Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

freezing.

Page: 7 of 12
 drakken_k
04-20-2002, 3:13 PM
Well I think I'm going to give up !
I'tried all the fix from this forum except APG 1x and nothing work.
I'll have to dl an utility to enable AGP 1x on my radeon 8500.

Still MP perfectly stable and SP crash.
I'm sure there a nasty and insidious bug in the SP code.

:mad:
 netskimmer
04-20-2002, 3:17 PM
WILL SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHERE TO FIND THIS AGP SETTING!! I've asked several times but nobody will tell me, the only agp setting I have is in measured in megs, not 1x,2x...
 Exitium
04-20-2002, 4:18 PM
I don't think your problems have anything to do with the sound card, per se, but rather it has to do with the implementation and conflict between the AGP/PCI interface in general.

I stopped experiencing crashes as soon as I installed the AGP 1.90 drivers for my ALiMagik1 based motherboard (Asus A7A266) and lowered my AGP bus to 2x. I might even bring it back up to 4x later to see if it runs stably but I've been having heat issues with my graphics card unrelated to the AGP problems so I'll probably refrain from doing that until I get better cooling for my system.

On the other hand, I think that most of the problems we're (well, I'm not anymore but I mean everyone else) has to do with AGP/PCI problems on your boards. You'll notice that most people here are running a non-AMD or Intel based chipset on their motherboard, hence the problems.

You might wanna try out George's Latency Patch if you're using a VIA board, and be sure to download the 1.90 AGP drivers for your ALi board, if any of you are using one. They're miraculous.
 Exitium
04-20-2002, 4:23 PM
Oh yeah, remember to disable shadows. They're ugly and all they do is slow down the game and are generally a massive burden on graphics cards.
 ArmchairAthlete
04-20-2002, 4:24 PM
I've been getting lockups now right after scores are displayed at the end of a match when a new map should be loading. It locks up at the score screen, and like the first guy, I'm forced to use the power button...

Crashes have been frustrating me alot lately ever since I got my new video card, GeForce4 MX-420 PCI. In WarCraft III It would crash halfway thru a game, and the speakers emitted a continous SCRREEEECHHH until I turned the power off with the button.

I wiped my Harddrive and put windows98 on instead of ME. Still, I get lockups...

I hope I can figure out whats wrong with my computer, since it locks up on the desktop too... Or maybe the games will be patched with fixes.

>_<
 Genocide52
04-20-2002, 4:45 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Exitium
[B]
You might wanna try out George's Latency Patch if you're using a VIA board

QUOTE]

Where might I be able to find George's Latency Patch and exactly what does it do?
 Surfware
04-20-2002, 5:08 PM
Check its features here (http://www.networking.tzo.com/net/software/)

I still think it's a bug of the game, so I won't waste too much time... i just give up till a patch is released :(
 Genocide52
04-20-2002, 5:24 PM
Thank you...hopefully this will fix my problem. I'm just worried that I will be one of the few that will get my system corrupted by installing this thing. Oh well, here goes nothing and that would just give me an excuse to update Windows. :)
 Genocide52
04-20-2002, 6:22 PM
I think that latency patch solved my problem. I went through the parts of the game that had been freezing on me really bad and nothing happened :D. Hallelujah!! I can finally enjoy the game I spent the money I didn't have to spend on! Now if only I could get rid of my firewall so I can play online (stupid college)
 aux_egro
04-20-2002, 10:20 PM
This seemed to work for me after trying most of the fixes mentioned in this thread.

Drivers:
Nvidia 21.83
Via 4in1 4.38

System:

Athlon 1200Mhz
512MB PC133
Epox 8KTA3
Visiontek GeForce3
SB Audigy
4X AGP
No FSAA

Game Settings:

GL Extensions= On
Video Mode= 1024x768
Color Depth= 32-bit
Geometric Detail= High
Texture Detail= Very High
Texture Quality= 32-bit
Texture Filter= Trilinear
Detail Shaders= On
Shadows= Volumetric
Vsync= Off
Dynamic Lights= On
Wall Marks= On
Anisontropic Filtering= On

What fixed my problem was to use GeForce Tweaker. In it there is a section called "Compatability Modes" Listed are Intel, Micron, AMD, Nvidia, VIA, and Rcc. I basically left all other settings in GeForce Tweaker alone, but set VIA Compatability Mode to ON.

