Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Help with fighting the Destroyer Droids

Page: 1 of 1
 markos
03-18-2002, 1:12 AM
Rebels and Wookies are my favorite sides to play. Although the Rebels have Airspeeders it seems that nothing I try works against the Destroyer Droid. When I had played the other day in a 3v3 rm all three of the players on the opposing team were playing the Trade Federation.

Assault Mechs, gernade troopers, and fighters the book says but, it seems that none of these work too well. I have tried the mounted troopers too with no luck. The losses I seem to suffer against a army of DD's sometimes is huge.

Anyone know any good combos for defeating them????
:x-wing:

Any help would be appreciated...................
 duder
03-18-2002, 7:17 AM
Mech destroyers are my tactic against them. Air speeders are good at it to. Assault Mechs blow them to bits (as they do with anything). But you need them in mass to be effective. 10 DD will slaughter one assault mech.

If you are wooks stick with mech destroyers, if you are Rebels go with Air Speeders and destroyers!
 Chessack
03-18-2002, 12:13 PM
Air power works quite well against them. They can't fire back, so you have all the time in the world to take 'em out. Bombers and figthers en masse do a nice job.

Grenadiers and assult mechs will work, but you need a lot of them. Put them inside the radius of a shield generator, to take away the shield advantage of the droidekas, and you'll be fine.
 Rogue15
03-19-2002, 9:33 AM
bombers and artillery....artillery might do the trick if you can get the drop on them.
 Rogue15
03-19-2002, 9:34 AM
oh and fortresses with a shield generator and 20 troops in each!
 MM-86
04-05-2002, 9:27 AM
Battledroids, AT-ST, AT-AT, AAT, MTT.
And mechs, all mechs.:atat: :bdroid2:
 _Xenocide_
04-05-2002, 1:07 PM
Well, not many good TF players will leave HDD alone without support here are some common combos and their counters for armies with a max of 20 units

Combo 1 (TF): 8 HDD, 4 AA mobiles, 6 MD, 2 AM.

Counter 1a (Gung): 3 famba shield gens, 14 MD, 3 jedi nights (turn three of the HDD, keeping your masters under your shield).
Counter 1b (Reb): 20 air speeders. Take out AA, rest is dead.
Counter 1c (Empire): 8 DarkStorm, 3 AM, 9 MD.
Counter 1d (naboo): boy, can't think of a cheap counter. Naboo units are so expensive.
Counter 1e (Wookies): 10 MD, 5 artil, 5 berserkers.

Well, that's usually what I use :0
 The Red Master
04-12-2002, 6:45 AM
Use many air-units our build many Jedi masters!!!! :)
 _HaZeKniGhT
04-12-2002, 6:17 PM
BOMBERS
 LSF_Ewok
04-13-2002, 8:32 PM
just build masss grenade troopers or mech destroyers :atat: :deathii: :ewok:
 KhaleeLah
04-16-2002, 5:37 PM
I play Wooks almost exclusively and I always use MASSED mech destroyers against the TF. Works great. Especially if you micromanage and have them target the DDs 1 by 1.

KL
 ForestEntII
04-27-2002, 11:25 PM
The thing that works the best for me is using mech destroyers, they are extremely effective :D
 Natopo
04-27-2002, 11:29 PM
MD's are a great solution to your problem. A couple of those and they're dead.
 KhaleeLah
04-29-2002, 12:19 PM
yep. mech destroyers. and if you throw in some bombers you shouldn't have much problems. Just don't let them mass on you. If you know your enemy is playing tf, start making those mds early.
 project_future
05-09-2002, 11:54 PM
Actually _Xenocide_, the Naboo military units are the cheapest in the game, because of a little T4 reasearch called Taxtation which decreases the cost of ALL military units by 10%.
 Imperial Bashar
05-12-2002, 12:25 AM
Fighting Destroyer Droids

Generally infantry won't be very effective unless you outnumber the DD significantly.

Grenade troopers have trouble targeting targets that move. Grenade troopers have range issues also. Computer controlled grenade troopers can both retreat and fire at the same time, a technique my fingers have not mastered.

Fighters might work as DD cannot fire back. Fighters can be expensive to develop and usually have long build times.

Assualt mechs are both expensive to build and research. They cause massive damage, particularly v. infantry, buildings and terrain. They are one of the handful of units that can take down castles, err fortresses. From a cost-benefit analysis I don't think they are the best solution to DD masses.

