Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Pay to Play?

Page: 1 of 1
 Juztyn
11-24-2001, 4:12 PM
Opinions on the article? Post 'em here!

http://www.swgalaxies.net/articles/article.php3?article_id=5)

- Juz
 Niun
11-26-2001, 8:50 PM
I think the typical mentality of the internet is that every service should be free. This mentality is why the whole 'dot.bomb' phenomenon finally came to pass. Companies received millions (tens of millions) of dollars to develop web sites that gave no worthwhile service what-so-ever. They now, of course, are gone.

I have especially admired game developers. You are looking at the cream of the crop when it comes to designers and programmers who live on salaries that are amazingly sub-standard when considering their talents. Yet they continue to do it.

We pay $10 for a movie these days, and that only keeps us entertained for a few hours. Anyone that has something a say about the little they pay for a months worth of immersion into some of the most amazing worlds ever created needs to take a step back and look at the big picture. Kudos on your article.
 Janzeke Khan
06-02-2002, 11:07 PM
It's not really the cost or the fact that you have to pay to play, it's the way you have to pay that keeps most people from playing Online games. Others will agree that their Mothers and Fathers will never let them use their credit card(s) to pay for anything. And so we are forced to stay away, people that are 18 and up can get a credit card but how could you if you have no job. So I raise the question, Why can't we be billed like you get bills for your gas and lights?
 Koffin
06-03-2002, 4:25 AM
Originally posted by Janzeke Khan
It's not really the cost or the fact that you have to pay to play, it's the way you have to pay that keeps most people from playing Online games. Others will agree that their Mothers and Fathers will never let them use their credit card(s) to pay for anything. And so we are forced to stay away, people that are 18 and up can get a credit card but how could you if you have no job. So I raise the question, Why can't we be billed like you get bills for your gas and lights?

I havent read the article so forgive me if im covering the same ground twice.

but in regards to the problem with minors being able to pay monthly, a smart marketer would sell cards similar to calling cards. They could be purchased over the counter at local game stores and will include a certain amount of minutes or months for a specific price.

Billing someone might cause problems with logistics, especialy in some areas where minors can not be held accountable for a bill without someone over 18 cosigning or assuming responsibility.
 Little Red Riding Hood
06-10-2002, 11:49 AM
I know that this might be a often posted topic, but why dosn't you just pay very much for the game? Maybe as much as 80 $. I know that won't pay all of the servers but it's a start. It's not always safe to give others ( I'm of course talking about the games publisher) on the internet your bank account. Hackers and others can find out what the account is, and just take money for them self. I don't say that it happens all the time, but sometimes... Too often. :confused:
 Wraith 8
06-10-2002, 12:23 PM
well ....

you already gave the answer.. :D it doesnt pay for the bandwith

BUT.. i heard that some everquest players were able to buy a card in store somewhere.. for the same amount of money and with that card you could play everquest for another month ...

But i dont know if this will be the same for SWGalxies.

hope that helpes you a bit

-Wraith 8-
 Gaalgoth
07-02-2002, 7:44 AM
Also, if we were to pay more for the game we would end up paying a lot more for it then $80. After all, Warcraft 3 is $65 and it won't take up as many expenses as teh SWG servers will. You would have to think more along the lines of $150.
 Ewok Hunter
07-06-2002, 10:19 AM
the main problem is the large fee for the main program, $60 slightly more than many non collector edition games. when they release the console versions of galaxies, the ammount of information which servers will have to store will increase exponentialy because some of the consoles don't have permanent hard drives and the memory cards only hold a few megs. *cough GCN* Many of these console people buy consoles because they are too lazy/stupid to go through buggier products and download patches to fix the games. like i said earlier, it will be more difficult to maintain the servers, and they'd need individual 'clusters' for each system because of compaibilty problems; therfore, they will have to charge more for consoles per month perhaps up to $20 a month. do you think that these lazy people will pay a third of the cost of the game per month in addition to the costs for the system's internet cost? sorry, just venting. if you're going to flame me, just remember the old saying "don't feed the troller"
BTW how do you like my new avatar?
 Ewok Hunter
07-08-2002, 1:36 AM
ugh what happened:elephant: just ignore my earlier post, I was not thinking strait when I wrote it.:D
 Kylco Cotam
08-04-2002, 12:38 AM
Im gonna have to say the real question here is the ways of paying each month and every way has there downfalls from billing with out supervision or confusion to hacking into bank accounts. I say make a year payment like a subscription with the credit card then you dont need to worry about hacking. Then when your subscriptions over you'll be sent a notice. Id say thats the easyiest and safest way of doing this.
 Kylco Cotam
08-04-2002, 12:40 AM
O and 1 more thing you know nothings free these days so theres no way of avoiding this.
 Ewok Hunter
08-04-2002, 12:50 AM
kylco, no one looks in the feed back forum. if you want to discuss this go here (http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=56428)
 Thew Rydur
08-04-2002, 12:52 AM
hey come on ewok that feedback forum deserves to be treated equaly. ;)
 Kylco Cotam
08-04-2002, 12:53 AM
oops
 Ewok Hunter
08-04-2002, 12:54 AM
yep thew it should be treated fairly, all 3 theads of it ;)
 Jaym Dentuhn
09-01-2002, 11:00 PM
Pay2Play. Well, I think paying to play such a cool game is no problem, (of course I don't pay for it, my dad does) I think we should all be glad they don't charge by the hour (i'd go bankrupt in a week)
 Thew Rydur
09-01-2002, 11:09 PM
Yeah, um just a suggestion don't bump up posts like this. Just start a new one... Or else Ewok Hunter will eat you! :ewok:
 Wraith 8
09-02-2002, 6:24 AM
uhm.. its ok.. but i dont realy think this thread should go here.. it should be a discussion in the general discusiion.. start a thread there ok :D
Page: 1 of 1