Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Real World Cash from Virtual World Items

Page: 1 of 1
 Juztyn
02-06-2002, 3:17 PM
Check out the latest post on the main page. What do you think? Should it be legal? How much should items worth? Is it morally correct? Is the company losing money? Post your thoughts here, if you're too lazy to wade through the 6+ pages of debate on the Official Forums :D
 Darth Evad
02-06-2002, 11:31 PM
It has to be legal.
The consumer bought the game. He/she paid for the lisence to use it.
He/she put in the time and earned the e-currency.
They should be able to do whatever they want with it.
:/
 Com Raven
02-07-2002, 1:36 PM
Those guys who buy that stuff are idiots, if legal ones...
 Krayt Tion
02-09-2002, 3:29 PM
I definitely cheapens the experience for people who earn their items the real way. Similar, but not quite the same, as cheating ruins the game for people who earn their skills the real way in an fps.

That said, selling items will definitely happen in Galaxies, public or private, legal or not. The question becomes "Can I still get satisfaction from getting an awesome item while knowing full well that many other people completely cheated the in-game system for the same thing?" We'll have to see.

One final argument against selling items IRL: the game world represents escapism for me at its best; I play the game to exist in a world that is far from the real one I occupy outside of the PC. All that bullcrap from the outside world like how big your bank account is should have little bearing on what happens in the actual game as possible. Buying your items with real money brings a lame real-world element into a fantasy game, like spitting a loogie into an exotic food dish.
 Com Raven
02-10-2002, 10:30 AM
Well, I wouldn't say that it diminuishes my gaming experience, but I can't understand why those guys devastate their own....
 Kwup
02-12-2002, 11:50 AM
I'm sure 10 year old kids with rich parents have no sense of self-accomplishment, therefore Ebay will always be a haven for digital merchandise
 Com Raven
02-12-2002, 3:08 PM
Well ,that kinda stuff usually happens in the big mmorpg areas like USA or Korea, so me and me beloved european server are safe.....:)
 JarheadJedi
02-14-2002, 2:51 AM
As far as i am concerned...as long as Verant is getting the $10/month for the account..who cares if the chars/items on it are sold? I do also agree that there are som arses ou there..especially in EQ that have bought high lvl chars and made total a$$e$$ of themselves...but as many chars as you see being sold in auctions...i think the bad ones are few. Most people just wanna play.

-JarheadJedi:holosid:
 BecketVelar
02-14-2002, 9:04 AM
I have read similar messages on other forums (primarily diablo 2 which i played for the briefest of times). I find it amusing that people are making cash on the slightest bit of code that they didnt 1. think of or 2. program. I hear about how hard they "worked" for it. I "found" this so now I can sell it for a profit.
Hmmm I have also read how, recently, the two big ones on ebay... Verant for EQ and Blizzard for D2 have been dealing with the purchasing. They have opposite views it seems. Verant is shutting down accounts that are found tied to sales on ebay where Blizzard isnt doing anything. I think (hope pray what have you) that Galaxies will not have the same issue. The reason I say this is because other than Mandalorian Body Armor and the Millenium Falcon how many truly unique items are there in the star wars universe... Everyone in the films uses blasters...most of them the same a few are slightly modified. Lightsabers have already been ruled that they wont be useable by non-jedi no real market there. So what could possibly be the selling point. Now mind you a highly modified transport (after the space expansion comes out) will be worth while and rest assured you will probably see shipjacking but other than that I do not know about sales.

Thanks for listening to the rant of a person who truly doesnt get why you pay 100$ for a flaming sparkling icon.

Becket
 Com Raven
02-14-2002, 11:43 AM
There's the big issue at the NWN fboards at the moment, where some arses try everything to make money outta the game....
 Evo Wahn Jhin
02-25-2002, 8:42 AM
Originally posted by Krayt Tion
I definitely cheapens the experience for people who earn their items the real way. Similar, but not quite the same, as cheating ruins the game for people who earn their skills the real way in an fps.

That said, selling items will definitely happen in Galaxies, public or private, legal or not. The question becomes "Can I still get satisfaction from getting an awesome item while knowing full well that many other people completely cheated the in-game system for the same thing?" We'll have to see.

One final argument against selling items IRL: the game world represents escapism for me at its best; I play the game to exist in a world that is far from the real one I occupy outside of the PC. All that bullcrap from the outside world like how big your bank account is should have little bearing on what happens in the actual game as possible. Buying your items with real money brings a lame real-world element into a fantasy game, like spitting a loogie into an exotic food dish.

I agree and relate 100% with you! Being an Avid Counter-Strike player there is nothing worse than knowing people are using other methods (cheating) instead of taking the time and learning how to become better or how to earn what you have.

Selling Items/charaters is indeed cheating IMHO!
 Com Raven
02-25-2002, 9:51 AM
I thought I read wrong when I heard that those guys wanted to sue Mythic for prohibiting to sell items in DAoC....
 Rommel
02-27-2002, 6:39 AM
Illegal....no, simply because I sold my UO account when I got sick of it.

Buying accounts in order to avoid any work, eh whats the point of that? Part of a Online RPG experience is identifying with your character.

Also I hope with SWG being a player driven economy, the best items around will be player made, hopefully this will make it hard for someone to "sell" things on ebay other than accounts.

OH! also the fact that the items will DECAY!!!!! Yes specialty items should be "repairable" but only the very rare of the rare, and unique items (e.g. mandolan armor, lightsabers) and with specialty items like mandolan armor that nobody can produce, these items will probably be sold on ebay. But that is like that armor would be like a 11 on a scale of 1-10. The decay will make it a great market system.
 Com Raven
02-27-2002, 7:57 AM
Yeah, well that's indeed something that's different in SW:g....
Page: 1 of 1