Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Should Jedi be able to deflect lasers?

Page: 1 of 2
 Mitth'raw'nuruodo
08-14-2001, 12:10 PM
What do YOU think?
 Kvan
08-14-2001, 12:15 PM
Ok, this poll was tough! If jedi are able to block that would probably unbalance the game a bit. BUT in the movies (Epi1) Jedi are blocking ALL the time! So I voted that they should, but maybe only some of the time ;)
 Mitth'raw'nuruodo
08-14-2001, 12:20 PM
You know how on Starcraft units have special abilities (like wraiths' can cloak) that uses up a special energy bar? Well maybe jedi could be like that. You can use special energy to 1) convert units 2) cloak 3) deflect balster bolts. Maybe as long as its active they deflect bolts, but it continuously uses energy if its on. :D
 Gamma732
08-14-2001, 12:20 PM
They shouldn't be able to block EVERY shot, that'd be wayyyy too cheap and it'd definately unbalance the game. Jedis should get something like a chance to block or an armor bonous against infantry fire.
 Compa_Mighty
08-14-2001, 12:21 PM
No. No one would kill them. What weapons do Bounty Hunters have? Lasers. They shouldn't be able to block them, they're too good already.
 Kvan
08-14-2001, 12:23 PM
Both thrawn12786 and Gamma732;
They are really good ideas, and I'm sure if Jedi are able to block they are gonna use one of those :)
BTW Why do you guys put numbers in your names!? It gets really hard remembering which numbers go with what name! :D
 Kvan
08-14-2001, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by Compa_Mighty
No. No one would kill them. What weapons do Bounty Hunters have? Lasers. They shouldn't be able to block them, they're too good already.
But Compa, if there is a chance to block it won't be so bad
 Mitth'raw'nuruodo
08-14-2001, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by Kvan
Both thrawn12786 and Gamma732;
They are really good ideas, and I'm sure if Jedi are able to block they are gonna use one of those :)
BTW Why do you guys put numbers in your names!? It gets really hard remembering which numbers go with what name! :D
Why not just say thrawn? Everyone else goes by a shortened form, i don't mind! :D
 Gamma732
08-14-2001, 12:28 PM
Numbers in my sn? 7 and 32 are my lucky numbers....originally I wanted a sn Gamma2 but that's usually taken...ANYWAY, back to the topic ;)

I don't think they can just NOT give the Jedi anything to help defend against lasers, it just wouldn't make much sense. And as for this defeating the purpose of bounty hunters, they could just have a defense bonous against all lasers EXCEPT bounty hunters'.
 Tie Guy
08-14-2001, 12:56 PM
I voted that they should be able to block lasers, but it is much more likely that they will just have a laser fire defense bonus and a large amount of HP to boot.
 Gamma732
08-14-2001, 1:43 PM
Actually thrawn's idea sounds pretty good considering that I remember reading somewhere that Jedis would have to uncloak to convert stuff. Anyone want to verify/disprove that?
 Darth_Rommel
08-14-2001, 2:02 PM
There cloaking turns off (they can be seen) when they attack/convert ;)
 darthfergie
08-14-2001, 2:14 PM
If they could block lasers that would be king of cheap...The Gungans don't exeactly have lasers so how would they block them. (slice the pooba and it explodes all over you not good)
 Gamma732
08-14-2001, 2:27 PM
By deflect lasers, I don't think they should deflect EVERY single shot, that'd just be stupid and totally unbalanced. But it'd also be pretty stupid if they didn't get ANY kind of bonous relating to this, I mean their going to be carrying lightsabres and all.......I still like my chance to block idea :D
 Paragon_Leon
08-14-2001, 2:31 PM
it's ok Gamma... idea's are meant to be liked in the first place.
I seldom meet someone who thinks up idea's because they're naturally stupid.. :D

