Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Beginner's Lesson: Army Intelligence

Page: 1 of 1
 SirKai
01-07-2002, 2:06 PM
This is a lesson from one beginner to another about the stupid things your army will sometimes do and how to control it. Just passing on knowledge to others like me who are not naturally gifted at picking up game strategies and winning at games without breaking a sweat.

When you send a worker to gather food by killing a small animal (clicking the worker and right clicking a small animal), the worker may decide on it's own to go hunt a nearby bigger animal. This usually gets your worker killed. Solutions: 1) Have your workers attack the bigger animals en masse before taking on the smaller animals, 2) Have some troopers kill any large animals before sending your workers after small animals, or 3) Keep an eye on your workers and don't let them attack bigger creatures in the first place.

When you send your scout out and leave him in the open, he'll often get attacked by a wandering creature without protecting himself. Solution: 1) The moment you hear a creature attack sound and see your scout flashing white on the little game map, quickly click on the little game map and move your scout to another location, or 2) Always direct your scout back to your base camp before taking your attention off of him to attend to other business.

Pummels and cannons, which are both building destroys created by the heavy mech factory, are just as happy firing at enemy walls as they are at enemy buildings. Yes, you may have to use them to punch through walls but, once there's a hole for your troops, you want those enemy buildings to expire. Keep a careful eye on your building-trashing mechs and keep them aimed at buildings, not walls.

Those anti-aircraft troops and mechs are as stupid as the rest. Lets assume you grab them along with a bunch of other troops and mechs, and launch an assault. Can you believe that the AA-troops/mechs will march to the front of the line to get slaughtered by the enemy? Solutions: 1) Control the AA-troops/mechs separately from your attack troops/mechs. You want the AA's close to, but not in front of, the front line. Best technique is to select attackers into one group and assign them to the number 1, assign defense like AA's and bounty hunters to the number 2, and assign building trashers to group 3. That way you can punch a single number on the keyboard to get the correct troops/mechs for the correct job. 2) Instead of having your army specifically attack certain targets, put the whole attacking army on Defense only status (attack but don't move) in the Line formation. This automatically puts your heavies up front, your defense in the rear, and keeps them together in a tight-knit group. Move them forward slowly by small distances. Once they have destroyed everything in range, move them up a small distance again and let them take out whatever is in range again.

Lastly, never put your troops on all out attack status, the button on the far left next to the one that makes them attack but return to position. On all out attack, they will chase an enemy to their death. At the very least, you'll have units running all over the place and it's a hassle to round them back up. Whenever a troop/mech is created, it is automatically on all out attack. The best technique is to change any new pieces to some other status immediately. This will prevent suicide runs and keep your army pretty much in formation.

Hope you found this useful,
SirKai
 Chessack
01-07-2002, 3:11 PM
Well said on all counts.
 Natopo
01-07-2002, 9:52 PM
I agree. Good strategies and very well said.
 captain_drake
01-09-2002, 10:17 AM
Maybe we should recomand this thread to all beganirers
 Kudar
01-09-2002, 10:30 AM
I've posted it on battlegroundsuk.com I hope you don't mind - it's really quite useful information.
 SirKai
01-09-2002, 2:08 PM
Thanks for the compliments on my post. You may copy it or refer to it as you like. I'm currently working on another one. Just wanting to share information with beginners so they don't have to learn this stuff the long hard way.

SirKai
 Chessack
01-09-2002, 2:50 PM
A worthy investment of your time... although if they're like me, they might enjoy learning it the hard way. I always find that to be part of the fun of the game. ;)
Page: 1 of 1