Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Linux Server howto

Page: 1 of 2
 madrebel
03-26-2002, 9:25 PM
Ok since there isnt a full howto ill write one. im missing some info like all the map names and i still dont know how to set the g_gametype flag yet since i dont have a list of what number coincides with which gametpye.

but here goes. obviously dl and follow the install instructions.

my server.cfg looks like this.

// Server Config
set sv_hostname "Reb's T1 Server"
set g_motd "Dont Be a Dick"
rconPassword "password"
sv_privatePassword "password"
sv_privateClients 1

set sv_pure 1
set sv_maxclients 19
set g_inactivity 0
set sv_maxRate 8000
set sv_maxping 200
set g_allowvote 1
set timelimit 20
set capturelimit 40
set g_autoMapCycle 1

map ffa_bespin

my command line goes like this
./jk2ded +exec server.cfg +map ffa_bespin

if you dont set the +map ffa_bespin the server wont start because it doesnt know what map to load.

If you want to be cool, you know you want to be cool. Launch the game using screen. Screen allows you to telnet/ssh into your server and attach to your servers "screen" just like youre at the console.

do this. In the user or in roots home type.

touch jk2
chmod +x jk2

open the file jk2 in your favorite editor. add these lines

cd /usr/local/games/jk2/
screen -A -m -d -S jk2 ./jk2ded +exec server.cfg +map ffa_bespin

now all you ahve to do to launch the game is go to the directory that you created the file jk2 in (remember touch jk2 created a text tile) and type in

./jk2

notice it dumps you back to a prompt, doesnt look like it did anything does it. just type screen -r jk2 and bamm youre in your servers console. To detach from screen hold down control and hit a then d.

Ill post updates when i figure out the map list and gameplay types.
 djshorty
03-27-2002, 7:02 AM
0=Free For All
1=Holocron
2=Jedi Master
3=Duel
5=Team Free For All
7=Capture the Flag
8=Capture the Ysalimari

In my search for remote admin packet structure Raven added this info as well...
 Fitz
03-28-2002, 2:40 PM
How about map rotations?
 Wintrmte
03-29-2002, 9:26 PM
FWIW, never run the game server as root. Run it as a non privledged user.
 WildManPiet
03-30-2002, 7:16 PM
First, I have used Unix so using the jargon is fine, but I am not quick at it.
I have not done the "screen" setup as I just wanted to test it first.
I set up the config as described above and I did the following on my clans FreeBSD Box and got the following error.
any ideas?

./jk2ded +exec server.cfg +map a_bespin

ELF binary type "0" not known.

Abort trap
 Wintrmte
03-30-2002, 11:53 PM
Ahh.. To fix the ELF type 0 problem, do this..

go into the directory where you have the jk2ded file, and run:

brandelf -t Linux jk2ded

That should take care of your problem.
 WildManPiet
03-31-2002, 1:01 AM
Thanks! Now that is solved, and it wont work b/c it cant read mpdefault.cfg.

Where do I get a mpdefault.cfg as an example to make one for this server?
 gimli_aa
03-31-2002, 8:41 AM
I did the same server.cfg as you did at the top..

I get the following while running ./jk2ded +exec server.cfg +map ffa_bespin

Well more like things that could not load I think

couldn't exec jk2mpconfig.cfg
couldn't exec autoexec.cfg

then after a few lines of stuff.. like initgame: blahblah

at the end I get

Resolving masterjk2.ravensoft.com
Couldn't resolve address: masterjk2.ravensoft.com
Hitch warning: 16567 msec frame time

Any fixes or ideas why it does this? I am relearning linux and stuff, and wouldnt mind trying to set up a small dedicated server which sits behind a router.

Thanx :atat:
 Vertex
03-31-2002, 10:30 AM
Hi there I followed the first post about setting up a server but using:

\jk2mp.exe" +set dedicated 2 +set net_port 28075 +exec server.cfg +map ffa_bespin

for a windows setup

All seems to work but the server PW :-(
ive set as you showed

sv_privatePassword "password"
sv_privateClients 1

but this fails to PW the server
What am I missing here ?
I'm new to setting up Q3 style servers and only know HL setups

Hope some1 can help
 Demon646
03-31-2002, 10:27 PM
I really appreciate your time with this thread. It will be very helpful; however, I have not been able to find (in these forums and elsewhere) the linux binaries!!!

