Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Defensive structures strategies

Page: 1 of 1
 SirKai
12-31-2001, 1:30 PM
I am curious how people effectively use defensive structures such as turrets, walls, etc.

Do you usually use light, medium, or heavy walls?

When in the game do you first start placing your turrets, walls, etc.? For instance, do you build an army of 30 troops first? Do you instantly build turrents at a certain Tech level and walls in the next? Do you only build turrets after constructing your walls?

For offensive players, do you ever build walls or just space out a bunch of turrets?

For defensive players, do you surround your entire camp with walls or is the computer too stupid to go around if you leave the back end of your base open?

Thanks in advance for any strategy you can offer.

SirKai
King of Barad-Duin
 Surfnshannon
12-31-2001, 5:08 PM
i found the computer on moderate and the other harder levels that they will find your gaps in your wall and go around...but usually you can see them first and attack before they get it...

usually i wait to set up my turrets till i know where they are and where my weak points are.
 Boba Sith
01-06-2002, 9:15 AM
I use walls when i am playing defensively but i always use laser turrets and aa turrets, they have saved my life on occasions.:fett:
 Chessack
01-06-2002, 3:33 PM
Originally posted by SirKai
I am curious how people effectively use defensive structures such as turrets, walls, etc.

Do you usually use light, medium, or heavy walls?

When in the game do you first start placing your turrets, walls, etc.? For instance, do you build an army of 30 troops first? Do you instantly build turrents at a certain Tech level and walls in the next? Do you only build turrets after constructing your walls?

For offensive players, do you ever build walls or just space out a bunch of turrets?

For defensive players, do you surround your entire camp with walls or is the computer too stupid to go around if you leave the back end of your base open?

I upgrade the first time for walls and towers usually late in tech 3, then again in tech 4... this depends on how much spare Ore I have lying around, and on whether the walls and towers are all built or not. I don't usually upgrade walls until my entire town is fully surrounded and protected with walls and towers.

The instant TL 2 has arrived, I immediately make a worker who will become a dedicated wall builder. He builds walls and turrets until my entire city is surrounded and protected (or has terrain features such as forests to block enemy progress). When he's done with that, I set him to work buildnig a nice set of AA turrets. After that, if there's ore to be had, I will start him on shield generators. So he basically works from the start of age 2 until well into late age 4.

I build turrets as I construct the walls. Turrets flank gates, and then walls fill out the area to the nearest terrain feature. If it's too far for the turrets to have line of sight (LOS) all the way to the flanking terrain feature, I buld another turret. I keep the turrets and walls on the same line, to give max LOS to the turrets (if you put them a few spaces behind the walls, it will defend them better at the cost of losing some LOS and letting enemy units get closer to you before you detect them).

The computer is probably too stupid to go around but I always surround myself anyway. In most games, you are close enough to one side of the map that I just use that as my "back wall" and build my side walls to meet it.

May the Force be with you.
 Natopo
01-06-2002, 8:34 PM
If you have Bothan Spynet then you should build a wall ariund the enemies base but back on topic, this is my strategy: In Tech lvl 2 I start building a wall that surrounds my base and I have turrets and aa turrets behind them. I use at least 5 workers to do this. I keep on upgrading them and then it becomes very hard to get in the base. especially with shield walls.
 Natopo
01-06-2002, 8:55 PM
But the Bothan Spynet can be used as an offensive AND a defensive reasearch. You know when your enemy is going to attack you so you can get ready.
 duder
01-07-2002, 5:26 AM
I doubt that bothan spynet is a valid option against anyone except a newbie.
 Gaming Nut
01-07-2002, 5:29 AM
You could buy like 60 grenad troopers for it's cost or like 12 assualt mechs the only reason to get is if your on inlands and can't really scout whats on other inlands ahead of landings.
 Natopo
01-07-2002, 6:04 AM
Originally posted by duder
I doubt that bothan spynet is a valid option against anyone except a newbie.
Yes, but it is helpful. You know exactly when he sends his guys. Too bad there isn't anything like a gap generator in this game.
 Grimjack
01-07-2002, 3:02 PM
I always build walls when I'm against the computer and almost never against other players. Against the computer I build walls as soon as I hit T2. I usually try to just fill in the gaps in the terrian like at the shallows on river maps ect. because the comp rarely uses alternate methods (like transports) to get around them. This leaves a lot of room to expand. Then I just throw up a few turrets, maybe a castle later, and I'm good to go.

