Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Curse of Monkey Island Speedup error on XP

Page: 1 of 1
 RipVTide
02-18-2002, 2:53 PM
Well, Cut scenes or part of cut scenes (the parts that are rendered in video rather then drawn I beleive) and certain realtime puzzles (like the guitarr playing duel) go at an immense speed so that you can't see or partake of them, making the game nearly unplayable. The puzzle is unsolvable for exmaple, since It's much to fast.

My system:

1ghz Pentium2, 512meg ram, geforce2, soundblaster live.

XP home.
 bgbennyboy
02-18-2002, 5:55 PM
Hmmmm, I'll have a play through sometime this week and see if my system does that.
As a temporary fix to get past the puzzles use a "computer-slowing-down-thingie" can remember the names of any of em off hand. Do a search......
Or just load loads of stuff up and slow it down manually
Hint-encoding a divx can take up a lot of processor power
 RipVTide
02-19-2002, 11:49 AM
"slowing down the computer"

Oh great. Feel like I'm trying to get Wing Commander to work all over agin ;)
 bgbennyboy
02-20-2002, 2:23 PM
Not sure when I'm gonna get time to play through it.
Just thought;
Have you tried running it in compatability mode for 95 or 98/me?
 RipVTide
02-23-2002, 7:29 AM
-smacks self on head-

Forgot I had win98 on the other partition. I'll try that out tonight.
 bgbennyboy
03-03-2002, 12:46 PM
I have been reliably informed by someone who knows about these things. That the version of the SCUMM engine used in CMI has timing problems on XP for some people.
Dont know how to fix it though.
 Kjшlen
03-10-2002, 6:54 PM
Maybe you need to download the CMI patch. Win XP may look good but it is bad for Monkey Island games. I've seen a lot of technical problems because of Win XP, but only one for Win 2000, maybe you should get that. Of course I've seen none for win3.1, 95, 98 or ME but they are terrible Operating systems in my opinion.
 bgbennyboy
03-11-2002, 5:44 AM
Patch?
What patch?
I didnt think a CMI patch existed.
Link please!

Xp is fine for monkey island games. All my monkey island games work fine on XP
 MrManager
03-11-2002, 9:54 AM
The only CMI "patch" I know of, is the one which let's you see/hear the Pirate Song in foreign versions of the game.
 bgbennyboy
03-11-2002, 12:22 PM
Yeah, perhaps Kjшlen is getting mixed up with the EMI patch ?
 Dalixam
04-03-2002, 4:39 PM
I don't mean to plug my own forums, but there is a thread on the WMI forums with a solution to the problem:

http://www.worldofmi.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=642)
 bgbennyboy
04-06-2002, 12:01 PM
And it works too!

Just in case that thread ever gets deleted or those forums go down I`ll post it here

"Go to Start, Run, and type dxdiag

Under the sound options, You should see a slider that says "Hardware sound acceleration level" Lower that to "Basic Acceleration" and exit dxdiag. "

Works great
Of course you should remember to put the acceleration back when youve finished..........

Well done Lindaan
 Haxaty
04-06-2002, 1:45 PM
I would worry more about Lucasforums being down then the WMI forums.. :o

Was there any point at all in your paraphrasing of the topic? It looks more to me like you want to have the last word in every single technical help topic... :p
 bgbennyboy
04-06-2002, 3:54 PM
Hey after the server move Lucasforums are damm good
The WMI forums WERE down the first time I tried thats why I put it here.

Of course now you`ll have to reply otherwise ill have the last word in this topic too.........
 Haggis
04-06-2002, 5:53 PM
Sheesh! I have to come here all the way from... here, to calm everyone down (ok, not everyone). There is no use in having the last word in each topic, and I do not wish to say anything else, because I hate to see kittens die (long story). :)
Page: 1 of 1