Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Space Platforms

Page: 1 of 1
 General Nilaar
08-14-2001, 6:49 AM
Does anyone else think the Space Platform type levels (like in Starcraft) seem like a really bad idea? For that matter it didn't make sense for Starcraft either....

It just seems really fake. Yes, I know they're not going for realism, after all you never see Imperial forces building farms or anything, but the space platforms are really out there. Might as well have a level take place on a star or something:rolleyes:

If they had just taken the same idea, but made it into a Cloud City type level it would have done the same thing and wouldn't have seemed half as stupid.
 Clefo
08-14-2001, 10:59 AM
If your wondering how people eat and breathe in space, and other science facts..

Repeat to yourself "Its just a game"
 Tie Guy
08-14-2001, 11:18 AM
Yeah, but this isn't just a cartoon like game, people wanna see realism, and accuracy.
 Kvan
08-14-2001, 11:22 AM
Whats so wrong with space platforms? Couldn't you you just rationalize that there is some kind of enviormental shield around it?
 Mitth'raw'nuruodo
08-14-2001, 11:35 AM
Maybe these spaceplatforms will really be like those Ithorian flying cities, or Xixor's skyhook. Those have atmosphere inside. :D
 observer_20000
08-15-2001, 6:01 AM
They use forcefields, ones that are meant to keep in the atmosphere, but not meant to stop ships.
 darthfergie
08-15-2001, 9:14 AM
Originally posted by observer_20000
They use forcefields, ones that are meant to keep in the atmosphere, but not meant to stop ships.

LIke the ones they use on docking bays. When ships come into the bays all the people don't fall down and die. Not even the ones without a helmet.
 Mitth'raw'nuruodo
08-15-2001, 11:03 AM
Hypothetical question: What if the ship that came into the docking bay was O shaped, like a long cylender, but with a hole in the middle. Would the atmosphere leak out of the docking bay? :D
 Kvan
08-15-2001, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by thrawn12786
Hypothetical question: What if the ship that came into the docking bay was O shaped, like a long cylender, but with a hole in the middle. Would the atmosphere leak out of the docking bay? :D
Good theory :D But I'd think that the ship would have some sort of env. shielding.
It's funny to picture though, a whole bunch of men getting sucked out, hehehe! ;)
 FlyBOy
08-15-2001, 11:18 AM
a magnetic field
 Wraith 5
08-15-2001, 12:18 PM
Not to put this thread back on topic but...

What if in the space missions they only let you have space ships (xwing, ywing, TIE-fighter, TIE-Bommers, Star Destroyers...)

I hadn't heard they were planing on letting you use ground troops in space...
 darthfergie
08-15-2001, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by Wraith 5
Not to put this thread back on topic but...

What if in the space missions they only let you have space ships (xwing, ywing, TIE-fighter, TIE-Bommers, Star Destroyers...)

I hadn't heard they were planing on letting you use ground troops in space...

Yes they are letting you use them kind of like Star Craft. Exept it is like an obital station and lets say there are three Orbital Spacestations between 2 planets...you can put them there. Like Golan IV defense stations. And also you can fight on them.
 Admiral Thrawn
08-15-2001, 3:33 PM
That would be cool!
 darthfergie
08-15-2001, 3:35 PM
Welcome to the boards Thrawn:D
 Wraith 5
08-15-2001, 3:37 PM
Darth where did you see that???
 Booya2020
08-15-2001, 3:40 PM
Haha that would make an interesting weapon.:D The dreaded STRAW fighter :p
 darthfergie
08-15-2001, 3:41 PM
Where did I see what???:confused:
 Wraith 5
08-15-2001, 3:45 PM
sorry darth where did you see that the space missions were going to be on space platforms???

and did i miss something....

booya what are you talking about???
 darthfergie
08-15-2001, 3:48 PM
take this link
http://www.galacticbattles.com/multimedia/screenshots/15.jpg)