Before this, I was locking up about 5 minutes into the game, but now I've played for 2 hours with no lockups.

http://www.guru3d.com/files/)
 Chiles4
04-20-2002, 11:59 PM
Genocide, I think the patch is most useful when using SB Live cards on a VIA board. Is that what you're running? Glad to hear your good news but man, this would really suck if this was another VIA or VIA with SBLive problem!
 Genocide52
04-21-2002, 1:54 AM
Yeah...I'm running on a Tyan Motherboard (VIA chipset) with a SB Live! 5.1 X-Gamer. I've been playing off and on all day and I haven't had a single problem. I wish everyone else the best of luck solving their problems.

:jarjar: :lightning

Now Jar Jar, you will feel the full power of the Dark Side!!
 TheHighness
04-21-2002, 5:21 AM
Well guys, i was one of the guys that suggested a 2x agp transfer setting, but you know what?

I found out another thing, I put my agp transfer to 4x, then lock ups all over again... and then i did something that changed everything... I closed all of the programs running on the background and system tray on windows me. AND I disconnected my cable modem from the NIC card. No freezes at all, with full speed on my system...

So I really dont know whats happening now, I hope this helps all the people that still has problems, even on a 2x setting.

Try it and tell me if it works!
 drakken_k
04-21-2002, 11:44 AM
I have a stange feeling that my pb is sound related.

SP crash and MP work perfectly.
And on the logo screen the sound is stuttering in SP while perfectly clean in MP.
The sound is clear for the rest of the game is SP.

Any idea, is it normal (the sound not the crash :) )
 jasho
04-21-2002, 11:54 AM
I also used the GeForce Tweak Utility to change the settings on the video card. There are a number of settings to manipulate and all I did was enable everything which did it for me. If that did not work, then I would have disabled everything and started there. Maybe those that are still having problems could try this out.

Huh...come to think of it...it seems like we're solving the problems for RAVEN...anyone else think we should get paid for this "tech support"?
 Retro
04-21-2002, 5:12 PM
Well, I havn't read the entire thread, too much :-P So if my problem has been answered please post the info.

I start up JO, select new game, select difficulty, press new game. Wait a little for the bar to go accross the screen, before it gets accross I get a nice big black screen with little green lines accross the top. After 7 resets, I decide to reinstall JO, after being reinstalled, and setting up the graphics again, begin another new one, hi little green lines! After 12 more resets, I decide to come here and see if there are any posts on freezing. I've finished the game on SP before, then went to MP, now I decide to try some more SP on a harder difficulty, only it doesn't want me to play. I can play MP without any problems, just not SP.

800mhz duron
iWill MB (dont know specs on it)
onboard sound
512 ram
win98-se
gf2 gts with 23.11 drivers

Anything else needed? I suppose I should try the newest drivers, I just heard that the 23.11 were the best for JO.
 Darth Jericho
04-21-2002, 9:00 PM
its not just this game it is every heavily modified quake 3 engine based game i have encountered the problems in this game, SOF 2, RTCW, occasionally in team arena even just not as frequently as this game or the others. i also get a shrill high pitched sustained beep when my comp locks up or a little before it does.

My specs are as follows:
AMD athlon 1.2 ghz tbird
Geforce 3 ti 200
Soundblaster live 5.1 x-gamer
786 mb of ram
Win Xp

I believe that it is a confliction between windows 2000/XP and anything soundblaster, because none of the SB products have complete drivers and there are conflictions between just the two when alone in the OS not just in games. This is because creative labs has lame coders, who rushed out drivers just to allow "compatibility" and didnt consider half of the things they should have so until then go buy a different sound card. Windows 2000/XP and Soundlaster products dont get along to well.
 Phydeaux
04-21-2002, 10:26 PM
it's not just soundblaster - I get the same freeze on my Hercules Forissimo Gamesound on XP...