Does anyone know where I can get them? I've tried jediknightii.net and shacknews. I seem to have missed it. or just can't find the link!!

thanks. :deathii:

<edit>
also... is it a tar file or what?

thanks again...
<edit>
 ThoMMo
03-31-2002, 10:48 PM
i've had the same problem with sv_privatepassword "password", it just won't password the damn server.
 madrebel
03-31-2002, 10:51 PM
Originally posted by ThoMMo
i've had the same problem with sv_privatepassword "password", it just won't password the damn server. its not supposed to.

sv_password "password" locks the server.

sv_privatepassword "password" allows you to lock 1 spot (or more if you choose) for

sv_privateclients "x" (where x = the number of spots you want to be private).

for instance i have a 11 player sabers only server. only 10 spots are open to anyone allowing me to always join my own server using the private password.
 gimli_aa
04-01-2002, 1:13 AM
I found them at um Ravengames site.

Let me see if I can find the URL

http://www.bluesnews.com/files/jedioutcast/jk2linuxded.shtml)

http://www.3dgamers.com/games/jedioutcast/)

Are a couple of places
 ThoMMo
04-01-2002, 2:20 AM
ahhh my mistake

reserved spots, i know what your talking about.

i was after g_password
 ThoMMo
04-01-2002, 2:23 AM
getting an error for linuxded, couldn't load mpdefault.cfg

*update*

helps if i copied all the files from the cd hey?
 MarleY
04-01-2002, 2:51 AM
I've tried:

sv_password "password"
and
seta sv_password "password"

and neither of them will lock the server. Do I need to add anythink else?

And is there anyway to set the port and game type in the server config file?
 Devo
04-01-2002, 3:00 AM
Originally posted by MarleY
I've tried:

sv_password "password"
and
seta sv_password "password"

and neither of them will lock the server. Do I need to add anythink else?

And is there anyway to set the port and game type in the server config file?

seta g_needpass 1
seta g_password "whatever"
seta net_port "28070" // or whatever port you want
seta g_gametype 3 //1 ffa, 2 holocron, 3 duel, 5 team ffa, 7 ctf, 8 cty
 MarleY
04-01-2002, 3:35 AM
Thx Devo
 Demon646
04-01-2002, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by gimli_aa
I found them at um Ravengames site.
THANK YOU so much! I can't believe I didn't check ravensoft :\

Thanks again! You're a genious!
 WildManPiet
04-02-2002, 12:08 AM
Originally posted by ThoMMo
getting an error for linuxded, couldn't load mpdefault.cfg

*update*

helps if i copied all the files from the cd hey?

There is no mpdefault.cfg on my cd... please elaborate!
 gimli_aa
04-02-2002, 4:31 PM
Just bumpin this.

Also if anyone else has successfully installed and currently runs a server.. please post =)

What Linux your runnin
What options you have
How you installed it
What specs your box has =)

And all that jazz!

When I try to start my server. It stops after is has found the ravengames broadcast site.. maps and all that stuff seems to load fine, the server.cfg file seems to load without any problems..

Just get a hitch error... and i dont know why =)

thanx
 MatrixCPA
04-02-2002, 5:13 PM
I'd post all that, but for the sake of saving time I'll just let you know that a Hitch Warning is just the server saying, "Hey, it took me a bit to do this and that might have created some lag for anyone connected to the server." It's normal to get that when you startup the server and sometimes during a map change. As long as it's not constant, you're ok.

After all the startup stuff goes by and you see the heartbeat send and hitch warning type this:

status

See if it shows you the map and player list (probably empty since you just started it up). If it does, then the server is up and running just fine. You won't see anything else in the console until someone joins, there's a map change, or another heartbeat is sent to the master server. If it says, "server not running", then we have an issue to resolve. Let me know.
 gimli_aa
04-02-2002, 9:30 PM
Hehe

Ok, I thought I would of gotten a 'Server is UP' type message.

Didnt know that, that was the actualy game console.

Anyway its up and I can log in via my internal IP address. Now I need to wait for some friends to get home from work and test it out via my external IP. My firewall likes to deny my trying to connnect to something which is within my network via the external ip and port forwarding.

Now all I have to do is find all of the different server options, document them and then configure them to what I want.

Thank you for the help! hehe
 ZeroGravitySE
04-03-2002, 2:30 AM
Whats the command for running the server in the background?
 Devo
04-03-2002, 3:41 AM
Originally posted by ZeroGravitySE

Read the original post, then go read up on how screen works.

There is a win32 dedicated server now if you do not wish to learn linux.
 madrebel
04-03-2002, 4:52 AM
Originally posted by gimli_aa
Just bumpin this.