It shows space platforms. About those Golan IV that was my imagination running wild:D I was saying that you could make a small mass of space platform and put AAtowers all over it. A fighter couldn't come near it so it would be hearded into my fleet or another "GolanIV":D
 Wraith 5
08-15-2001, 4:17 PM
thanks darth it was the space platform i was asking about, i didn't think they had gotten to the golan platforms
 Mitth'raw'nuruodo
08-15-2001, 4:50 PM
Originally posted by Wraith 5
sorry darth where did you see that the space missions were going to be on space platforms???

and did i miss something....

booya what are you talking about???
He's talking about the O shaped ship. They would be devastating weapons. Just put the shields down and park in the middle of the docking shield, taking holos of the men flying through your ship into space. :eek:
 observer_20000
08-15-2001, 5:59 PM
I really don't think it's necessary to make sense of everything in Star Wars, I mean look at all the other stuff they do that's impossible, they go at speeds millions of times faster then light, and the way the DS blew up Alderaan, that would require more power, then our sun produces in 7000 years, a lot of it doesn't make sense, it's just technology that is beyond our comprehension (some of it), I mean how do you think a guy in the 15 century would have reacted to a car, or a TV, and they're only about 500 years behind us, technilogically, Star Wars is at least tens of thousands of years ahead of us.
 Admiral Thrawn
08-15-2001, 6:41 PM
Yes, it's called having fun, and not taking everything for granite.
In some places people complain about E1 and the older movies units being together. I see it as a chance to play the civs against each other even though they are hundreds of years apart.
 Tie Guy
08-15-2001, 6:59 PM
granite is a rock :D be we don't take take everything for granted either. :D

Anyway, that is what makes Star Wars so good, the technology and tryingto understand it. Its not like star treks cheap phasers or whatever, every part of the Star Wars universe has an explanation, a futuristic explanation, and that is why it is so cool. Of course, it does have it's inconsistancies, just like everything else.
 General Nilaar
08-15-2001, 7:32 PM
Hey you don't see me complaining about farms, or barracks that produce an endless stream of troops do you? But the space platforms are just weird. Suspension of disbelief is important, and they could get the exact same effect with a Bespin type terrain and it would look cooler to boot.

I wouldn't mind special space levels where only the starfighters were allowed. They wouldn't be used often, but they would make for a nice change of pace occasionally.

Put in both terrains, and you get the best of both worlds.
 Tie Guy
08-15-2001, 8:23 PM
I think that there already is a bespin level in SP, which means it probably can be used in MP.

Anyway, i'd love to see all fighter battles, that would make for an interesting tournament.
 God
08-16-2001, 3:06 PM
i was looking at a screen shot and saw what would have been a random map. it had a platform and land + water. there also seemed to be space seperating them too. i tought this was really stupid. :mob:
 dvader07
08-16-2001, 4:17 PM
first off, God (this sounds very sacreligious), where did you see that screen shot?

secondly, Admiral Thrawn, what did you mean by saying

I see it as a chance to play the civs against each other even though they are hundreds of years apart.

if you are referring to the time gap between episode one and the original trilogy, I believe that it is only a difference of maybe 70 years. I don't think it is more than that.
 Admiral Thrawn
08-17-2001, 2:12 AM
Originally posted by dvader07
first off, (this sounds very sacreligious), where did you see that screen shot?

secondly, Admiral Thrawn, what did you mean by saying

if you are referring to the time gap between episode one and the original trilogy, I believe that it is only a difference of maybe 70 years. I don't think it is more than that.

So sue me!
I'm no genius when it comes to Star Wars, All I know about is the Empire, Thrawn, and the Noghri.
 General Nilaar
08-18-2001, 2:34 AM
That map was just to show as much of the game as possible in a single map, I don't think there's actually any maps like that in the game;)

It's just one of those weird promotional things you see before the game comes out.

As for the time span between trilogies, I think it's more like 30-40 years.
 Tie Guy
08-18-2001, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by General Nilaar
That map was just to show as much of the game as possible in a single map, I don't think there's actually any maps like that in the game;)

It's just one of those weird promotional things you see before the game comes out.

As for the time span between trilogies, I think it's more like 30-40 years.

Yes, the Empire lasted for 20 years, and i doubt Eps I-III will take 50 years.