I'm just starting the final portion of the game on Yavin and can't get 5 seconds in without freezing. It's beyond frustrating...
 mahogeny
04-21-2002, 11:22 PM
I'm not sure if anyone posted this or not (I haven't read through al 8 pages of this thread) but I just wanted to say that one thing that I found that fixed the freezing problem for me was to disable vsync.

I run an Athlon Xp 1600+, 256MB PC2100 RAM, Creative Blaster Annihilator II (GeForce2 w/64MB RAM).

Just in case this helps anyone else out.

Mahogeny
 scottws
04-21-2002, 11:49 PM
Well, I just got done playing JKII for two hours... straight! And I quit, it didn't crash. All I did was use simple instead of volumetric shadowing and install the 4.38 VIA 4-in-1 drivers.

However, it could possibly still be a heat problem. When I last played and was crashing every minute, it was 85 degrees outside and we had the A/C off. Now it's in the mid 50s and we have the heat off. It's significanly colder in my computer room, so that might be why it ran fine. I don't know for sure. I guess I'll find out when it warms up again.
 tfp321
04-22-2002, 2:30 AM
Dont ask. I cant spell.

Will some one please summerize what could help making my game not crash. After reading the first two pages in 20 minutes i dont feel like reading the next six so please help. And yes my game does crash with the sound looping. I am not good as this "computer" stuff so be as easy as possiable. Once again i cant spell.

PIII 500
320 megs of ram (after crashing a few times it no registers at 256, removed the faulty ram)
GeForce2400mx
10 gig maxtor hard drive(on this)
24 gig hard drive
legacy sound drive(very crappy, was using sound blaster but i broke it trying to fix jk2)
abit mother board
40x cd drive

Thanks
 tfp321
04-22-2002, 3:01 AM
I blame them all. Raven, lucas arts and however else screwed us.

I am not sure who did what but i am pissed off. There are many of us, many of us and more who got screwed out of 50 dollars. After looking through this post I found not one support member said anything. If there isnt a patch by the end of this week i am going to blow up them.

lucas arts does share blame. they liscend this product and put there name on it. There should of been some sort of response to all of us by now. Some one saying there is a problem would be a start.

As for the makers of the game, well the better not give me there adresses.

I emailed everyone and for over 2 weeks not one response. DAMN IT PEOPLE RESPOND.

Ok my ranting is over.
 ToiletDuck
04-22-2002, 11:54 AM
Just a little update, I've found that it just about only (I've had one or two elsewhere) crashes for me on the Caren (or however you spell it), Doomgiver and the Yavin swamp. I can stop the crashes on those levels by disabling the gl extensions, which unforunatly halves the framerate :(
 Demolisher
04-22-2002, 2:56 PM
Earth to Raven, come in Raven......hello? Pleeeease fix this freezing issue :). I know you gotta worry about SOF2 too, but someone at least come say something and try to figure out what's going on.
 R-N3
04-22-2002, 3:13 PM
Might be a bit late since u guys are already quite ahead with your investigations reg. the freeze problem..but anyway...here's my story in a short:

I played JK , 1024/32, all settings max, AGP4x on my GF2Ti so far without any problems.

