Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Techinal Problem (TIE Fighter)

Page: 1 of 1
 pinkpanther718
01-20-2002, 1:04 AM
I have the X-Wing Collectors cds that include the X-Wing and TIE Fighter95 games. They both ran fine on Windows 98, when I had the OS last year. Now I have XP (reformated before installing XP, so I'm just installing the TIE Fighter game new on htere), and I'm having trouble with TIE. I have DX 8.1 for win2K, the newest version there is. The installation of the game went fine, but every time I launch the Star menu for the game and hit play game, the install directX 5.2 comes up. All I can hit is install or cancel, so I hit install, and the only options are reinstall, ok, and cancel. If I hit ok it brings me back to the previous menu and still won't start the game. If i hit reinstall, it says install successful, and it still does the same thing when I go back. I've tried using the compatability wizzard on XP, to change it to Win 98 and 95, but in both cases, the game won't run, rather it gives me an error message about making sure my joystick is calibrated. Lucas Arts support has nothing on their website about XP. I'm hoping someone can help me, it sounds like a directX issue or something, but I'm not positive what the root of the issue is. I know there are tons of bright folks here, so hopefully someone can lend a hand.
Thanks all!
 Nitro
01-20-2002, 1:45 AM
Wrong forum, tootsie-pop!
 Nitro
01-20-2002, 1:46 AM
Prepare to be moved!
 Cmdr. Cracken
01-20-2002, 1:53 AM
Kick your box and curse at it.
 pinkpanther718
01-20-2002, 1:57 AM
Yeah ok.... why did I get moved? I believe the Yoda's Swamp description states "(JKII or Non JKII topics allowed)" I think this is a non-Jedi Knight II topic. The reason I put it three is because I know many people that post there play these games, and that board gets more traffic than any other...... I'd relally like an explination for this.
 Tek Gunner
01-20-2002, 2:00 AM
There is a specific forum for technical problems, and since your thread is about a technical problem, thats where your thread goes.
 JR2000Z
01-20-2002, 12:14 PM
Well, you won't get your question answered here-That's for sure.
 JR2000Z
01-20-2002, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by pinkpanther718
it gives me an error message about making sure my joystick is calibrated.

So calibrate your joystick. Whats so hard about that?
 greycellgreen
01-22-2002, 8:56 AM
So calibrate your joystick. Whats so hard about that?

No, the stupid game SAYS it needs to be calibrated or it doesn't exist and won't let you in... same deal with X-Wing Alliance.

I can't get X-Wing or Tiefighter to work properly either. Bad LucasArts!!

That's not true... if I disabled 3D-acceleration, I could get X-Wing to work... I assume the same for Tiefighter?

(Try that Pink Panther)

Obviously it's not a proper solution.

X-Wing Alliance doesn't give the option to disable 3d-hardware, so I can't get it to work at all. So I content myself with Freespace and USAF.
 JR2000Z
01-27-2002, 1:07 AM
Go to the XWA Launcher, click on Hardware Configuration, then click on Joystick options. On the combo/text box under Game controller, you may have to update on what kind of contoller you have.

Example: If its blank, then it doesn't read any type of joystick. If it says what kind of joystick (3 axis 4 button joystick for an example) then you should work properly.
Page: 1 of 1