anyway, i voted that they couldn't block.. i believe they'd seriously harm game-balance that way.
besides, where would those shots go ? Bounce off to it's sender ? That would be even more damaging..
 TheJackal_jk2
08-14-2001, 2:38 PM
For those who want to see a jedi (in this case a dark jedi) in action. Just go to the multimedia section (http://www.galacticbattles.com/multimedia.shtml) of our site and go to the bottom. The third movie from forGamer.net shows a jedi slaughtering rebels.
 Gamma732
08-14-2001, 2:43 PM
Well, some of my ideas are naturally stupid! j/k Sorry if I sounded ticked, I'm not.....that part about liking my idea was 1/2 joking ;)
 darthfergie
08-14-2001, 2:46 PM
WOW talk about slaughter!!! That is why they cost so much!!!
 TheJackal_jk2
08-14-2001, 2:50 PM
I'm guessing he killed like 20 rebels troops before being killed. (in the movie)
 darthfergie
08-14-2001, 2:55 PM
Originally posted by TheJackal
I'm guessing he killed like 20 rebels troops before being killed. (in the movie)

And towerds the end he was just running around. I think he may have gotten away (cloaking)
 Tie Guy
08-14-2001, 5:05 PM
Yeah, but he never actually dies, does he? That shows just how much he can take. Also, he has more than troops firing on him, and he still doesn't take much damage.
 Mitth'raw'nuruodo
08-14-2001, 5:18 PM
WOW! Jedi are really good! Here's an interesting question: Can you convert a Jedi with your own Jedi? :D
 Tie Guy
08-14-2001, 5:45 PM
I think so, you could convert other monks in AOK, right? I think you can, and if you can in AOK, then it is likely that you will be able to in GB.
 Kvan
08-14-2001, 5:48 PM
Originally posted by Tie Guy
I think so, you could convert other monks in AOK, right? I think you can, and if you can in AOK, then it is likely that you will be able to in GB.
So it'll kind of be like turning to the Darkside or Redeeming yourself. I like it!
 Clefo
08-14-2001, 5:50 PM
:vader: Luke join me or you'll star in Corvette Summer!

:luke: Ok!
 xwing guy
08-14-2001, 6:03 PM
I think jedi should be able to deflect most laser bolts but not all and if the block a mechs laser bolt they still take damage b/c the force if the bolt still hurts them.
 Imperial Jawa
08-14-2001, 6:39 PM
having a chance to block the bolt would be horrible, imho. In good strategy games, devs try and take out every element of chance they can, because if you have to many things decided by chance, than its no longer strategy, and more like gambling.
 Darth_Rommel
08-14-2001, 7:19 PM
Yeah... jedi are good already- in the movie he take those troops out in like 2 hits! :ewok:
 Mitth'raw'nuruodo
08-14-2001, 7:39 PM
I like my idea, about how Jedi should have an energy bar. Then when you click the buton they go into deflecting mode and will deflect lasers, but the energy bar continuously goes down when deflecting mode is on. When the bar hits zero the deflecting mode goes off. Or if you want to save energy you can hit the button again to turn of deflect mode. :D
 observer_20000
08-14-2001, 9:05 PM
Originally posted by Compa_Mighty

Actually Bouny hunters use a variety of weapons, one example is thermal detonators, it's pretty hard to block an explosion with a saber, although jedi can use force shields, but I doubt they'll include that in the game.
 xwing guy
08-14-2001, 10:43 PM
Also remember the cuncussion rifle and rail detonator from JK you couldn't deflect those.
 DarthTenor
08-14-2001, 10:48 PM
Like most people mentioned it should be limited in essence of reduced damage from infantry or some stamina bar. Anyway just checking my avatar if tit works.
 observer_20000
08-15-2001, 6:31 AM
If anyone here has ever played Jedi Power Battles, you know how you can deflect there, and if there is to much sustained firing, you start losing HP, perhaps something like that would be good in GB.
 Paragon_Leon
08-15-2001, 6:33 AM
it probably can be done, but it will be way too demanding on system specs. imagine a small army of Jedi deflecting.. think of all the calculating taking place at one time..
 observer_20000
08-15-2001, 6:43 AM
Originally posted by Paragon_Leon
it probably can be done, but it will be way too demanding on system specs. imagine a small army of Jedi deflecting.. think of all the calculating taking place at one time..