Today i bought a Radeon8500 and the game turned into "unplayable" at all - means: Now I'm also getting random freezes/soundloop after a few seconds.

i will jump into more checking and testing later this eve and leave you another note.

btw: great page, great forum!
 stevho
04-22-2002, 3:38 PM
same prob as the rest except that i cant even get into the game. it freezes with sound loop right before the lucasarts logo screen.
my specs:
p3 500
196ram
ge2 mx 32mb(23.11) also tried 28.32
crystal sound fusion card(latest drivers)
win98SE
directx 8.1

but...
it works perfectly, no probs whatsoever for sp and mp, on my other comp.
p3 500
128ram
voodoo3 16mb
soundblaster card(forgotten which one exactly)
win98SE
 bull_balls
04-22-2002, 3:44 PM
My multiplayer freezes, but only in certain places, and the thing is: it didnt start happening until about a week ago. It only freezes when an MP map changes when I'm in a server or when a demo I just played has finished. What the hell is going on? someone f***ing get in here and help us out.

Bull-Balls:fett:
 colmag
04-22-2002, 5:29 PM
I've come to the conclusion that i'm just going to have to wait for the patch, and stop trying in the vain hope that the game won't crash.

How many times can i see "windows has recovered from a severe error" before my whole pc goes belly up?
 colmag
04-22-2002, 6:14 PM
OK, despite my previous post, i thought to myself "I KNOW!!! i'll drop my graphics settings and that will cure everything".

The game replied by throwing up a screen with a pattern of dots varying in colour as they went down the screen. I wish i could describe it better, but no other program ***EVER*** has managed to make any computer i've ***EVER*** owned display such garbage.

So this time i'm really giving up until a patch arrives (really...)
 R-N3
04-23-2002, 1:28 AM
ok, as posted ealier this eve..my report so far:

-desktop set to 16bit
-AGP set to 2x
-shadows off
-GL ext off
-another video card driver
-setting down my FSB

...just dont fix anything about the freezes (at last not on my system) -except i am able to play some more mins before it finally stucks.

I havent checked MP yet since it is just too annoying to hardreset alllll the time.Finally i gave up any further trying since i doubt any other thing except a patch will fix this major issue.

btw:if anyone's interested... i run a Tbird 1200C,Epox 8KHA+, Radeon8500, SB1024 live and Win98SE -but i doubt this means anything in this case.

still strange my GF2ti worked without any probs...
 MadAtGod
04-23-2002, 5:55 AM
BUMP.....again.

Went back to ME again w/ clean format, and can play a little bit...freeze seems to be soon after doing a quickload, anyone else notice this? Sure the junk freezes anyway eventually, but seems to hit me sooner after I die, and load or restart. Either way, still can't make it more than 10 minutes or so...I love it.

Many SB Live's and XP Pro configs in this long ass thread but many others too...I'm convinced after trying it on 3 systems now and 3 OS, copying to HD installin from there, getting a new copy, many fixes listed here, drivers, settings up and down, and tweaks that this is a waste of time and is NOT our problem.

Sad that it's taking this long, and still no word. Everyone make sure to vote on the poll post on this forum, it's already 64% freezing.

Love to do some skinning and level design but no way in hell when I can't use them.
 Simon B
04-23-2002, 12:50 PM
Is everybody who is having this issue logging it with tech support?

The more reports they get, the harder it'll be to ignore.

http://support.lucasarts.com/email/techemail.asp)
 Avernus
04-23-2002, 8:39 PM
I filled out this form three weeks ago and never got a response. Not that I would expect a response to solve anything, based on what I've heard.
I've filled it out again tho, everyone should do it, if they get swamped with error reports maybe it'll start a fire under their asses.
 Ruga
04-23-2002, 10:06 PM
Add me to the long list of people who's system has been screwed by JKII.

But I have more horror to add. Not only does JKII lock up my system (w2k, 512 meg ram, athlon 1.2 ghz, radeon VE, sb live) completely while playing, forcing me to reboot. But since installing Jedi Knight II yesterday, I've found other programs which previously i've had no problem with have started locking my system too, the same as Outcast does. It's very distrubing.

Namely media player when viewing some avi files, most recently. Never had a problem with this file before.

I have the latest ATI drivers, and directx 8.1.

This is very sad.

