Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Strafe with a joystick?

Page: 1 of 1
 btmmayor
03-28-2002, 5:35 PM
Does anyone know how to set the x-axis of a joystick to strafe instead of turn? When the x-axis is set so its not a button it defaults to turning side to side.
 Vagabond
03-29-2002, 12:34 PM
Good question, I'm not sure. The bad answer is to hold down the stafe key when turning, but that's not very convient. Someone more knowledgable about the Q3 engine will need to answer this.
 btmmayor
03-29-2002, 4:26 PM
Yup, I thought to try that but then guess what happens? The directions become reversed!!

I set the shift key to strafe and then put something on so that I wouldn't have to hold it down. I figured problem solved. Well, now pressing right on the joystick strafes left and pushing left strafes right. Unbelievable.

I am a very proficient fps player with a joystick/mouse combo, been playing that way for years. Unfortunately I just can't get it to work in Jedi no matter what I do. Every other Q3 engine shooter has worked great with a joystick except for MOH:AA. Hopefully I'll stumble across an answer.
 emorog
03-29-2002, 6:55 PM
if you want it like "every other quake3 game", then turn on the "x as button" option in the setup menu. then you can bind the x axis to a button just like in quake3.
 btmmayor
03-29-2002, 11:34 PM
"if you want it like "every other quake3 game", then turn on the "x as button" option in the setup menu. then you can bind the x axis to a button just like in quake3."

Which then only enables you to strafe in one direction, not both. Every other Q3 engine game has the Joyadvaxisx cvar which can be set to 3 to enable strafing with the x-axis. I haven't been able to get this to work with Jedi though.
 Hoonose
03-30-2002, 2:35 AM
Here you go:

bind LEFTARROW "+moveleft"
bind RIGHTARROW "+moveright"

Have fun!

Hoonose
 btmmayor
03-30-2002, 1:06 PM
I have no idea why that works.......but YES!!

Thank you very much Hoonose!
 tm.winston
03-31-2002, 8:07 PM
That's a nice work-around. But, is there anyway to get "analog" strafing to work in JK2? The game obviously supports analog input from the joystick, as without the x-axis acting as keys, I can spin fast, slow or any speed I choose. Why can't we strafe with the same degree of control? It is frustrating that the y-axis moves forward and backward "analog," but we have to strafe at 90 miles an hour. The greatest advantage to using a joystick in a FPS is the degree of control you gain over your movement. Turning a joystick into a couple of keys is a complete waste, in my mind... :(
 Eyemaster
04-01-2002, 1:00 AM
I want analog strafing too for using my SpaceOrb. I originally wrote Raven a long time ago asking for analog joystick support like they did for Elite Force. I was pretty disappointed when they made the X Axis turning instead of strafing. How about an option to choose whether the X Axis is strafing or turning? That should satisfy everybody. Will someone from Raven see this? Or is there a better place to request this change?
 vputz
04-02-2002, 2:00 AM
I would like to get the orb strafing working as well; I love that controller so much I wrote a Win2K/XP driver for it after Spacetec dropped support for the thing, which gives you an idea of the sort of loyalty a good controller can command!

I was aghast when proper ("any joystick axis can control any game axis") support was dropped in Q3, and overjoyed to hear that JK2 would have it--so I'm once again aghast that I can't seem to slide with the joystick (I was at least able to get turning, looking up/down, and moving fore/aft working properly!).

There *has* to be a way to do it; maybe we just don't understand the new console commands correctly.

-->VPutz
 sundansx
04-05-2002, 8:09 PM
I am having the same problem as the other above. The joystick strafe is digital, not analog. Please fix...I will post this in the patch wishlist.

Also, btmmayor - I have a joystick working great in MOH:AA. So far, it has the best joystick support of any 3D shooter I have played in a while. Since I dont read these posts very often, I can try to help you if you email me at shotkeyx@hotmail.com

later,
-ck
 Frumpus
04-06-2002, 1:53 AM
Hi, I use My Wingman Interceptor in my right hand, and my Optical mouse in the left - great for fluid movements.

I don't believe it's yet possible to have analog mode for strafe (X axis); it defaults to "turn" mode. This really sucks - the original JK had much better control config, . .. . oh well; here, at least sticks/pads do have SOME support. I'm gonna try to look into "tricking" the game into analog strafing, but IT MAY BE THAT THEY DON'T HAVE THE RIGHT ANIMATION FOR IT. (See below Re: forward/backward).

To setup your axes "as buttons:
From the Main Menu, click Controls .. .then click the Mouse/Joystick section and first "enable" your joytick (Yes).

If you use the axes "as buttons", they won't be analog anymore (which is really too bad), but at least you can strafe with left/right (X axis).

Once you've changed the X axis to "button" mode, click on the "Movement" option menu, and instead of binding a keyboard key for left/right/forward/backward, move your joystick in the desired direction. Outcast will think you are actually using the directional keys. (though my "turn" functions now are blank . . . "???" - fine with me).

I tried analog mode first for forward/backward, and I got wierd movement - either always the "running" animation, or always the "walking" animation - no matter how far I push the stick. . . . I'll try that again - somebody said it can screw up if you try to set it while the game is running. ??

BTW, I also found out that the USE key will also slow you down a bit from a run!! strafing or otherwise.. . . It almost works like the Run/Walk key, but not quite, and in 1st person mode, you'll lean if you try to strafe with it. It IS another option though! The "walking animation actually fits BEST when the "Walk" AND "Use" functions are used - his footsteps land where they should.
Page: 1 of 1