Against a good player walls are a lot less effective. I usually don't bother with them and instead concentrate more on turrets and shield generators. Although in player vs. player matches I feel the best defense is a good offense.
 Chessack
01-07-2002, 3:09 PM
Originally posted by Grimjack
Although in player vs. player matches I feel the best defense is a good offense.

And against the computer, it seems like the best offense is a good defense (that is, sit there and fight him off until you're really ready, and then go after him... by then he's wasted so many resources uselessly charging you that he has little left to truly defend himself).
 Rogue15
01-09-2002, 1:34 PM
ehehe i 'played' an 8 hour long galactic battlegrounds game yesterday, well, i spent about 3 hours setting up defense and researching, ended up with 4 advanced turrets in front of my base, and facing the enemy's base ,a fortress by the turrets, and 2 anti aircraft turrets and i had a shield encasing them, all this was in the front of my base. We left for the mall, and i left galactic battlegrounds on to see if the ai would come up with a way to defeat me. it didn't, all my turrets and fortress were still up, they slaughtered a couple of my nova workers cause they weren't in range of the turrets, none of my turrets took hull damage!! all they had to do to defeat my was come around the back of my base with artillery and mobile cannons, and i would've been defeated. I saved it and exited, saw i had been 'playing' for EIGHT hours!!! The max population i had it set on was 25. i don't go over the limit, cause it's too hard...

this is a good defensive strategy
 Chessack
01-09-2002, 3:09 PM
This make sense based on most of my experience against the computer: it finds you once, and having done so and drawn a path to get to you, it keeps going at the same points, kind of like a "battle of the bulge." I had thought that was hardwired in, but it must not be, because the other day, on a hoth map, I had the computer start attacking my northwest corner... when that repulsed his attack 3 or 4 times, he switched to the gate on my northeast corner. I was a bit surprised, but that corner was also well defended, and repulsed another couple of waves of assault (meanwhile, I had been in the midst of shattering the town of the other computer player, so I just let this one keep coming at me for the time being).

Then, even more surprisingly, after being repulsed there, the computer went all the way around and tried to attack me from the southeast, way around my walls (and being chewed up by a bank of towers in the process). Fairly dumb, since half his force was gone before he reached the point of attack, but it's about the most creative I've ever seen the computer be. Of course, by this time, my 8 AT-ATs filled with 60 or so Dark Troopers and Sith Knights, had forced his ally to surrender, and while his 20 or so remaning ragtag forces were attacking my southeast gate (and being stymied), my 68-unit assault regiment was attacking his town center....

Still and all, I was very surprised, as I had never seen any behavior like this out of the computer before. Perhaps they have programmed it to try different paths, but only after being stymied a certain number of times... and perhaps most of us whomp the computer long before it gets around to switching paths.
 Gaming Nut
01-09-2002, 4:23 PM
No I've tested it by leaving gaping holes in my D but having a huge mass of forrtesses and turrets where he firsted attacked I sat and wacthed TV an hour later after repeated beat down he was still coming I finally smashed him with the 40 assualt mech I had built.
 Kudar
01-09-2002, 4:34 PM
What difficulty are you guys playing on? I play on Hard and if I beat the computer down a couple of times while he tries attacking he always, always tries a different route.

The main problem with eht ecomputer that I have is that it doesnt use air transports to drop units, that would add a little more too it!
 Rogue15
01-09-2002, 4:57 PM
i play on moderate.
 Chessack
01-10-2002, 1:03 AM
I, too, play mostly on moderate. That's hard enough; I win about 3/5ths of the time, on that level. Since it's still a challenge, I haven't tried to move up yet. One day when I see my win ratio going up to 3/4ths or more, then perhaps I will "graduate" to Hard.
 BlakWraith
01-10-2002, 1:59 AM
aka SPQR_N3W_BL00D

Turrets especially AA are a must have in your game. AA turrets should be spread around your base overlapping in early to mid t3. Also building AA turrets while you advance helps so the enemy does not beat you back wiht air, u always have somewhere to hide from air. If t2 ruhs always build turrets on enemies recources if you do not your t2 rush will fail. I do not build regular turrets unless i t2 rush too amny units, mounties pummels, and cannons rip through them fast.

I must say i never wall unless its a map like rivers where crossings or somehting. But walling wiht houses good way to protect recources piles.

Hope this helps. May the force be wiht you gamers.
Page: 1 of 1