Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

PC upgrades.

Page: 1 of 1
 Darth Evad
12-06-2001, 7:54 PM
Who is going to have to upgrade thier PC's for this game (probably all of us)?

I'm going from a PIII 700, nVidia TNT2 32MB, 192MB RAM to a PIV 1.8, ATI 7500 64MB, 256MB+ RAM for JKII and I suspect that will be plenty for SWG.
 Juztyn
12-06-2001, 8:05 PM
I'm probably going to have to *at least* upgrade my 3d card. Methinks a GeForce3 with 64mb of ram is in my future /forums/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif
 Charlie
12-06-2001, 10:58 PM
What? I am going to have to upgrade from my 533MHz Amd K6-2 with 3D now!?
Yes I will most likely break down and do so..

Besides even if my processor can handle it I doubt that my Trident Blade 3d card can even come close to handling the graphics.
../me thinks back to experience when Tribes 2 was all messed up and crashed the first minute into the game that I played it....
 Tracer
12-07-2001, 4:57 AM
I'll only need to upgrade my video card (RADEON LE...don't buy this) and RAM.
 Niun
12-08-2001, 12:35 AM
The developers haven't put out any definitive specs yet as to what you'll need. I know I'll be upgrading at least my video card, if not more. You know, the funny thing is the one thing that has kept me up to date with my computer hardware is not my work, but my games!
 Darth Evad
12-08-2001, 2:35 PM
Heh...me too.

I'm starting with a new video card too. ATI Radeon 7500 64MB.
I first upgraded for TPM and when that wasn't enough to run it at full, I convinced my wife we needed a new comp. /forums/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif
 Kedri
12-08-2001, 4:21 PM
Yeah, I'm thinking by the time the game is released I'll have had to upgrade my system anyway, just 'cause I'm such a nut about the latest and greatest...
 MadQuack
12-08-2001, 6:29 PM
I'm going to get a new processor for the computer downstairs, but the one I'm using now is fine. I've been thinking about saving up for a GF3, though.
 Charlie
12-11-2001, 8:08 AM
I've been dreaming of a great computer and sometime next I WILL buy it..... No you can't stop me I will accomplish my goal
/forums/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif
 Jamie
12-11-2001, 6:07 PM
I'm upgrading my computer soon with this game in mind.. currently running on a p III 500mhz voodoo 3 3000 machine with 96 ram.. I'm going to likely just buy a new machine.
 Niun
12-14-2001, 5:41 PM
That's about mine as well. Although I have a bit more ram. In any case, with 2ghz systems coming out and 100mhz bus and RAM speeds, I don't think I can upgrade anymore. Getting a whole new system ends up being a bit cheaper.

The scary thing is that I can't even build PC's for the price places like Dell and Gateway are selling them now. It cost me more to put one together myself (although, I can get picky about what I put into it).

One myth I want to dispel now, while I'm on the topic. A friend of my was contemplating a dual processor motherboard. This will NOT make your games run faster. It will allow you to multicast applications much better, but most programs are not written to take advantage of dual processors. Spend you're money on a faster single processor and scsi on board before you do that... just in case anyone like my friend is out there.
 Anonymous
12-15-2001, 4:25 PM
Although someone was correct in mentioning you can get a DELL or GATEWAY system for 'almost' less than building it yourself, you gotta look at the specs. 95% of retail systems from pretty much ALL these companies suck when it comes to performance or parts and even quality of parts. I am an OEM systems builder and I build systems every day, and know that if you are looking for upgreadeability or real speed, you won't bother with an off the shelf pos like those. Find a local computer guy to build you one, do some research of the prices and parts and you will be quite a bit happier. Only thing retail brand PC's have going for them is their warranty, which all it does, is replace a 'broken' pc with a new of the same model. I used to be a field tech for those companies and also know their parts are below even OEM quality. Most people don't know that either.
Just FYI eveyone.

MrNuke
mrnuke7571@aol.com
 Anonymous
12-15-2001, 4:28 PM
Also, about the DUAL CPU issue.
Having a DUAL CPU WILL make your game smoother almost ALWAYS. This is due to the fact, that if you run Win XP PRo or Win2K or even WinNT 4, one CPU will be dedicated to the game in the foreground, while the 2nd one wil be doign all the I/O for the system. This can add anywhere from 5-20% increase in system response. Not necessarily faster FPS, but a constant smoother run.

