Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

The ancient petition

Page: 1 of 1
 Sanspoof3k
01-17-2002, 2:28 PM
There was a petition sent out a few years ago i think asking for a GF2. Can someone tell me what (if anything) came of it all?
 Metallus
01-17-2002, 3:12 PM
Heh, I never heard about that particular petition but I'm sure there were many. There's still no GF2 in the works.
 Sanspoof3k
01-17-2002, 4:26 PM
NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!! How can they be so ignorant!
 Tall Guy
01-17-2002, 5:38 PM
like this......*ignorance fills the air*.....see?:(
 xGrimx
01-20-2002, 1:53 PM
Yeah, there was a GF2 petition, hosted by Cafe Calevera. Which is long gone now.. but the petition had over a 1,000 signatures, but LEC acted as if they never saw it.

Which is pretty sad, deep down I hate LEC, but they do make some good games. Although the last few years, I can simply say I don't like what there putting out. So LEC get some adventure games goin'!
 Tall Guy
01-21-2002, 4:13 AM
i agree. Although they make good adventure games....they're not the nicest of people. They're really paranoid about that logo of theirs too....and Any reference to a game that they make and they jump down your throat and sue u!!
 Claire_X
01-21-2002, 2:22 PM
Trouble is (and I hate to be cynical here) but though 1000 signatures is extremely impressive for a community such as ours, selling 1000 copies of GF2 would mean very, very little to a company like Lucasarts. Sad, but very very true - instead of coming up with great adventure games, they decide to keep on cashing in on the Star Wars franchise. Thats capitalism for ya ;)
 Metallus
01-21-2002, 4:35 PM
To counter your cynicism, I'll be overly optimistic for a change. If Jeffrey holds true to his 50/50 ratio when dealing with LEC's releases, we could see a new golden age for LEC adventurers, after such a long drought. I wonder how likely that is, though.
 xGrimx
01-21-2002, 7:21 PM
And if these suprises are all Star Wars this week, I say we unite and let LEC know there loosing there fans. Anyone in on that?
 Metallus
01-21-2002, 7:38 PM
Eh, couldn't hurt.

unless...
 MeddlingMonk
01-21-2002, 9:13 PM
There's a quote attributed to Bob Dylan that's very relevant to this kind of discussion. It goes something like, 'Just because you like my stuff, it doesn't mean I owe you anything.'

It sounds pretty snotty at first glance, but try putting a lot of emphasis on you; 'you' meaning 'you personally.' It is true that any business has to please its customers just as a performer like Dylan has to please his fans, but that's customers/fans as a collective whole. Individuals qua individuals don't factor into it. If Dylan went on tour and no one bought tickets, that'd mean something. But if after sold-out concerts half-a-dozen people stand up and scream abuse at him for not doing Tamborine Man, it wouldn't mean a damn thing. They're not representative and it wouldn't make sense for Dylan to pay more attention to them than to the more approving, if quieter, majority.

So much for perspective.

Now, the people who want new adventure games aren't just a handful. But it is LucasArts, and GL is making new SW movies. SJ has said that the previous regime went too far in flogging the SW licence. Just because that 50/50 thing hasn't happened yet means nothing. The development cycle of games is long, and even though to most recent announcements (last year's E3) are SW games, it mustn't be overlooked that the newest of the new are not being developed by LEC itself. They're just the publisher. D'you really think LEC's own programmers are just twiddling their thumbs? Might there not be a reason why the newest SW stuff is being farmed out?
 Claire_X
01-24-2002, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by Metallus
To counter your cynicism, I'll be overly optimistic for a change. If Jeffrey holds true to his 50/50 ratio when dealing with LEC's releases, we could see a new golden age for LEC adventurers, after such a long drought. I wonder how likely that is, though.

Hurrah for optimism! I'm not usually such a cynic, but its been a long, hard week... (and its only Thursday!) For now, and at least the near future, I can't see us returning to the golden age of adventure gaming, but when everyone eventually gets sick of all their FPS, and simulation games, and RPG's, perhaps then we will see a return!

