Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

What's so great about Droideka's?

Page: 1 of 1
 Grimjack
01-08-2002, 1:30 AM
A lot of people on this board seam to like Hvy Destroyer Droids. I've even had people yell at me for not making them when I'm the TF. Lets compare the stats of a fully upgraded Hvy Driodeka to a fully upgraded Hvy Strike Mech.

Hvy Destroyer Droid
HP 85/85 (shields)
ATK 12
AR 5/10
RNG 9
COST 50 carbon 150 nova

Hvy Strike Mech
HP 188
ATK 12
AR 5/10
RNG 9
COST 50 food 100 carbon

The Strike Mech also moves faster.

Now here's the part That gets me. The Droideka is a troop so you have to buy all the troop upgrades. Which in my opinion is a big waste since all of the other TF troops suck and most people never use them. While with the Strike Mech you only have to buy the Mech upgrades which any TF player going to buy anyway. Yes the Droideka look cool but I think thats a very high price to pay to look cool. So I'm asking why are Hvy Destroyer Droids so great?
 Leia's Panties
01-08-2002, 1:42 AM
Your stats look good in theory and may even be right. My experiences with DD's both using and having them used against me is that they make a mockery of the Heavy strike mech. Dont ask me why or how.... they just chew everything up. The only posible explanation i can give is maybe they shoot double beams (both arms). Id imagine thats merely an animation but I really cant explain why I also think DD's are insane and any TF player who doesnt use them is nuts.
 Leia's Panties
01-08-2002, 1:43 AM
Plus they are they only unit that REALLY chew up dark troopers who can absorb a hell of a lot of damage from pretty much anything else
 1MGxLeGion
01-08-2002, 8:35 PM
Well its all in the sheilds, if you watch sometimes certain units unless you use a bunch of them, can't even penetrate the DD's sheild therefore have a big advantage over strike mechs.
 Grimjack
01-09-2002, 1:19 AM
The stats are correct they're taken from v1.1 of the game (not that they're different in v1.0). If you compare base unit stats the DD is much better than the Strike Mech but the TF doesn't have all the troop upgrades. That the allows the Strike Mech to catch up to the DD when they're fully upgraded. As for the shields they're no harder to get through then the rest of the DD's HP but they do regenerate which is nice. I still don't think it's worth the extra resources just to have the same unit with shields.
 Natopo
01-09-2002, 1:59 AM
Well I always play TF and DD's are really good. Not just at destroying dark troopers but they are more effective then strike mechs when attacking a building. That makes them better than
strike mechs.
 Gaming Nut
01-09-2002, 5:04 AM
Their beter alright If you looked at a pummels stat youd think a turret could beat it.
 duder
01-09-2002, 5:07 AM
Apart from their incredible dura armour!!!
 Rogue15
01-09-2002, 8:39 PM
i use the droidekas to guard my base against troopers and mounted troopers.
 Natopo
01-18-2002, 3:49 AM
I do that alot. They're good in offense and defense.
 FeldmanSkitzoid
01-19-2002, 5:17 AM
I think my favorite thing about them is how cool they are. The roll up into a wheel! That's so cool!

Here's a little continuity error: They shoot two lasers at a time, right? Well, in the movie, they have two sets of lasers, four total. They shoot the left set, then the rigtht, then the left again, giving them a fairly high attack rate. Too bad it's not the same in the game, but it's close enough.

As long as we're talking continuity, the AT-AT's lasers are red in the movie, but in the game they're green.

Just minor things! Not that it makes a difference at all!

Has anyone else noticed any continuity errors?
 Leia's Panties
01-19-2002, 7:17 AM
The AT-AT's lasers are green to remain with the game continuity of red being anti infantry, blue being anti mech and green being anti building/heavy weapons.

I think the colour descrepecy is something that i can overlook, its the sound that makes me always build a few when i play empire.
 Gaming Nut
01-19-2002, 8:23 AM
Yeah well it wouldn't make a big diffrance you get 2 shots of 2 in the time of one brust of 4 i prefer the later a big punch over high cyclic rate though haveing both is great.
 DSEMEPROR_VIPER
01-20-2002, 5:58 AM
well it only takes 4 hits with mech destroyers to take them out they are so weak,and artillery owns against them
 Natopo
01-21-2002, 6:42 AM
I wish they had better graphics for the DDs. When they uncurl?
 Gaming Nut
01-21-2002, 12:45 PM
Artillry stinks againts them they are fast roll foward get clsoe and rip them up mech destory own them true but every unit has a counter.
Page: 1 of 1