Anyway, i think that the map will be in the game, why not? I don't really like it, and probably won't play it at all, but i don't see why they shouldn't have it?
 Master Yoda
08-18-2001, 12:41 PM
I agree with General Nilaar in that the time span is 30-40 years, Obi Wan was in his early 20s in Ep1 and in his 60s in Ep4(A New Hope). As for the space argument:D I think they need to have both a Bespin maps and space maps,I think its magnetic shielding that they use in docking bays which they probably could also use on space platforms.....
 Tie Guy
08-18-2001, 1:05 PM
Originally posted by Master Yoda
I agree with General Nilaar in that the time span is 30-40 years, Obi Wan was in his early 20s in Ep1 and in his 60s in Ep4(A New Hope). As for the space argument:D I think they need to have both a Bespin maps and space maps,I think its magnetic shielding that they use in docking bays which they probably could also use on space platforms.....

Well, be happy then, coz i believe that Bespin and space is in SP if not MP. I think they are both confirmed, and we know that the space platform is at least. Maybe, if Gaber comes, we can ask him.
 xwing guy
08-18-2001, 1:06 PM
yeah its called a magnetic containment field or a magcon field.
 General Nilaar
08-19-2001, 7:19 AM
The map I was talking about is the one with the many different terrains on one map, including space terrain mixed in with the land terrain.

Whether or not the space platforms should be in the game, that particular "mixed" map shouldn't because it doesn't make any sense, in ANY setting.
 Master Yoda
08-19-2001, 11:26 AM
I think they were just showing what the different terrains will look like in the mini map. It looks like there is Tatooine(sp?),Hoth,Naboo,and space on there.
 Tie Guy
08-19-2001, 12:43 PM
It's a game, why shouldn't they be able to have any map they want. Sure it looks wierd to have troops in space, but it is just a game, they can do what they want.
 General Nilaar
08-19-2001, 9:19 PM
That doesn't mean we can't comment on it though;)

It's just such a rip off of StarCraft and at the same time doesn't mesh with what we know of the Star Wars universe. I didn't realize that the space maps in StarCraft were so popular that they would even be worth ripping off.

It won't stop me buying the game, but I thought it deserved comment.
 Paragon_Leon
08-21-2001, 5:46 PM
well i'm not convinced it's a rip-off. think of what else they could have done; very little.
you can't 'wall' all ends in to give the impression of a shut down world. Maybe something of an atmosphere transition in the space-graphics could be done, but that's about it. And still people would call it a rip-off since you have platforms on a 2d game. Which is almost inevitable.
 brashin99451
08-21-2001, 6:00 PM
star craft ripped of tons of stuff from C&C and Dune so who cares.

the imperial units can breath in space anyway, exept for the :atat:s where the troops would need life support INSIDE.:rolleyes:
 Master Yoda
08-21-2001, 8:54 PM
Imperial units cant live in space. Only Space Troopers can, in the game there will be some sort of magnetic sheilding keeping space ojut.
 xwing guy
08-21-2001, 9:51 PM
exactly what I was trying to say.
 General Nilaar
08-22-2001, 12:11 AM
And that, Paragon, brings up the question: Why have a platform map at all? Doesn't really seem to add anything except for some bland looking grey terrain;)
 Lord JayVizIon
08-22-2001, 1:17 AM
well, i'm going to put it this way. if they're going to make battles on asteroids, why not space platforms. i don't see the big deal with something being wrong about space platforms. it's add more to the style of the game, with more terrain types to play on.
 Paragon_Leon
08-22-2001, 4:16 AM
i've seen some platform-shots in various previews now, and they're anything but bland... in fact, the design team did a great job giving the SW units and terrain that worn down look from the movies..
 observer_20000
08-22-2001, 5:32 AM
Originally posted by thrawn12786

Not very likely, the shield would probably cover that as well.
 Paladin
08-22-2001, 11:32 AM
:deathstar i'd enjoy fighting on a planet surface a lot more than a space platform:deathstar
 Master Yoda
08-22-2001, 6:52 PM
I wont say which one i like better since I havent played GBG at all and I dont know what playing with space platforms will be like.
 Admiral Odin
08-22-2001, 8:45 PM
all RTS games take stuff from each other. That is inevitable. Look at the harvesting resources....
Page: 1 of 1