I also add that i just finished playing Return to Castle Wolftenstien yesterday (rushing through the end, because it was rather boring, and I wanted to install JKII), and though it uses the same Q3 engine, I never had a single problem with it freezing or crashing... not one problem.
 Simon B
04-23-2002, 10:24 PM
Originally posted by Avernus
I filled out this form three weeks ago and never got a response. Not that I would expect a response to solve anything, based on what I've heard.
I've filled it out again tho, everyone should do it, if they get swamped with error reports maybe it'll start a fire under their asses.
I got a response back today! Basically asking me to try everything I already have, but I understand that in order to troubleshoot, it's easier for them if I start back at the basics.

Essentially the advice was to turn the default video settings to 'fastest' and the sound quality to low and see if it still crashes. If it seems OK, they want me to ramp the settings up slowly. It's a bit tedious playing at low resolution (looks like a console game ;) ), but if it helps narrow the problem down then I have no objections.

It hasn't crashed yet in ultra-low quality mode, in fact it makes a change for me to die before the game crashes :p - I haven't had time to play for long though.
 tfp321
04-23-2002, 10:50 PM
I have recently found that after reinstalling direct3d 8.1 and restrting and then rushing through the menu screen and loading my game as fast as possiable i can play for quite some time. It frove on me once in that past mabey 4 hours i player(through out the week) and i just reinstalled direct x. Works ok now but who knows? Good Luck
 MadAtGod
04-24-2002, 6:42 PM
Hey has anyone who has had other programs mess up after JK2 found a fix other than reformat?
I had Medal of Honor running fine just days ago after a format, then installed Jedi Knight 2 which of course freezes right on cue, but now Medal of Honor does too, even before I can get in the game.

Uninstalled JK2, went through registry, MoH still crashed. Uninstalled Medal of Honor, did the same to reg, reinstalled MoH, same crash, similar to JK2, User.Exe crash. Never happened before..hmm. So now it has wiped out my profile on XP twice, eventually making it unbootable and now ruins my other Q3 games under ME.

It does affect it somehow, no reason it should but it does. It must have taken a lot of programming prowess to make a game that can rape a system so well.
 tfp321
04-24-2002, 7:13 PM
I am going to take a wild guess here but i bet it messes with your directx, it seems that installing directx after installing jk2 helps alot. I bet that is why my rtcw and moh is ****ed. Damn this no support. If on win2000 or 9x try re installing direct 3d. XP users screwed.
 Ruga
04-25-2002, 11:09 AM
I've re-installed directX 8.1 and my video drivers several times after installing JKII, and it didn't help at all. So the suggestion that it (reinstalling dx) does help, I do not think is correct.

This baffling problem continues to plague...
 netskimmer
04-25-2002, 8:46 PM
I've noticed that all of the games that lock up like this for me use openGL(half life,half life conter strike, JO, return to Castle wolfenstein... does anybody have this lockup with a game useing Direct3D?
 Ignodium
04-25-2002, 9:23 PM
i dont know if anyone has said this (7 pages is quite alot to read) but you HAVE to change your pc from acpi to standard pc if using a higher quality graphics card and win2k or winxp. its hard to explain, go to device manager, under system (or whatever its called, towards the top) it shuold say acpi, go to properties, change driver, shoose driver from list, click all possible drivers, and then change to standard pc.

when you restart, you will have to reload all drivers. i dont know if this is your problem, but if you get a small loop of the last sound played and computer freezes in 3d games, this is probably it. acpi shares irq's, and higher end graphics cards cant share irq's with other cards.
 Teir
04-25-2002, 10:51 PM
I see alot have same issue here, mine is abit diffrent. Didnt have any freezes in SP ( maby one or two ) but nothing i couldnt deal with.
My problem is in MP, last night all the sudden it whould freeze each time a MAP whould finish - CTF, TFFA and FFA. Just as the stats menu comes up and the server gets rdy to load next map i Freeze cant do ctrl-alt-del cant alt-F4 or alt - tab, its a cold reboot i gotta do befor i can even play again. But now it seem it freezes each time a map is over and its getting really on my nervs:(

No idea what can have triggered this, because it have runned smoothly for last three weeks. For some reason i crash / freeze and it aint my drivers. As i said i have been playing smoothly for three weeks and no patch have been out yet that whould have me upgrade my drivers ( tho i dont need to ).

