Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

What was you're first time?

Page: 1 of 1
 Niun
12-10-2001, 9:25 AM
So when did you first get introduced to the legend that is Star Wars?

This, of course, is going to date me a bit, but I was around for the original release in 1977. I was 9 years old (you can do the math) when it was first released. Things were a little different back then. I can still remember opening day for A New Hope. Theatre lines were so long, sometimes they would strech around the entire building.

At that time, the mark of a true fan was repeatedly seeing the movie over and over again. I had a few friends who saw the movie 50 - 60 times over that first summer!

From the very beginning I was hooked. We would have light sabre battles in the back yard with capes and whiffle ball bats. After Empire Strikes back came out, I remember learning some gynastics just so I could do a flip like Luke did in the movie.

Now more than twenty years later, I still wait with the same anticipation for Star Wars Galaxies and Episode II as I did for that very first release of Episode IV.

The Protectorate Player Association (http://www.theprotectorate.net)
 Juztyn
12-10-2001, 3:10 PM
I admit.. I never saw the movies in the theatre.. but then, I was born about 4 months after the release of RotJ. My 'first time' was at a friend's house when I was 8. We were bored, so he popped in The Empire Strikes Back... and it was all downhill from there. /forums/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif
 Darth Evad
12-10-2001, 4:15 PM
My mom took us to see ANH in 1977. I was 8.
It was awesome. Even my mom kept talking about it.
ESB in 1980 was much anticipated and my mom took us to see it. Definately my favourite. All I wanted for christmas was one of those snowspeeders you could buy (my parents never had much money so my dad kept telling me to make on out of wood in the basement. I never did).
RotJ in 1983 and I was old enough to go to the theatre by myself, but my mom took us to see it first. Then I saw it 11 more times in the theatre.

When Ep.1 was coming out I was like a 6 year old at christmas. Although I did not wait in line, I made sure I was at Blockbuster at midnight to pick up both versions of TPM when they came out. I let my kids stay home from school to watch it the next day (my wife wasn't too happy).
I cannot wait for Ep.2 AotC. I watch the trailers every once and awhile still.
Put on the head phones, adjust the sound, maximize quicktime on your screen and watch and listen when Jango Fett's Slave One comes at you.
I saw the trailer before Harry Potter in the theatre and...thats' it, I'm done. I can't wait for this movie (did I say that already?).

I don't think being a huge fan means you can name all the characters ever written about in the EU books. A huge fan is someone like me, and you guys, that can't wait for the next one to come out. I don't critisize the title. There's absolutely nothing wrong with it. I don't critisize Jar Jar even though there is something wrong with him /forums/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif . I am a gamer but only a Star Wars gamer. My desktop at home and at work is usually Star Wars related.

Anyway, it started in 1977 for me. /forums/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

And oh yeah, thanks to this site I can't wait for SWG. I just hope we don't all lose interest for the next 8 months or so until it comes out.
 Niun
12-10-2001, 8:50 PM
And oh yeah, thanks to this site I can't wait for SWG. I just hope we don't all lose interest for the next 8 months or so until it comes out.

Bite your tongue! Lose interest, bah!

All I wanted for christmas was one of those snowspeeders you could buy

I actually had the original Y-wing fighter. I used to get razzed about it because no one liked the Y-wing (it was the cheezy ship to have compared to the x-wing). I always was mad at my mom for buying me that. Now I wish I still had it. It's worth a small fortune.

I also had Slave I. Yes, I'm a total Boba Fett groupie. Now that is a kewl ship. Again, if only I had kept it!!!

In any case, this is also the first real Star Wars info site I followed when I found out about SWG. It's an excellent site, and I commend all you guys working on it; a job well done!