Bombers might work, they have trouble with moving targets but the DD at least cannot shoot back, this being a relevant difference from grenade troopers.

Mech Destroyers are the best counter for DDs or AATs. Their bonuses v. Mechs are strong enough to be worth building regardless of exactly which upgrades are on a race's tech tree.

As a general rule of thumb, if an opponent is trying to overrun your position with a single weapon system (ie DD), the exact counter for that weapon system (Mech Destroyer) is usually the most cost effective resistance. In many games the ultimate winner is the one who manages resources the most effectively.

:atat:
 Gaming Nut
05-24-2002, 5:23 AM
I can do the thing the comp dose with greand troopers Thing is you hace to control them all the time you jsut wairt for the antmtions of them pulling the string to fire and bonud them abck the adnes already in the air by the time you isssue the command. The comp can jsut do it with like 10 sperate ones at a time. Im not sure what range issue you speak Of casue Greadne trooper outranges a HDD.

If he brings up his DD in line and they stay fraily close to that formation greande troopers are the best conuter. As the spalsh takes them out whole sale if they cluster. they need some edge in numbers but not a big one 1 on 1 they will always lose but when used in groups their power of clusted mechs is god like. A few AM as abckup are good to.

If they spread out alot MD are the best they can take a HDD one on one which is what a running battles with spread out units tends to become.

Fighters unless used in HUGE numbers are not going to take them out before they can run to AA bombers might work but still HDD might be fast enough to escape.

Gungans are the best race to conuter them Since all their units get sheilds.

Jedi can also be effctive if only as a way to spread out the DD and keep fire away from your conuter units. THey can take alot of hits its almost like they have weakness against jedi but I somewho dought it.
 Gaming Nut
05-24-2002, 5:29 AM
I can do the thing the comp dose with greand troopers Thing is you hace to control them all the time you jsut wairt for the antmtions of them pulling the string to fire and bonud them abck the adnes already in the air by the time you isssue the command. The comp can jsut do it with like 10 sperate ones at a time. Im not sure what range issue you speak Of casue Greadne trooper outranges a HDD.

If he brings up his DD in line and they stay fraily close to that formation greande troopers are the best conuter. As the spalsh takes them out whole sale if they cluster. they need some edge in numbers but not a big one 1 on 1 they will always lose but when used in groups their power of clusted mechs is god like. A few AM as abckup are good to.

If they spread out alot MD are the best they can take a HDD one on one which is what a running battles with spread out units tends to become.

Fighters unless used in HUGE numbers are not going to take them out before they can run to AA bombers might work but still HDD might be fast enough to escape.

Gungans are the best race to conuter them Since all their units get sheilds.

Jedi can also be effctive if only as a way to spread out the DD and keep fire away from your conuter units. THey can take alot of hits its almost like they have weakness against jedi but I somewho dought it.
 Mr_Frawst
05-27-2002, 7:00 PM
im with hazeknight, BOMBERZ! :D :D :D
 jedi3112
06-08-2002, 12:15 PM
I usually use 2 sometimes 3 air cruisers against them they blast those DD back into space dust. Those things are expensive indeed but only AA units can fire back and the cruiser outranges almost every unit and it doesn't have a minimal range and can fire on air targets as well. Just make sure the DD aren't in your base couse else you can start rebuilding that part of your base. Jedi starfighters might also work but I haven't tried it yet.
 nelapsi
06-12-2002, 12:13 PM
Other than the "bomb them back to the stone age" strategy and using air cruisers which just plain aren't condusive to life, I find that the cheapest way to deal with them is to use a 2:2:1 ratio of artillery to mech destroyers to strike mechs... if you play as the GE like I do, substitude dark troopers for the strike mechs.

Hope I helped... Thanks for Playing... Peace Out...
 ROYAL_DUCK
06-16-2002, 8:24 AM
U MIGHT WANT TO TRY AIR CRUISERS (i havent tried this yet so...)
 Grey_Leader11
06-16-2002, 12:33 PM
mechs:atat:
 Kryllith
06-18-2002, 12:29 AM
Originally posted by ROYAL_DUCK
U MIGHT WANT TO TRY AIR CRUISERS (i havent tried this yet so...)
It works, but intelligent players will have AA troops/artillery and fighters accompanying their HHDs...

Kryllith
 jedi3112
06-19-2002, 9:02 PM
Originally posted by Kryllith

It works, but intelligent players will have AA troops/artillery and fighters accompanying their HHDs...

