Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

$10 a month!!!!! BULL$^!(

Page: 1 of 1
 syd12
02-13-2002, 11:33 PM
I really thought this would be a cool game, and still might be but why am I gonna be forced to pay $10 a month to play the game??? I think this is rediculous!! There are plenty of games I play online for free!
 Juztyn
02-13-2002, 11:48 PM
http://www.swgalaxies.net/articles/article.php3?article_id=5)

I assume you're talking about games like UT, Quake, Diablo, Starcraft, etc, when you talk about games you can play for free. Unfortionatly, you're talking about apples and oranges. Battle.net isn't a game server, it's simply a matchmaking service. It doesn't track every unit or monster or item, it simply takes two players and hooks their programs together, then it forgets about them. Ditto with UT and Quake servers. There are *no* games of Star Wars Galaxies size and scope that you can play online for free. Not even close. A monthly charge is the bread and butter of online games, and they wouldn't be here without them.
 syd12
02-14-2002, 12:27 AM
Okay if they wanna make people pay the $10 dollars, and I'm sure many people will, why not take a little more time and make the game playable offline?? Seems like a small request to ask since they will make their millions from the $10 a month folks out there.
 Boba Rhett
02-14-2002, 12:33 AM
*can't believe what he just heard*

The whole point of the game is to play it online! Do you not understand what type of game this is? :confused:

And they aren't exactly keeping that ten bucks you send in. It cost a lot of money to keep a game like that running.
 Juztyn
02-14-2002, 1:39 AM
Er. Why would you want to play an online game offline? Your $10 is going towards the following things:

1) Paying for the original cost of the game. Though the box usually covers this, a game of SWG's magnitude and production costs is going to require a bit more.
2) Paying for the team of developers who are constantly adding new items and creating new quests, etc.
3) Paying for the incredibly amounts of bandwidth that are required to keep everyone connected, lag-free, twenty-four hours a day, seven days a week, fifty-two weeks a year.
4) Paying for the customer service - The GM's who help you out when you're in trouble.. stuck, or otherwise incapasited.

I mean, come on... It's a game where you can connect, at any time of the day, from anywhere in the world, to take part in a virtual simulation of the Star Wars galaxies with thousands of other people AT ONCE. How is that *not* worth $10 a month?
 Krayt Tion
02-14-2002, 5:56 AM
I fully agree Juztyn. This issue has come up a million times before and will likely come up another million + in the future. Maybe you could put this in the FAQ :rolleyes:
 Com Raven
02-14-2002, 11:37 AM
You mean I hбve to pay to get the game in the store ??

just j/k...

Even Blizzard's WoW, while being based on the battle.net will cost you a certain fe every month....
 Kylilin
02-14-2002, 12:38 PM
I'd glady pay $10 a month to play the game, but I think what they should do when the game is first released is to offer maybe the first month or two for free...I think an offer like that will increase sales and get more people hooked on the game so they are willing to pay 10 bucks a month...
 Com Raven
02-14-2002, 3:04 PM
First one is always free with buy of the box....
 Juztyn
02-14-2002, 3:49 PM
They do, Kylilin. =)

1 month free is the standard.
 Kylilin
02-14-2002, 6:11 PM
I didn't know, I don't own any games that are only played online...
 Com Raven
02-16-2002, 7:59 AM
Never bought one either, but tested 3 !!!:D
 Sounds Risky
02-17-2002, 6:06 PM
Please don't tell me you have to pay to beta test . . .
 Juztyn
02-17-2002, 6:24 PM
No, you don't.
 Com Raven
02-18-2002, 3:22 PM
Nah, you have to really in fact pay one month after release, or after it went playable [unfortunately not always the same....]
 Wraith 8
02-18-2002, 5:50 PM
Do you think that we European guys get to test it? cause i dont think so.
 Com Raven
02-20-2002, 3:17 PM
There were seperate betas for US and europe in DAoC, for example....
 Evo Wahn Jhin
02-25-2002, 6:26 AM
Originally posted by Boba Rhett
*can't believe what he just heard*

LMAO!!! I guess some people dont realize what an MMORPG is...
 Com Raven
02-25-2002, 6:35 AM
You bet....

<argh....must..try...tobe ... tole....ra.....>
 Rommel
03-04-2002, 6:30 AM
Its all about the options you want with a game. If you want the very very occasional patch, no real help in the game, and only the most simple attributes tracked, diablo games are great. But if you want an ever changing world where many designers are involved, many different things are persistantly tracked (e.g houses, land etc) then your going to have to pay for it. How many times on battlenet did a problem take a day or more to fix? The same problem would only an hour or two at themost, why? because you have a much larger support staff. You must pay for that.

I for one will want them to track my billions I'll make selling barely working but temptingly affordable blasters, grenades, and other junk to all you poor saps! muahhahahahahaha....err eh i mean I'll barely make any profit at all selling my much too far underpriced fine equipment to the most discriminating sentients of the galaxy.

(waves hand in front of your face) you will forget everything about selling junk to you. Oh wait i'm a manufacturer not a jedi, (looks around for a dark jedi for hire)

rats....

Rommel
 Com Raven
03-04-2002, 8:56 AM
He wants to rip us of our hard-earned money, burn him !!!:)
 Jan Gaarni
03-04-2002, 10:55 AM
NO, HANG HIM!!!!! :D :D :D

And syd12, don't worry. Paying the 10 bucks ain't gonna be a downtrip. It will be worth it. ;)
Besides, arn't they allready making a RPGame for offline use? Knight of the Old Republikk I believe it's called. :D
 Com Raven
03-04-2002, 11:57 AM
Nay, it's called "the reason for Com grinning al the time since last thursday"...:D
 Jan Gaarni
03-04-2002, 1:47 PM
Oh yeah, that's right. lol :D

Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic: The reason Raven has been drooling since last Thursday.
:D :D :D
 Com Raven
03-04-2002, 3:41 PM
That's almost a long a title as Rainbow Six: Rogue Spear: Covert Ops Essentials...
Page: 1 of 1