I also hang out at SlicerHQ now (seeing as they just hired me on as their flash / graphic designer). Amazing how many great sites are popping up!
 Charlie
12-11-2001, 7:57 AM
hmm let me think back... (dream sequence)..
Well it was many years ago when I found ANH recorded on tape...( I don't remember what year this was but it was definetly early nineties) I remember that it had some sound problem at times so I didn't hear what was said in the lightsaber scene in the cantina for many years.... But I had no idea what I was watching the next thing I remember about star wars is when I started renting it and then bought the trilogy and continued on through Special Edition and Ep 1
 Rai Qi-Kami
12-16-2001, 5:35 PM
I was three when my mom and dad took me to see ANH. I still remember parts of it, mainly the scene where Leia's corvette is enveloped by the Star Destroyer. It was the last thing we did "as a family" since my parents had just been divorced, and maybe that's what really makes it special, why I remember it so well. After that, of course, I had every Star Wars figure I could get my hands on, even sacrificing my GI JOE aircraft carrier in middle school for some kid's worthless-to-him Star Wars collection!
 Tracer
12-16-2001, 9:36 PM
1989 or '90, with my neighbour's CBS Fox 10th anniversery trilogy (she later gave them to me; I watched those videos until SE came out). It took me a while to get through them, though. I was afraid of the Jawas who shot Artoo.
 Andrew Spade
12-21-2001, 9:17 PM
I saw all of the original trilogy just 1 years ago and after the release of episode one because i am just 14 and i didn't know what they were about
 Habakkuk
12-21-2001, 11:51 PM
Being a young lad at the age of thirteen in 1977, I got the privilege of enjoying this movie with my dad in Virginia. It seems like every day we have talked about the Cantiana scene. As a matter factor, it has been every day, because we still talk about. I don't remember exactly, but I think it was the second or third day from opening that we saw the movie. I'm very fortunate enough to be able to close my eyes and still see that day very clearly, and even to have the movie booklet that Dad bought me at the theater. It definitely was a day long to remember. /forums/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif
 WinterJedi
01-14-2002, 10:12 AM
For me the first time is not something I really can remember, which is rather sad since I'm a big Star Wars fan. We have had the mvoies as long as I can remember, and I do remember myself sitting infront of the TV and watching Star Wars on VHS time and again. Now I have a lot of Star Wars things in my room, just as my older brother. :cool:
 Wraith 8
01-14-2002, 5:08 PM
well... when the movie came out i was about... let me think... :)
-3 years old :D
i was born in 1980.... so i wasnt realy mentally around when the first trilogy was brought out :D.
i was about 7 years old when i saw a bit of 'A new Hope' it was just the scene where Uncle Owne and Aunt Beru were killed and they showed they're carcasses.... so i didnt like the movie then :D :D

I became intersted with SF movies and series around 1993... it first was Star Trek.. i have some series and some movies from Star Trek... and then i saw the movie: 'The empire strikes back'
I loved that movie... from then i was a huge Star Wars fan.... and now i have lots of thing from star Wars...

My prise gadget or thing from Star wars is:
My Darth Vader shaped Telefone wich works perfectly :D :D

"You know, if I had even the tiniest control over the Force, What I,d do with it? I,d scratch that little spot in the center of my back I can never reach."
-Garik Loran-
X-wing Series, Book 5. Wraith Squadron.
 Evaders99
01-14-2002, 5:15 PM
Hmm - I remember seeing those movies for the first time, but I didn't really get into it until I read Zahn's books. Then it all went from there...
 StormHammer
01-15-2002, 7:17 PM
I was 10 in 1977 when Star Wars was released...but we moved house that year, so I didn't get to see it until the beginning of 1978. I've been an avid Star Wars fan ever since.

In a way, though, I think Star Wars was a double-bladed lightsaber. It really showed up the visual short-comings of every SF program on TV...and I just lost interest in a lot of them. On the plus side, of course, it inspired other directors to look more critically at their own work. Would we have seen the likes of Alien and Blade Runner...or even the Star Trek movies? Certainly food for thought.

The most memorable SW event for me was watching all 3 movies in one go on the release of ROTJ in 1983. I must have been in that cinema for nearly 7 hours...but it blew me away - and it was a nice 16th birthday present. :D
 Eets
01-18-2002, 5:49 PM
Well my first time was in the back seat of a car... OH!

You mean star wars.. :D I had known about it all my life, but wasn't really a fan until my family rented the special edition on VHS one day.. From then on I was hooked!
 Wraith 8
01-21-2002, 1:20 PM
Originally posted by Eets'chula
Well my first time was in the back seat of a car... OH!

You mean star wars.. :DHAHAHHAHHAHHAHHHA :D :D :Dhttp://www.plauder-smilies.de/lol2.gif)

now EETS!!! how could you ?? http://www.plauder-smilies.de/nono.gifhttp://www.plauder-smilies.de/happy/roflmao.gif)
 Eets
01-21-2002, 1:36 PM
Whatever do you mean? :)
 Wraith 8
01-21-2002, 3:03 PM
ooh nothing Eets' i thought you ....... never mind.