Kryllith

Use 2 aircruisers, have them near your base and have your base protected by AA turrets, as you always should
 Kryllith
06-19-2002, 10:48 PM
And hope they don't have cannons/air cruisers ;)

Kryllith
 jedi3112
06-20-2002, 10:54 PM
Originally posted by Kryllith
And hope they don't have cannons/air cruisers ;)

Kryllith

Normal turrets should take care of enemy AA units, if they have Aircruisers, send in some fighters, if they have cannons blast them with Aircruisers, if the enemy has fighters they still need to get near your Aircruisers to take them out. Since both AA turrets and Aircruisers have quite a large range, keep your Aircruiser inside the AA turret range and fire on the cannon
 Kryllith
06-21-2002, 12:07 AM
Problem is that cannons have better range than air cruisers. When the Air cruisers come out to take out the cannons, the AA turrets lose some of their ability to defend them; that's when the fighers; AA units come into play.

Kryllith
 MadrixTF
06-24-2002, 4:54 PM
I think it would be best just to surrender if you come against a Pro TF player (just kiddin'). I am a TF player and the Civ that gives me the most problem is Gungans due their Mobile Shield generators - Also, sometimes Rebel Alliance - they are superior in the Air and can take out an a TF army on route to battle, so by the time they arrive for battle their army is weakened. I find it takes my AA troopers too long to take out a squadron of Rebel Fighters.
Also, the idea of using Jedi Masters to turn DD's is a really good one - this always sends me back to my fortress for protection!
Good Luck - 'cause you gonna need it!
 RF_Gandalf
06-24-2002, 11:17 PM
Problem with Naboo vs HDDs is that even though taxation gives cheaper units, the best usual counters against HDDs (HMDs and grenaders) are weak with the Naboo. Naboo do not get the HMD upgrade (though they get some good general mech upgrades that improve them).

So when playing Naboo, Air and Jedi are their strongest units vs HDDs, and even with taxation they are not cheap, and they are not easy to mass. You will need to be flexible - go with what the enemy gives you. Use Air units (bombers are the best vs. HDDs) if the enemy is lacking air defense, use Jedi to convert some HDDs and back up these units with some admittedly weak grenaders or MDs. Put up a shield generator to cover your jedi and other units if possible.

I think that the Naboo have the hardest time with HDDs of any of the civs, because I have found the HMDs to be most effective against those units
 shadowriath
12-13-2002, 3:58 AM
This unit in the topic is the unmatched best foot unit. Only units that can give it problems in a one on one is Wook Bersk, and Naboo Crusad. (tested units out in editer) Jedi master's also give it problems....but they are a more speacilized foot unit. This foot unit is also one of very few that takes 2-3 hits from AC to take down.

I usealy play TF but can do nicely with all. The mixup I bring out with TF stands as:

5-15 HDDs, 4-6 MDs, 2-3 AMs, 2-3 AC (frontal path sweeping), 2-4 cannons (anti-fortress), 10-20 adv fighters (mostly AC intercept), 5 adv bombers. Throw in 5-10 AAMs if Repub, Rebal, Naboo air are involved. Most expensive part here is the resreaching like usealy and the AC's.

I just wish DD's did not have to roll with any moveing they do. Would be nice if they could do small steps with their tripod legs. Also fired alternating arms not both at once.
 AT-ATNemesis
09-28-2005, 3:57 PM
air cruisers
 Captain-Panaka7
06-23-2006, 5:14 PM
I hate air cruisers.I prefer to use soldiers all the time since it's not cheating air cruisers are basically cheating Even tho they seem to die fast
 Kryllith
06-30-2006, 2:19 PM
I hate air cruisers.I prefer to use soldiers all the time since it's not cheating air cruisers are basically cheating Even tho they seem to die fast

Using soldiers against destroyer droids (especially Heavy ones) is tantamount to suicide though. Grenade troopers might have some success, but even they will get wiped out. Mech destroyers/Assaults are better, but better still is air since the destroyers can't hit them. Fighters aren't very good against them, but bombers work quite well. As for air cruisers, I don't really consider them cheating. Fighters wipe out ACs very quickly Anti-air (especially retrofitted) work fairly well too. Considering their slow speed, high cost (and repair cost), and long recharge time, ACs can be quite detrimental to their user's economy if their opponent takes advantage of their weaknesses.

Kryllith
 CLONECOMMANDER501
05-20-2007, 10:09 AM
Heavy mechs for me :D
Page: 1 of 1