Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

What's a good Star Wars information book?

Page: 1 of 1
 Maedyn
01-15-2002, 12:39 AM
After learning about this game, my interest in the Star Wars universe has been sparked, and I'd like to read more about. I'm not looking for a novel or anything fiction. What I'm looking for is something similar to the "Technical Manual" that has been published about the Star Trek universe. It doesn't necessarily have to be "just" about the technology. I'd also like to get information about places, people, customs, society, and everything else about Star Wars.
So, is there a single book that fulfills all these requirements? Is there a book that's considered "the" guide to Star Wars? Please post the title of anything that comes to mind. Thanks!
 Boba Rhett
01-15-2002, 12:55 AM
Well, there's a very large book called the Star Wars Encyclopedia. It covers pretty much everything in the Star Wars Universe. There are also more specific books out that cover specific sections of the SWU such as the characters, droids, vehicles, etc. You may have to order the SW Encyclopedia online. You can still order it from the fanclub I believe. I haven't seen it in stores for quite a while but the other ones can be picked up at pretty much any local bookstore. The cross-section book are pretty interesting too.

You could just forgo the books all together and check out the database at theforce.net. It's pretty extensive. :)

Hope that helps!
 Wraith 8
01-15-2002, 7:54 AM
well.. a book i have.. but it is an older one. one from just after the zahn trilogie appeared... but i do have a CD-rom with very much information of almost all books and about the 3 movies.... it doesnt cover much before a new hope.. but it is realy extencive... you can get a lot of answers from there....

hope that helps yah
 Com Raven
01-15-2002, 11:01 AM
Hmm, forgot the exact name , but it shouldn't be that old ..

"Guide to the Star Wars Universe " or something ...
 Rogue Nine
01-15-2002, 12:30 PM
There are various books out there that are specfic guides to weapons, ships, species and characters. Look for them in B&N. I'm sure they have them.
 StormHammer
01-15-2002, 7:09 PM
Originally posted by Wraith 9
well.. a book i have.. but it is an older one. one from just after the zahn trilogie appeared... but i do have a CD-rom with very much information of almost all books and about the 3 movies.... it doesnt cover much before a new hope.. but it is realy extencive... you can get a lot of answers from there....

I believe the CD you're referring to is the Behind The Magic 2-disc set, which as you say is quite informative. It's been out for a few years, so I don't know if it's still available. It does cover quite a bit on the EU (Expanded Universe) including a nice timeline (now a bit out of date).

I agree with Boba Rhett that the Star Wars Encyclopedia is also a very good place to start. Lots of information. The only problem is you can't do a Search...I'm spoiled by all this new-fangled technology. :D
 Darth Evad
01-16-2002, 8:12 AM
I've got the Star Wars Encyclopedia. It's good.

My kids pointed out to me shortly after I got it, Luke has the red sabre and Vader has the blue sabre on the cover.
 Eets
01-16-2002, 9:33 AM
Originally posted by StormHammer
I believe the CD you're referring to is the Behind The Magic 2-disc set, which as you say is quite informative. It's been out for a few years, so I don't know if it's still available. It does cover quite a bit on the EU (Expanded Universe) including a nice timeline (now a bit out of date).

Actually, it is in the LucasArts Archives, which means it's available at a much cheaper rate, somewhere around the range of $15.
 Wraith 8
01-16-2002, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by StormHammer

Yeah that is the one... but it is still available here in Holland. English ofcourse.. and we have a behind the magic for Episode 1. they realy tell a lot..
 Evaders99
01-16-2002, 10:36 PM
A Guide to the Star Wars Universe, version 3 - covers up to Vector Prime.

The Star Wars Encyclopedia doesn't include Episode 1 and current. However, it is a great assortment of Star Wars, from the comics, books, and the Essential guides, etc
 -Exar_Kun-
01-17-2002, 2:49 PM
well there is a download on TheForce.net that is like the book , Star Wars : Encyclopedia , but it is on the computer

( you open it with a note pad or word pad)

It has all the a Database with all the Star Wars books , I pretty sure games & Figures too. It includes eveything in Ep 1 and Ep 4 - 6 even before and after the Star Wars Saga and its free . But you'll hae to serch around for it .
 Com Raven
01-17-2002, 2:56 PM
Yeah, it is pretty impressive
 Maedyn
01-18-2002, 4:37 AM
Great! Thanks for all the info! :D

I ordered the Star Wars Encyclopedia from amazon.com, and it should be here next week. Can't wait!

Also, I've found a series of books titled "Star Wars: The Essential Guide to.......". There's quite a few of them, each one covering a different topic such as vehicles, droids, technology, character, planets, etc. Has anyone read these books? What did you think of them?
 Com Raven
01-18-2002, 7:54 AM
The first two (charas & ships) are a bit outdated but still great !
And Essential History is awesome !
 Wraith 8
01-18-2002, 9:09 AM
The entire STAR WARS story line is awesome... i mean.. it is GREAT.. so exciting and all... you just get dragged into it :D :D
 -Exar_Kun-
01-18-2002, 12:21 PM
I've fliped through a couple of them at Barns & Borders . They look pretty good . I suggest you get them . :duel:
 Com Raven
01-18-2002, 12:28 PM
Heh, nice animation Exar ...
 Kvan
01-22-2002, 3:30 PM
Well I usually use the Essential Gudes and the RPG books. Just those series of books will have all that you every needed to know:)
 Com Raven
01-23-2002, 7:23 AM
Yeah, as I am ill at the moment I was just flipping to some rpg sourcebooks this morning, they are really great ...
Page: 1 of 1