Thanks again for the sig and avatar :D (to get on another subject :D)

"You know, if I had even the tiniest control over the Force, What I,d do with it? I,d scratch that little spot in the center of my back I can never reach."
-Garik Loran-
X-wing Series, Book 5. Wraith Squadron.
 Kylilin
01-23-2002, 1:04 PM
I went to see RotJ in the movies when I was 4, but my older brothers by that time had every know Star Wars action figure and vehicle in the known universe...
 Woad
02-06-2002, 7:43 PM
I was about 5 or 6 and I came across a picture book of the Empire Strikes Back, it was all over from there.
 Jan Gaarni
02-07-2002, 3:28 PM
I was born the same year ANH came out, so I never got to c them on the Silver Screen :(

For me it all started when I saw ANH on TV for the very first time.
Don't remember exactly how old I was. Prolly around 9-10 years I think. I had heard stories about Star Wars before, but I had never seen anything from it so I was very exited to see them.
It was nothing like I had imagined it to be.
It was better.
Much better.
And like everybody else here, I got hooked. :D
 Wraith 8
02-07-2002, 3:59 PM
Jan. where are you from??
 Jan Gaarni
02-08-2002, 11:37 AM
Norway. :D

Why?
 Wraith 8
02-08-2002, 2:03 PM
well euh.... that name: Jan... its a very Dutch name :D that is why :D but i see you filled it in now.
 Jan Gaarni
02-08-2002, 3:51 PM
Well, actually I "took" it from Jan Dodonna cause i couldn't figure out a first name for my nick name. ;)
I say "took", cause it's also part of my real first name. :p
Like I said, couldn't figure out a Star-Wars-like first name. lol :D
 Wraith 8
02-13-2002, 2:34 AM
ah... well yeah ok... Jan is also a name in the scandinavian countries...... even if it is just part of your name. :D

Nice knowing you :D
 Belbr Ammen
02-14-2002, 12:13 AM
I was about 11 years old. Still in to Arnold and Stallone blow-up everything movies, or really stupid movies starring Paulie Shore. I was living with some friends of the family for the summer. I guess finally the got tired of the movies I was watching because the sat me down on the couch and told me that they were going to show me what a real movie was like.

They popped in ANH and it started playing. To be honest, I was very unimpressed with the opening music and the scrolling words (mind you I am 11 and completely hated to read anything). But as soon as I saw a Star Destroyer, I was hooked. I sat mesmerized for the next 121 minutes.

When the movie was over. They asked me what I had thought of it. I immediately began to babble for a half an hour. When I was finished they told me that there were two sequels. I watch them both the very afternoon.

And the next day. I watched all three again.
 Evo Wahn Jhin
02-26-2002, 7:08 AM
I've been a fan since I was 6 so prolly 1986 is the year I was hooked! I'll admit that I havent read any of the SW's books but Ive played every Starwars video game since I was 6:D

Now that im almost 21, I feel I cant stop being a badass and let my true geekyness show:p I truly want to read a good Star Wars book! What are the best ones?
 Evo Wahn Jhin
02-26-2002, 7:12 AM
Hey do you euro guys know what nationality the last name Dockler is? Thats my last name and none in my family knows what it is, lol.
 Wraith 8
02-26-2002, 10:40 AM
well for books... i dont know. My personal favorite are X-wing book 5, 6 and 7. they are Wraith Squadron :D.as you have seen from my avatar, name and sig that im a fan of them :D.
The X-wing series are very exciting. im reading book number 8 now.illl try to list a view next time :D in a couple of minutes i guess.

about you name..... Dockler.
well the name seems to be english... but that doesnt say anything. if the 'l' were a 't' i would say you were Dutch :D. I dont know .... realy i dont know. ir could be from many Europian countries.
 Evo Wahn Jhin
02-26-2002, 10:58 AM
cool, thanks:D
 Darth Evad
02-26-2002, 12:43 PM
No. Start with the original trilogy books. There's always stuff in there that gives a little insight into what's going on.
Also read TPM. There's a good part in there where Anakin meets up with some tusken raiders.

Ep. 2 spoiler
When you read TPM and see his interactions with the Tuskens then the Tusken scene in AotC will characterize him a bit more.
http://members.rogers.com/darthevad/pics/slash.gif)
 Evo Wahn Jhin
02-26-2002, 1:47 PM
Great! Thanks for the insight
 Wraith 8
02-26-2002, 1:55 PM
well ill post my books here so you can choose one :D and ill post them in the right time.
I translated some titles from Dutch... so i dont know if everything checks out.