What Linux your runnin
What options you have
How you installed it
What specs your box has =)

When I try to start my server. It stops after is has found the ravengames broadcast site.. maps and all that stuff seems to load fine, the server.cfg file seems to load without any problems..

Just get a hitch error... and i dont know why =)

thanx add +map ffa_bespin or whichever map you wish to start with. Without that in the path the server doesnt know which map to load even if its in your mpdefault.cfg or server.cfg.

my server specs are
p3 500 128megs rammy t1 line SuSE 7.2 = 17 player ffa

p2 450 512megs rammy t1 line SuSE 7.2 = 17 player cty

p3 500 384 megs rammy 1.1 meg sdsl Debian 2.4.18 = 11 player sabers only ffa

ive never seen more than 63% utilization on the cpu for any of these machines with like 1% memory usage. I hate SuSE but im forced to run it at work =( debian is muy bueno.
 MatrixCPA
04-03-2002, 5:12 AM
Originally posted by madrebel
add +map ffa_bespin or whichever map you wish to start with. Without that in the path the server doesnt know which map to load even if its in your mpdefault.cfg or server.cfg.

That's strange. His setup was working perfectly, he just didn't know what it was supposed to look like. I don't have +map in my command line and it loads the map from the server.cfg just fine. I guess we're just lucky. ;)
 ZeroGravitySE
04-03-2002, 1:54 PM

I meant how do you run it in the background for linux?
 BoneGavel
04-03-2002, 1:55 PM

Add a '&' to the end of your command

e.g.

./jk2ded +exec server.cfg &

Once you do this, it will run the server and set you at a blank line beneath the initilization text as normal. Then, hit enter and it should bring you back to the command line.

Do a ps -ax and you should see the server humming along.

matt
 MatrixCPA
04-03-2002, 2:20 PM
I prefer to use screen myself. But, it's a personal preference issue. ;)
 Cenuij
04-04-2002, 6:50 PM
OK

can anyone come up with a solution for my problem..

I got the linux server up and running OK. I set a password on the server when it was running as a duel server so only myself and my friends could play. I have changed my cfg back to running an FFA server however g_needpass 1 is still set!

It makes no difference if I specify set g_needpass 0 in the cfg file it simply will not change back. When i try and change g_needpass at the system console or with rcon it reports that g_needpass is read only and cannot be changed.

Now just wtf is up with that? I noticed that the linux server seems to load some sort of file into the virtual machine at startup. Does this have anything to do with the prob?

Cheers

Cen
 cpnhowdy
04-06-2002, 7:07 PM
Someone posted on another thread that this binary has a memory leak and a possible exploit like the 1.29 Q3 release. Anyone experience anything? So far my machine has been up and running fine for the past 4 days.

Dual p3 800 512MB Ram 100mb fiber optic line
Red Hat 7.2 = 8 player ffa
 MatrixCPA
04-06-2002, 7:30 PM
Originally posted by Cenuij
OK

can anyone come up with a solution for my problem..

I got the linux server up and running OK. I set a password on the server when it was running as a duel server so only myself and my friends could play. I have changed my cfg back to running an FFA server however g_needpass 1 is still set!

It makes no difference if I specify set g_needpass 0 in the cfg file it simply will not change back. When i try and change g_needpass at the system console or with rcon it reports that g_needpass is read only and cannot be changed.
Cen

what you need to do is add this to the server.cfg:

seta g_password ""

-or- type this into the remote console

seta g_password none

-or- via rcon (without rcon pass set)

/rcon rconpass seta g_password none

-or- via rcon (with rcon pass set)

/set rconpassword rconpass

/rcon seta g_password none

You need to use the word 'none' in the console and rcon because the "" are removed and if you type /rcon seta g_password "" it'll just think you're asking what the password is. ;)
 dorkyboy
04-10-2002, 4:54 AM
Good thread, needs a bump, aaaand, I've got a problem.

Trying to run a Linux ded server on BSD. I've followed the install instrauctiona dna made some changes to config files etc after having a read here. I also noticed someone else a few pages down saying they had probs with BSD because of the emu installation but unfortunately, what the exact problems were he didn't say.

The hassle I've got is that after I enter the command line nothing happens. Nothing at all. No errors, no server, no nothing. Cursor drops down to the next line, and then nada.

As fas as I can see, the setup, install and config is all fine, so all I can think of are possibly permission problems on files or directories, maybe the server doesn't like being run from my user's home directory (I have root on the server, but it's not mine, so I don't like creating directories under /usr/local/games etc willy nilly) or maybe something to do with BSD.

