Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Transporting troops via mechs: why?

Page: 1 of 1
 FeldmanSkitzoid
01-19-2002, 4:51 AM
I'm just wondering, are there any good reasons to put units inside Mech Destroyers and Assault Mechs? I would've thought that maybe they'd give more firepower like units garrisoned in turrets do, but that's not the case. And it's not like they can be used to surprise your opponent with more troops than it initially looks like, because they have that big green flag floating above them.

Any ideas/strategies/whining?

:sam: :max:
 Boba Sith
01-19-2002, 5:55 AM
I find it useful to put darktroopers in the mechs use a sea transport to transfer them all across, saves time and resources that way. Otherwise i think it is just pointless.
 SirKai
01-19-2002, 10:09 AM
I've found a use for placing units in mechs. I usually store some workers and some spare medical droids in my heavy assault mechs. The workers get in the way when you are fighting but they are good for repairing your troops between clashes. Medical droids sometime get offed during combat and need replacements mid-battle.

SirKai
 DashRendar
01-19-2002, 11:04 AM
Why?

Simple:When you put units in mechs you can control more units at once. Look at the assault mechs you can put 20 units in each so when you normally could only take 40 units just put some more in mechs and poof you can move more units at once, plus if there's a unit that you need to protect or that is slow and you want to make in faster throw them in a mech and poof good speed with a hard shell around them!
 Natopo
01-23-2002, 6:50 AM
Well it's harder 2 beat a mech with troops than it is to beat a mech without.
 Surfnshannon
01-23-2002, 9:15 AM
Same reason we have hummers and tanks or what have you in the army! They drive a lot faster so they get your troops where you want them to go quickly. It provides a greater amount of protection so that you may drop them off safely. Obviously if you walk your troopers over there the enemy can count the amount your sending and deal with them that way - putting them inside a mech or a transport they cannot tell how many are in each vehicle and what type of person is in there...whether it be Jedi...bounty hunters...anti air. They can't see the people your sending. And if your transport does not make it...the people fall out of there (survive the explosion ya right) and emerge unharmed...so it buys you time. Also, like they said above...it allows you to move more units at once. ...then of course if you wanted to that you should assign all your troopers to a Cntrl+1 or whatever and your transports to a differnt one... etc...blah blah

p.s i do admit that little people thing needs to be taken off of their...its nice to know you have people in there...but not great for the enemy to know duh!!!
 Gaming Nut
01-23-2002, 11:38 AM
Thing is a trooper walks just as fast as an assault mech maybe faster with upgrades. They can't see what you have unless they scout you in route even if they do it's rare they would have time to build a conuter to a group that is already coming to their base. If they don't they don't know anyway and once you arrive suprise is gone and the men have to come out he might know what you have a litte sooner but not enough to matter. Also scouting runs on your town should give him an idea of what you built anyways. I perfer having my troopers in line ready to fight. Then having them pile out of the transport unorgnized Reqriuing me to set them up in the middile of the battle. It's not hard at all too set up control groups and I'm not gonna blow 350 nova to have a tiny tiny advantage over him.
 duder
01-24-2002, 2:30 AM
I find it useful to place AA troops in the mechs, then at the first sign of air ambush them!!!
 Surfnshannon
01-25-2002, 9:02 AM
Originally posted by Gaming Nut
Thing is a trooper walks just as fast as an assault mech maybe faster with upgrades. They can't see what you have unless they scout you in route even if they do it's rare they would have time to build a conuter to a group that is already coming to their base. If they don't they don't know anyway and once you arrive suprise is gone and the men have to come out he might know what you have a litte sooner but not enough to matter. Also scouting runs on your town should give him an idea of what you built anyways. I perfer having my troopers in line ready to fight. Then having them pile out of the transport unorgnized Reqriuing me to set them up in the middile of the battle. It's not hard at all too set up control groups and I'm not gonna blow 350 nova to have a tiny tiny advantage over him.

350 nova is barely anything if you get holocrons. And you should know pretty much the route your enemy will attack to be able to see whats coming towards you. You can't neglect the fact that these vehicles provide extra protection...since they usually get stopped on foot by wild animals...causing un-nessary casualties and are just plain irratating. And unorganized piling out of the transport...that's what the functions are for...too quickly organize. If you know your hot keys it doesn't take but seconds.
 Gaming Nut
01-25-2002, 4:03 PM
350 nova is ALOT it's like 6 planes or 2 reasecrhs. 10,000 nova onlys gets you 20 to 25 assault mech's their a waste of money and few people outside DM's use them. They don't get more protcion since they have to get out to fight they die just as fast. The wild beast thing is the dumbest reason to blow 350 nova every. you here wild beast is attacking click on the area order one volley and it's gone. as I said if he knows where you are he'll recon you quite abit and know you built 20 Jedi or Reapeters he'll see the DT sitting if he dsoen't know where you are he won't know where to look for an approach. So why I ask blow 350 to come go him?
 Lipid
02-08-2002, 9:22 PM
only a couple of the reasons posted really answer the question "why garrison troops in mechs". Despite my horrible micro-managing skills, i find troops much more effective walking along the mechs, blasting things - especially focussing the mechs on walls/buildings, and having the troops take out the "opposition". Having the troops garrisonned would cost me valuable seconds unloading them in order to hit the defending army.
regards
 DashRendar
02-09-2002, 6:37 AM
Originally posted by Surfnshannon
And if your transport does not make it...the people fall out of there (survive the explosion ya right) and emerge unharmed

Well actually there are no explosions for assault mechs and they die if an air transport is destroyed....

and about the above post:
as I said before when you put troops in mechs you can move more at the same time meaning you don't have to move in waves which will inturn do the contrary of what you said above it will save you those "few precious seconds"---sorry had to do it;)
 Lipid
02-09-2002, 1:34 PM
that's a good point DashRender (and i'm the first to appreciate and accept correction given my relative lack of experience). I find with the hotkeys (assigning troops "1" and mechs "2") it costs little time, but still helps me deliver heavier firepower than if the troops were bundled up. When i'm being tag-teamed the howl and fury makes even this hard to manage at times :)
 Chessack
02-09-2002, 6:12 PM
I actually find transporting troops inside AT-ATs and the like, to be quite useful. In particular, it's nice to see the computer send a bunch of assault mechs after my AT-ATs, only to have those AT-ATs unleash 30 or 40 Dark Troopers and Sith Knights at them. :D
 Emperor Dan
02-15-2002, 11:33 AM
It's usful to transport workers or medics, and that's pretty much it. Because those units can't attack back, it's good protection. Once the opposition is gone, take out your workers and start building some sheild gens :)
 Chessack
02-15-2002, 12:16 PM
That's true... but I do find it mechanically (as in, my point-and-click ability) easier to deal with having units inside mechs, and dumping them in a batch after the mechs get them there.

It's also true, that sometimes this can keep them "fresh" and undamaged until they are needed most.
Page: 1 of 1