Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Install lockup -- HELP!

Page: 1 of 1
 SwedishJedi
03-29-2002, 7:08 AM
I have a serious install problem on my computer, running WinXP, with 384 RAM and an Athlon1.3.

I first loaded my copy up on my crappy work machine with an old GeForce256 (i.e., GeForce1) just to get a sense of what it was about. Loaded and ran fine.

I brought it home, and the damn thing starts to copy files. At the 14% point while loading "assets1.pk3", every time, the CD stops running, the "14%" doesn't change, and the hourglass sits there for about three minutes, then finally I get the error message:

File: E:\Gamedata\gamedata\base\assets1.pk3
Error: Data error (cyclic redundancy check)

I click Close, and the setup stops and bounces me back to the desktop.

I've viewed assets1.pk3 in Winzip and the files all appear to be intact.

Don't know if the disk got messed up, or what. It wasn't exposed to anything that should have damaged it and it looks intact. Anybody have any thoughts?

SwedishJedi

:sweating:
 UniKorn
03-29-2002, 7:18 AM
I don't know where this problem comes from, but it has something to do with the installer all quakebased games have problems with. I had the same problem on my windows 98. When I switched to 2000 the problem stopped. In my case most of the times the pc would just reboot. Reinstalling the OS didn't help. I usually have this install order : win, drivers, ef, sof platinum, rtcw, q3. And it rebooted on all Quake installer games.
 Yoshio
03-29-2002, 8:58 AM
I had the same problem while I was installing except mine occurred at the 1% marker and was some eax-somethingsomthingsomething (cyclic redundancy error). I wiped the cd clean and prayed to my dvd-rom drive since I thought the error was being caused by that.. *shrugs* I tried it a couple more times after doing that and it worked.. so.. =\
 StormHammer
03-29-2002, 10:48 AM
I'm sorry to hear about your problems...nothing worse than getting a game and it won't install. :(

I'm moving this thread over to the Tech Help forum so the tech-heads can beat their brows over it. Hope you find a solution, people. ;)
 SwedishJedi
03-30-2002, 9:54 PM
I had a lockup in the middle of my install, and the LucasArts technical support guy said they'd had a number of problems on it that they were trying to pin down the cause. One possibility he raised is that the CD locks up because it is trying to read ahead to quickly, and so one solution might be to see if the 'properties' menu for your CD-ROM has a speed setting so that you can slow it down; mine did not.

What I think my problem was that I had a couple of corrupt sound files on my game CD. I isolated them by opening the assets1.pk3 file (which was in the middle of being copied when all my lockups occurred. You can do this with Winzip -- a pk3 file is simply a bigged zip file. I then tried to extract all the files in assets1.pk3 to my harddrive, and noted the names of two sound files that locked up the extraction process. I then extracted two other sound files and renamed them for the two that wouldn't extract, and then extracted to my hard drive all the contents of assets1.pk3 except the bad ones. I then created in Winzip a new zip file called, of course, assets1.pk3 and put it in the appropriate directory with assets0.pk3, and finally it worked!

I still haven't gotten multiplayer working with "All Seeing Eye", but I haven't started to figure out what the problem is there.

Anyway, anyone with install problems might give some thought to seeing if the problem is simply corrupt files that you can work around by doing your own pk3's this way. Of course, by renaming another file as an MP3, the upshot may be that a pig may oink when someone opens his lightsaber, but I can live with that.

SJ
 Fatal-x
04-17-2002, 7:55 AM
try copying the contents of the game cd to a folder on your harddrive and run the install from there.

worked for me and also solved the sound loop bug :)
 BunnyTea
04-17-2002, 9:09 AM
if that doesnt work u can try what i did:

find a comp that will install/run it and make a burned copy from that computer...
 Chiles4
04-17-2002, 8:18 PM
BunnyTea, did you have to jump through hoops to copy the CD or did you simply copy it without any tricks or magical spells?
 dnagcat
04-18-2002, 4:27 PM
I had the same install problem...

First if your cd-rom can't install it then copying the files to the hard drive probably won't work either.

Burn a copy of the game cd - this will remove the compression problems that your cd-rom drive is having while reading from the original disc.

Although making a copy of the disc is illegal I do not believe it is imorral to do this (for your purpose only) in order to get a high priced game to work for you.

view my post for further info
http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?threadid=43938)

Lance
Page: 1 of 1