i'd like to suggest a few more maps for the duel style of play. I know the game has only just been released, but i think a better variety of Duel maps would grealty enhance the duel combat feel truer to the movies..

For instance, we do have a deathstar map for FFA, but it's way too big for a duel. Now, a famous duel from the movies was in return of the Jedi, Where Darth fights Luke in the Emperor's throne room. This room is featured on the deathstar map.
It would be nice if a map could come out to cut away the rest of the deathstar and leave that room only, and add a few more gangways and stairs, and overhead walkways.

I think the best duel maps are the circular arenas which feature high ceilings. I think the carnonite chamber fails because the ceiling is too low. It would be nice if the ceilings were altered and raised, and also, what about interactivity? For instance if a player falls into the pit, (i noticed a contol console model on that map), the oppsoing player could activate the chamber and bring down the carbonite to end the duel. that would be very cool indeed.

Other good maps to have would be an improved shaft system map of bespin, whereby you can reinact that duel in Empire where Luke gets his hand cut.
Or the swamps of Degobah, or perhaps even a mos eisly cantina arena or tantooine battle ground of some kind..

those are just some suggestions..

cheers. hopefully, someone can make it happen.
 felony
03-31-2002, 7:47 PM
Carbonite Chamber certainly is not a failure. It's a fun map if Force is disabled as is Duel Bay, because the normal flow of events is

Fight, Run around, Fight a little, OMG IM GOING TO DIE!
Heal
Fight, Run around, Fight a little, OMG IM GOING TO DIE!
Heal
Repeat
 Kossak
03-31-2002, 9:13 PM
:deathii:

YOU USE HEAL?
;)
 Kossak
03-31-2002, 9:15 PM
Lightning, drain, lightning, drain, run, frenzied slash, repeat:D
 Jedi Child
03-31-2002, 9:50 PM
Originally posted by felony
Carbonite Chamber certainly is not a failure. It's a fun map
you're right, it is a fun map, and it's not an outright failure per say, but think about how much better it would have been with a raised ceiling, allowing greater jump capacity. Remeber the shaft Luke enters through? The door that opens..? also, remember when Luke duels Darth, he goes up into the ceiling pipes and smokes vadar? Imagine how much fun it would be if actual carbonite was programed to come down on players in the pit if they do not get out quiker.

I realise not all these requests are entirely realistic given the time constraints and deadlines, but it's just a suggestion for future maps/updates by Ravern or by the mod community. :)
 Skellington
04-01-2002, 12:15 AM
I for one would just like to see the whole area of the Bespin duel recreated fairly accurately. Hasn't been done yet, despite the attempt in MotS. It's not that hard to figure out the areas involved and how they connect to each other from even just watching the films, I was able to do a great deal of planning for this level in JED as just a casual project. Presumably, official map developers are allowed some access to the LF archives as well? It's not a huge area, but would be SO damn cool to fight duel mode in!
The other one, of course, has to be a really good version of the DS throne room - Emperor's chair, destroyable catwalks and all!
 Jedi Child
04-01-2002, 12:06 PM
i totally agree skellington.

"true to movie" style duel arenas would be so much more fun. I'm dying for a chance to play the cloudcity re-enactment of luke V vadar!
 JCronic
04-01-2002, 5:42 PM
I was just thinking of the same thing about wanting to see a Duel Arena of just the Emperor's Throne room. I think that would be pretty cool. I would also like to see the other area where Luke and Vader fought in Cloud City, like the room they fought right after the Carbon Freezing chamber and also where they fought on that catwalk where Luke got his hand sliced off.

Some more areas I can think of is the Theed Palace hanger bay, that room with all the catwalk and light cylinders, and the room with the hole in the floor where Obi-Wan and Maul fought to the death. You'd probably even be able to use the Red Team's force field as those force fields that were also in the room.

Any other areas we can think of?
 GreenGriffon
04-01-2002, 10:22 PM
On a much lower priority level, how about Jabba's Sail Barge hovering over the Sarlacc Pit?

You can start on the small Tatooine Skiff, decimate the crewmen there, then forcejump over to the enormous Barge and fight Jabba's minions on the decks.

The models for plenty of different aliens are already in the game, so all you need is the level itself. Maybe someone can even do Boba Fett as the "boss" once you clear the decks.

GG
 QuadHelix
04-02-2002, 6:41 AM
I think JCronic mentioned this but a duel map I'd really like to see is the Theed generator room at the end of Ep I....hehe. *imagines slicing Darth Maul in half*
 Jedi Child
04-03-2002, 12:39 PM
bump
 UniKorn
04-03-2002, 12:45 PM
If someone is willing to give me links to reference material I might be able to squeeze at least 1 in the WLS mappack.
 Skellington
04-03-2002, 12:58 PM
Was also kinda looking forward to duelling all over the Massassi temple, through the throne room, the hangar, war-room...
and how about a really great Echo Base hangar with falcon centerpiece...?
I know there's tons more...

Oh, and Unikorn, what's that map project?
 CrazyJedi
04-03-2002, 4:26 PM
Yeah, someone make a Jedi Academy MP level (same as the Massassi temple, pretty much)! A lot of it's already there, it just needs some more rooms. You know, students' quarters, the lecture hall, etc, etc. Luke's meditation room will make a great place for one-on-one lightsaber battles.
 UniKorn
04-04-2002, 3:07 AM
Originally posted by Skellington

Oh, and Unikorn, what's that map project?

Since there aren't many mp maps included, we will be releasing a map pack with extra ctf/ffa/duel levels.
Page: 1 of 1