Darth Maul, Shadowhunter (Dutch) (before Ep1)
The Phantom Menace (Dutch) (Episode 1)
Rogue planet (Dutch) (after Ep1)

Truce at Bakure (Dutch) (right after Ep 6)
X-wing book nr.1 Rogue Squadron (English)
X-wing book nr.2 Wedge Gamble (English)
X-wing book nr.3 Krytos Trap (English)
X-wing book nr.4 Bacta War (English) very exciting
X-wing book nr.5 Wraith Squadron (English) very exciting
X-wing book nr.6 Iron Fist (English) very exciting
X-wing book nr.7 Solo Command (English) very exciting
Courtship of Princess Leia (Dutch)

The Zahn Trilogie very exciting
Heir of the Empire (Dutch) (believed believed to be Episode 7)
The power of the Dark side (Dutch) (believed to be Episode 8)
The last command (Dutch) (believed to be Episode 9)

X-wing book nr.8 Isards revenge (English)

The Jedi Academi trilogie
Jedi Search (English)
Dark Apprentice (English)
Champions of the force (Dutch)

X-wing book nr.9 Starfighters of Adumar (English)
I, Jedi (English)
Cristal Star (Dutch)
Childeren of the Jedi (Dutch)
Doomsday device (Dutch) very exciting

The Corellian trilogie very exciting
Ambush at Correlia (Dutch)
Attack at Selonia (Dutch)
............ at Centerpoint (Dutch)

hope it helps

-Wraith 8-
 Evo Wahn Jhin
02-26-2002, 2:08 PM
Well looks like Im heading down to the library tonight:D

Here is something crazy! I talked to my father today about our last name and I guess It used to be Dockter :eek: My grandfather joined the amry during the korean war and he left out the line to make it a "t" because he hated his family with a passion and didnt want to have the same last name.

Guess you learn something every day:D

What is the meaning of Dockter and what nationality is that?

Thanks very much!
 Jan Gaarni
02-26-2002, 3:26 PM
The Timothy Zahn books are great, although I've only read the comic version of them. :D Anyway, I enjoyed the comics so the books must be even better and of course more indepthed. A definant must read trilogy. :D

Here's the English titles of the three Zahn Trilogy:

1. Dark Force Rising
2. Heir to the Empire
3. Last Command

'Shadows of the Empire' is also a good book, although I've only read the comic version of this one too. :rolleyes: It's situated sometime between 'Empire Strikes Back' and 'Return of the Jedi'.
It involves Vaders continual search for Luke, the search for Han, Rebellions investigation of Prince Xixors sincerity of offer to use his Black Sun smuggling organisation to provide them with supplies, and Prince Xixors attempts to humiliate Vader in front of the Emperor so that he can take Vaders place as Palpatines right hand.
 Evo Wahn Jhin
02-26-2002, 3:45 PM
that sounds awesome!
 Wraith 8
02-26-2002, 5:39 PM
Originally posted by Evo Wahn Jhin
Well looks like Im heading down to the library tonight:D

Here is something crazy! I talked to my father today about our last name and I guess It used to be Dockter :eek: My grandfather joined the amry during the korean war and he left out the line to make it a "t" because he hated his family with a passion and didnt want to have the same last name.

Guess you learn something every day:D

What is the meaning of Dockter and what nationality is that?

Thanks very much!
well in my country it is a very fancy name for dokter or medical guy :D. like my last name is Klasen, but there are many different variants of it. the fanciest is: Cleassens. but you pronounce them the same way.
 Wraith 8
02-26-2002, 5:40 PM
Originally posted by Jan Gaarni
1. Dark Force Rising
2. Heir to the Empire
3. Last Commandyeah thats it... i wasnt sure anymore.... thanx :D :D
 Rommel
03-04-2002, 5:52 AM
I was a sophmore in highschool and she was a junior, we had been dating for a few months and.....oh wait your talking about my first time with star wars!

LOL

Saw empire strikes back IN THE THEATRE, THE ORIGINAL ONE! After that of course I and all my friends collected the toys including a millenium falcon giant thing that was like 4 x 4 feet. Wasn't until return of the jedi that I got really into the toys though.
 Wraith 8
03-06-2002, 5:22 PM
you are just as worse as Eets :D :D :p
Page: 1 of 1