I have the server in /home/dorkyboy/jk2 which I have set as a+x as are all the files in that directory including the base dir and any files in there. I've also tried chowning everything to root and chrgp to wheel because my Tribes 2 server didn't want to run before I did that, but it hasn't helped at all.

My config file follows:

<snip>
// Server Config
seta sv_hostname "AE Bubberdome Jedi Stylin'"
set g_motd "COMRADE BUBBER PITIES THE LAZY IMPERIALIST!"
rconPassword "password"

set sv_pure 1
set sv_maxclients 8
set g_inactivity 0
sv_maxRate 10000
set g_allowvote 1
set timelimit 20
set capturelimit 20
set g_autoMapCycle 1

map ffa_bespin

</snip>

So, anyone got any clues?
 MatrixCPA
04-10-2002, 5:48 AM
What's your command line look like? If you're using a startup script, let's see that too. I don't know if it really makes a difference, but just because I'm weird, I like to put seta in front of the rconpassword cvar.
 dorkyboy
04-10-2002, 5:58 AM
Just regular stuff..

./jk2ded +exec server.cfg + map ffa_bespin as suggested at the top of the thread.

I'm also talking to the guy who owns the machine..he's been trying to run a server as well apparently and is getting exactly the same result. He suspects it's to do with the BSD/Linux Emulation?
 MatrixCPA
04-10-2002, 2:29 PM
That would be a good place to start. Have the admin make sure that all the emu bunk is in place and appears to be working. I would normally expect at least an error message of some kind. Certainly makes it harder to troubleshoot w/o.
 Ogmios
04-11-2002, 2:06 AM
I am running a server on a FreeBSD 4.5 box and it works fine. I had to change the elf to linux as mentioned above. Other than that it works fine. However I am using the default config, I changed everything to what I needed but I haven't added anything extra yet. I am running on a pIII 500 with 384 megs of ram, I am going to buy two more 256 meg sticks this weekend. (been wanting to do that for a while, running MySQL and Apache, sshd, etc so I need more memory anyway). However, instead of using screen (which is a good idea) I did "nohup <server commands> &" then hit enter and typed "bg 1" to send it to the background (I was logged in remotely when I did it).

I have a question though, I am using a dynamic IP. So does that mean I should make my startup script restart the server if the IP changes, or is it aware of such changes? (I get the feeling from watching it start up that the answer is no, it is not aware of ip changes) I already have a cron job that telnets into my router and pulls my public IP and notifies my dynamicDNS service if it is different from the last time it ran, i can just add it to that if I have to.

Ogmios
:duel:
 MatrixCPA
04-11-2002, 3:23 AM
I believe you are correct that the server doesn't recognize an ip change. That could make for quite a mess. Hopefully, it doesn't change too often. I'm guessing that it changes when the router goes down (power outage) or your isp takes a dump. That's the boat I'm in at home. I get a new ip about once every month or two. Thankfully, my server is on a dedicated line with it's own ip address. ;)
 KandyFLip
04-11-2002, 11:09 AM
OK.. I was looking here for help with the "Sys_Error: Couldn't load mpdefault.cfg" error... but didn't see a solution... then I found the solution. So, for anyone else's reference:

If I try to start jk2 from some other directory (like my home dir) I get that error. But, if I cd to the game dir first it starts up just fine. Hope that helps some peeps.

OK... now for my other problem: How might I start my server running in the background in such a way that I can then log out and it'll still be running?
My server is hidden in some deep dark corner and has no keyboard or monitor, so all I use is telnet. I've tried ending the command with '&' but still, if I log out of telnet, it takes the server down with it.

Any help? please? pretty please? pretty pretty please with Kandy on top?

Oh yeah, if it matters much:
Celeron 733
160 MB RAM (shush!)
SuSe 7.3 on the 2.2.19 kernel (UT webadmin didn't like 2.4 kernel)
T1

Thanks in advance for any help :)
 Wintrmte
04-11-2002, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by KandyFLip
OK.. I was looking here for help with the "Sys_Error: Couldn't load mpdefault.cfg" error... but didn't see a solution... then I found the solution. So, for anyone else's reference:

If I try to start jk2 from some other directory (like my home dir) I get that error. But, if I cd to the game dir first it starts up just fine. Hope that helps some peeps.

OK... now for my other problem: How might I start my server running in the background in such a way that I can then log out and it'll still be running?
My server is hidden in some deep dark corner and has no keyboard or monitor, so all I use is telnet. I've tried ending the command with '&' but still, if I log out of telnet, it takes the server down with it.