MrNuke
mrnuke7571@aol.com
 Niun
12-18-2001, 10:52 PM
I'm not saying that you're going to get top of the line parts with a off the shelf PC. But for most of the people that are looking at purchasing, they don't have a PC guy handy who can build (and maintain) a system for them.

I do a lot of PC work, and I can set up a great system that is comprable to the prices out there, but there are times when I still have to do some maintenance now and then. Unless you've got a real 'friend in the buisness', I don't suggest people having a PC built by a friend. Especially if it has problems later on. Unless you know you're going to be able to count on them if you need it.

You are right about 'smoothness'. I've just gotten a few people who think that since they have a dual processor computer, that everything they run will run twice as fast. Yes, it better perform better with 2 processors. Again, considering that most of the people out there are not experienced with computer systesms, they tend to have unrealistic expectations about things like performace of a dual processor system because they are not familiar with computer systems in general. I wanted to dispel that assumption. I would not recommend someone purchasing a dual processor system for a home computer unless they've got money to burn on an extra processor.
 Piccolo
12-22-2001, 5:15 PM
I think the most common upgrade will be ram, even though I'll need a whole new computer (166mmx just doesn't cut it.)
With the new Everquest expansion requiring (I believe) somewhere around 512mb *correction, requires 256mb, 512 mb are strongly recommended*, I think it's a fair assumption that Galaxies will require that or more.

12-23-2001, 11:42 PM
A RAM upgrade never hurt /forums/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif. RAM prices have really come down a lot, so this is a good time if you're planning to upgrade. Just be sure that you're getting the correct RAM for your computer. There are a few different kinds, and there are some specific things you should know before you upgrade your RAM depending on the age of your computer. The best thing to do is look at your documentation (if you have any), or find someone who knows a little bit about computers before you go out and purchase an upgrade to make sure you get what you need.
 Charlie
12-24-2001, 1:22 AM
One thing I highly doubt is that it will require more than 512 mb. Seeing as how thats the limit for most users.
 Darth Evad
12-24-2001, 2:27 AM
How much RAM do you really need for playing games? Any game available today.
 Niun
12-25-2001, 1:41 AM
You really need to look at the packaging and look at the min and recommended. I don't suggest playing a game at the minimum ram recommened. This usually means that you will not be able to play the game with all the 'bells and whistles'.

For the most part, you'd do fine with 256mb, but that is changing. I run 512 on my machines now, but I'll most likely be upgrading to a gig next year (I like to try and stay a little ahead of the game).
 Darth Evad
12-25-2001, 11:32 AM
1GB...a little ahead? /forums/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif
 Rogue15
01-14-2002, 2:28 PM
holy crap the massassians are invading!
 Com Raven
01-14-2002, 2:30 PM
Hmm, maybe take a bit more ram, but otherwise I hope I'll be fine ...
 ALTUS_Fett
01-14-2002, 2:57 PM
Well, I hope that by the time it comes out I'll have a whole new pc. :D
 Wraith 8
01-14-2002, 5:11 PM
Same here Altus..:D :D i will have a brand new PC.... with enough to go around for a while... :D
 EDG/Mauly-DarkJ
01-15-2002, 6:27 PM
I just built a brand new custom rig just for this game....Im excited...
 -Exar_Kun-
01-17-2002, 7:28 PM
I just have to update my 3d card and thats all.
 Maedyn
01-18-2002, 4:48 AM
My new Falcon Northwest has a 1.6GHz AMD, a Geforce 3 Ti500, and 512 MB DDR PC2100 RAM. I'm pretty certain I won't have to upgrade to play SWG. But with an entire year until this game releases, I'll will probably have upgraded at least some part of it by then.

Anyone else heard that the Geforce 4 will be out next month? It supports 8X FSAA. :joy:
 Sounds Risky
01-25-2002, 2:19 PM
I need to upgrade my connection . . .

*wishes DSL will actually arrive this year*
 CyrisVenator
01-26-2002, 1:47 AM
my 486 with 2 kb or ram will owzar you all in SWG!
 Lemon Head
01-26-2002, 6:08 AM
I'd commit quite a few murders and even torture kittens to get my hands on a GeForce 3 Ti500
Page: 1 of 1