Just have to keep on hoping for that day!
 Sanspoof3k
01-24-2002, 1:57 PM
If you ask me a GF2 is inevitable. If not in a couple of years, then definately after the last SW film. They can't keep on sucking money from SW for much longer. I'm already losing my interest in it due to the amount of crap they've brought out to cash in on it.

I agree with xGrimx, LEC are letting their standards drop a little, but then I'm hoping that things will get better. Optimism is my middle name.:D
 NiKo
03-03-2002, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by xGrimx
And if these suprises are all Star Wars this week, I say we unite and let LEC know there loosing there fans. Anyone in on that?

Hell yeah!!

down with the empire!:deathstar :deathii:
 Celso
03-04-2002, 11:27 AM
Well GF2 would be great, thought GF (1) ended wihout continuation.
Lucasarts is now doing lots of SW games (Galactic Battlegrounds, Knights of the old republic, Galaxies, etc), that will not last forever.
But there are lots of Monkey Island fans, and a sequel would be also fine.
And I heard that Sam and Max could return.
Or Lucasarts can make another fantastic adventure game, theyre great inventing them.
Well we'll see.
 Tall Guy
03-04-2002, 4:52 PM
yeah, after all the SW games at the moment LEC have to come up with some original adventure title or focus on a sequal. I suppose its a bit of a gamble cos the adventure games market aint as big as it used to be :(
 Schmatz
03-04-2002, 8:57 PM
Originally posted by Sanspoof3k
They can't keep on sucking money from SW for much longer. I'm already losing my interest in it due to the amount of crap they've brought out to cash in on it.

Yes they can AND you may be, but many ignorant niave fools aren't losing interest. Even though we are sworn to not want Star Wars games and want more adventure, some (very few) Star Wars games that came out in the last 2 years are very good. Knights of the Old Republic and Jedi Outcast I personally think are worth it, as long as they make some promise to make adventure games. I like Galactic Battlegrounds and consider it a great game, and I'm sure the two games stated above will be just as good. But here's my problem. That's three games. In two years. Now, What would have been great is if they made these three GOOD games, and maybe some so-so Star Wars ones, and THEN made 3 or 4 Adventure games, and then if they want make some more crap-ass Star Wars games. Perfect examples: Super Bombad Racing and the sequel to Episode 1 Racer. They totally were not needed and I can not believe somone wasted their talents drawing bigheaded Episode 1 characters (as if some of them didn't look stupid enough) and making Racer with a new name.
But you can't put down all Star Wars games. Back in the day, when LEC made plenty adventure games, their Star Wars games were excellent, such as TIE fighter and X-Wing and Alliance. When I was in like 3rd - 4th grade when I played them, Rebel Assault was a great game, too. I played them so much I beat them so much (using a Macintosh Trackball) that I was an expert at them (Now I can barely play them) and could beat both in an afternoon.
So, we could do a petition, but even if we got 10,000, maybe 50,000 people to sign it, or EVERYONE who's signed up at Lucasforums to sign it, it might make some kind of difference, but not much. LEC makes these Star Wars games for some little kids whose parents or grandparents don't know what to get them for christmas, see the classic name of Star Wars, and buys them the game. I know that's how it worked in my family, but in the days I couldn't pick out my own games, they had better Star Wars and adventure games.

So, I ask you: "What do you think LEC believes in? More money or fan acceptance?" Honestly, they are big for money, but also support their fans in making promises like Simon did. Maybe, like he said this year about 50/50, that this beginning 1/2 of the year will be Star Wars games, to sell out Episode 1 before Episode 2 comes out, and then summer and fall will be some adventure, and then winter for more Star Wars, since it's christmas, but that's the way the dice rolls for us fans.

Thank you for reading my long schpeal. If you are just flying through it without reading it and are just reading the last line, I suggest reading the entire thing before continuing, if you want to try to understand some things. Thank you ;)
Page: 1 of 1