Yeah, I suppose you're right, they should just make so that Jedi have extra resistance against blasters.
 darthfergie
08-15-2001, 9:12 AM
Originally posted by observer_20000
Yeah, I suppose you're right, they should just make so that Jedi have extra resistance against blasters.

Why even do that? Why not just let them shake off blasterfire like rain. They did that in the video so I wouldn't be surprised if it happened. My guess though is that Jedi will have armor like units in AoK, but they will have more than norm.
 FlyBOy
08-15-2001, 11:24 AM
I think that jedi should be able to deflect laser bolts, but it would tire them out quickly, so they could only do it for a short time
 Mitth'raw'nuruodo
08-15-2001, 4:57 PM
Hence the energy bar idea that no one pays attention to! :rolleyes:
 Darth_Rommel
08-15-2001, 5:01 PM
Nice avatar Thrawn! Where did you find it? :confused:
 Mitth'raw'nuruodo
08-15-2001, 5:13 PM
I made it, really! I got the Star Wars card gif from decipher and edited it, took alot of work too. If you'd like a character I'd do one for you too. Just name the character or starship and their prefered orientation. Just pm me anytime! :D

Thrawn looks sweet in that pic!
 dvader07
08-15-2001, 5:18 PM
I agree that the easiest way to handle this without bringing up too many balance issues would be too give the jedi some sort of defense bonus against blaster fire.
 Dr. Evil
08-16-2001, 11:37 AM
There are good and bad points

Good points
They would be the best unit

Bad point
They would have to be expensive
 Compa_Mighty
08-16-2001, 1:59 PM
Originally posted by Dr. Evil
There are good and bad points

Good points
They would be the best unit

Bad point
They would have to be expensive

Evil, they are all ready too expensive 400 or 600 ilum (I don't remember the exact cost) Ilum means gold in AoK. It was difficult to do monks at certain point of the game. Now imagine Jedi.

If they deflect lasers, they won't die to anything.
 Tie Guy
08-16-2001, 3:01 PM
I never really found it "difficult" or "pressing" to build monks, mostly i just found t pointless. Let's hope jedi are not the same way.
 God
08-16-2001, 3:35 PM
i think if they could deflect lasers it would make them all but invincible. only way would be sending in dewbacks or the equivalent in tech level 4 or mass armies of jedi in level 3 (i guess that is when they apear like in AoK)

all most everything shoots lasers ecept mabye villager (suaside) and mounted units.

:barf: :emperor:
 Boba Rhett
08-16-2001, 3:42 PM
Guys, they wont be able to deflect all the blaster bolts. If they have more than one person firing at them they can't block all the shots so they wouldn't at all be invincible. And just because the're Jedi doesn't mean that they can't miss bolts.
 brashin99451
08-16-2001, 4:08 PM
it would be so cheap and lame to just have a "bonus" for laser hits. it was awsome in force commander. shots from a few troops would always be deflected but if there were a lot of troops some wouldn't get blocked and when that happens the jedi get damaged (and badly at that).
 Gamma732
08-16-2001, 4:12 PM
Its not like Jedi will be able to shake off AT-AT lasers like their nothing ;) It should be a bonous or chance to block non-bounty hunter infantry laser fire
 dvader07
08-16-2001, 4:23 PM
If they are going to be able to block laser fire, then they should be able to block all kinds of laser fire. If we are going to talk about a chance to block then it should be more difficult to block mech fire or Bounty Hunter fire. It would be cheap if tey couldn't block bounty hunter fire but block regular infantry fire. However, I think that this just gets too complicated, and I would rather see the developers put more time into other details other than this. It is really, in the end a very inconsiquential thing. They should (imho) just give the jedi a defense bonus against certain fire or leave them with extremely high hp and move on to some other more important development things. :ben:
 Mitth'raw'nuruodo
08-16-2001, 4:28 PM
It would be pretty bogus if jedi couldn't deflect lasers. They should just be able to deflect less lasers the more guys there are.
Page: 1 of 2