Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Radiant Compatibility

Page: 1 of 1
 G0SP0DAR
03-19-2002, 12:20 PM
Many moons ago, I used Radiant to make some b1tch1n' Q3A maps. I never got a chance to finish them before id switched up the MP protocol on me.

I'd like to know if it is possible, and if possible, easy, for me to convert my Q3A devmaps to JKII devmaps and finish them up there. That would really give me a head start on my JKII development!
 Roger
03-19-2002, 12:35 PM
If they are just maps with basic brushes and nothing fancy, I think it should work...
 G0SP0DAR
03-19-2002, 4:21 PM
Mirrors too? I suppose that's not such a big deal, because it is mostly all brushes in its current state. I save patches for the very end, although there were some issues early on with mirrors in Q3A. I'm hoping JKII will support multiple mirrors.
 UniKorn
03-20-2002, 6:35 AM
Same engine, same mirror problem.

You can convert them, but you'll need to remove all your id textures for copyright reasons, and you'll need to change the items in the map as well.
 G0SP0DAR
03-20-2002, 10:53 PM
Originally posted by UniKorn
Same engine, same mirror problem.

You can convert them, but you'll need to remove all your id textures for copyright reasons, and you'll need to change the items in the map as well. Heh, no problem. id's textures never cut it for me ;) I like to make my own. As for the items, sheesh. That could make things difficult, even though I didn't have that many. They were hard to make get along. But are you sure that the engine is going to be exactly the same? I mean, if it were, I'd have thought that LucasArts would have just licensed the mother of all mods to id ;)
 UniKorn
03-21-2002, 1:49 AM
I am 100% the same. And they probably have given it to Raven because of their magnificent single player experiences and their experience with the Q3 engine.

And light entities etcetera normally stay the same, I'm talking about the weapons and the ammo.
 UniKorn
03-21-2002, 1:49 AM
Ehm, with 100% I was a bit wrong, Raven has added new stuff of course ;)
 James
03-21-2002, 8:15 AM
I read somewhere that only 10% of the original Q3 code was untouched. Not sure exactly where though, maybe in one of the many previews.
 UniKorn
03-21-2002, 8:23 AM
I think it is in 1 of the interviews with Mike Gummelt. But the thing is that that is not important for us. The only things important for us are the features q3map supports and which entities are used in JK2:Outcast. The visual effects that have been changed aren't important for us.
 G0SP0DAR
03-22-2002, 2:22 AM
I'm hoping it's true that there were some significant modifications (improvements ;)) to the engine. Q3A had a great engine and all that, but time marches on...
 James
03-22-2002, 8:34 AM
I get ya UniKorn.
 UniKorn
04-01-2002, 8:23 AM
Yeah, but I was a bit wrong after all. There is some stuff appearantly that has changed, and the bsp's aren't compatible anymore :(

But the tools will be released soon (can't wait ;) )

UniKorn
Mapper 4 Wired Lamp Studios
http://www.wiredlampstudios.com)
Page: 1 of 1