Any help? please? pretty please? pretty pretty please with Kandy on top?

Oh yeah, if it matters much:
Celeron 733
160 MB RAM (shush!)
SuSe 7.3 on the 2.2.19 kernel (UT webadmin didn't like 2.4 kernel)
T1

Thanks in advance for any help :)

Use screen. It is a fantastic utility that will let you reattach to the server session and is more friendly than using &

For example, all you have to do to start the server inside screen is:

screen -S jedi ./jk2ded <your server arguments>

The screen will blank, and the server starts up. At this point:

press ctrl+a, then press the d key by it's self. You should see a line that says

[Screen detached]

The server is still running though. You can logout safely at this point.

Now, to get back into your running server, all you have to do is log into your box as the user who is running the jk2ded process (that you screen'd)

and type:

screen -r jedi

You should now be in your server. Do the same (ctrl+a, then d) to get back out.

Hope this helps.
 rivmin
04-11-2002, 12:53 PM
 KandyFLip
04-11-2002, 2:58 PM
groovy. thanks a lot. KandyLand is now up and running :D

now if only they'd fix the forcedisable flag....
 MatrixCPA
04-11-2002, 3:13 PM
Originally posted by Wintrmte
press ctrl+a, then press the d key by it's self

You can hold down cntl the whole time, hit a then d and it'll still work. ;)
 neutrino
04-11-2002, 8:19 PM
Anyone try to have multiple servers on one box? I'm going to attempt to run 5 on a p4 2.2 with 1 gig of ram. They are all ladder duel servers so there will only be 2 people per server...

Think it's possible? also could I screen all five servers? Would this be easier on a windows box?
 MatrixCPA
04-11-2002, 9:44 PM
Personally, I don't think it would be easier on a win box....but I'm a linux admin. ;) I have 2 servers running on a tbird 900 with 512mb of ram without any problem. One server is 20 max the other is 24 max. I would think that 5, 2 player servers would be cake on a p4 2.2/1gig. Yes, I would screen them all and have them all setup to auto-restart (script). I'd title all the screens too...but I'm just anal about organization. ;)
 Ogmios
04-11-2002, 9:55 PM
KandyFLip,

I used nohup '<sever command>' &. Then when I hit enter it would stop the process so I did bg <job number>, you can type 'jobs' at the command line and it will show you the job number, most likely it will be 1. Note that the sever commands are in single quotes.

Hope this helps.

Ogmios
 Ogmios
04-11-2002, 10:00 PM
Screen works just fine too though :luke:
 jk2-digger
04-13-2002, 6:21 PM
Stay away from Windoze, its da debil! =)

Seriously though I agree with Matrix, it would be much easier and more efficient on a Linux/Unix OS than in Windows. You should have no problems running all of that on a 2Gig-er
 olgrandad
04-13-2002, 7:54 PM
Alright, I'm about to pull my hair out trying to get this to work correctly. :eek: Here's my configuration:
Mandrake 8.2 (Intel)
eth1 - internet interface
eth0 - LAN interface
iptables (MonMotha firewall script)

Now, my problem is that I can't seem to get my server to show up on a master list at all. I am running different services over my external interface and am able to access them via the internet from many locations, so my firewall is working properly (I have poked a hole in my firewall for UDP port 28070). As a matter of a fact, I had a buddy connect, via the internet, to my server by IP address and it was fine, but I wasn't showing on the master list. So, what am I missing? I have used the configuration listed in this post, and a great many others too. Here's my current server.cfg:

// Server Config
set sv_hostname "-::-"
set g_motd "STFU Techlogic"
set rconPassword "password"
set g_needpass 1
set g_password "password"
set sv_privatePassword "password"
set sv_privateClients 2

set sv_pure 1
set sv_maxclients 10
set g_inactivity 0
set sv_maxRate 8000
set sv_maxping 200
set g_allowvote 1
set timelimit 20
set capturelimit 40
set g_autoMapCycle 1
set hunkMegs 128
set net_port 28070

map ffa_bespin

And here is my command line:

jk2ded +set dedicated 2 +set net_ip w.x.y.z +exec server.cfg

I thank you all in advance for the help you're going to give
:D, and as a token of my appreciation, I leave you with this server script I wrote:
Linux JK2 Server Startup Script (http://www.montazer.org/games/jk2/jk2serv.sh)

Hopefully you will find it useful.

Thanks,
olgrandad
Page: 1 of 2