So its abit of a mystery to me.

AMD Athlon 800
256 Ram
NVIDIA GeF2 MX
Creative SB Audio 128 Legacy
Win98
 Simon B
04-26-2002, 12:14 AM
Originally posted by Ignodium
i dont know if anyone has said this (7 pages is quite alot to read) but you HAVE to change your pc from acpi to standard pc if using a higher quality graphics card and win2k or winxp. ...

...if you get a small loop of the last sound played and computer freezes in 3d games, this is probably it. acpi shares irq's, and higher end graphics cards cant share irq's with other cards.
Well it's early days, but I finally got round to testing this (I also read it somewhere else) and it certainly seems far more stable so far.

Cheers!
 pbdrummer
04-26-2002, 11:29 AM
I had the same problems that everyone else is having...freezing, and all. I was getting freezes in all my games with the Geforce2, but not with my voodoo3 3000. I reformatted, took out my Geforce2, put my voodoo3 back in and all my games work fine. So then I try my games (JO NOT installed) w/the Geforce and they freeze again. It must be a video card issue.
 Chiles4
04-26-2002, 12:55 PM
Ignodium...neat idea. I only use Win98SE and I always make sure that ACPI is DISABLED when using that OS. I thought that Win2k and XP would have improved upon ACPI but maybe you've got a point. Sounds like a good idea to try.
 *Fl3A*
04-26-2002, 1:41 PM
Nope its a sound card issue. i actually get a message regarding dsound when mine goes down and thats with the crash high gamma thing But i dont care anymore cause ive just introduced Jedi Outcast to CLONECD and they get on just fine.
OHhhhhhhhh look theres my receipt.
You rip me off,nahhhhhhhh i rip u offffffffff raven
 jasho
04-26-2002, 8:33 PM
You know...publically announcing that you are pirating the software in the forum that the developers are probably watching isn't exactly the quickest way to get a patch.:D
 Chiles4
04-26-2002, 8:40 PM
He's not pirating JO, he's actually making his one legal copy of the CD he bought.

But are you doing this so that you can run the game? Or just to be a smart ass? There have been posts about people making a CD copy and then being able to run off the copy.

At some point I may do the same to have a backup in case the original gets scratched but I'm way to busy killing Stormtroopers to worry about that now.

OT but anyone ever have a CD "detonate" inside their CD-ROM drive? It's not a pretty thing!
 *Fl3A*
04-26-2002, 11:51 PM
Right i might be gettin somewhere.
I have 3 versions of the game 1 original , 1 warez pre realease (on loan) and 1 clonecd version of the original.
The clonecd version behaves just like the original crashes high gamma.
The warez does not just gl errors that i fixed (use nvidia 23.11 nvopengl.dll)

When I 1st run this game I can play 4 as long as I want.
When I quit reload and carry on problems occur sooooooo
The games either writing somthing in the config or
corrupting the save files
some people report that deleting the sp.cfg file and runnin again fixes there problem so it could very well be the cfg file at fault
1 more thing when I used to level design on Q3a the 1 thing you learnt was all those "pak" files get allocated memory on launch so that could be a problem

but I still think its sound
 big_bofa
04-27-2002, 1:04 AM
I think I pretty muched fixed the whole freezing bit! My graphics card and network card were sharing the same IRQ. My sound card and USB controller were also sharing the same IRQ. So I switched the modem and sound card to different PCI slots. I also changed from ACPI to standard PC. Played JO for about an hour and a half and had no freezes. Before it would freeze after about 5-10 minutes. Hopefully it stays stable!
Page: 7 of 12