Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Very Nice

Page: 1 of 1
 murta
07-28-2001, 8:18 AM
Great job on the design, content and forums guys. I can see this one being very popular(unless the game bombs, which is looking very unlikely - hoo-ray)
Anyway, how many sites do you guys work on now? (I know Zero must have like 20)
 ZeroXcape
07-28-2001, 9:56 AM
Hey murta, thx for the comments.

Quick question, how do you like these forums? I'm basically in love with VBulletin now. I may possibly upgrade EscapeMI.com in the near future. There's a program that will import all our users and import all our posts. :trooper:
 murta
07-28-2001, 2:31 PM
Originally posted by ZeroXcape
Hey murta, thx for the comments.

Quick question, how do you like these forums? I'm basically in love with VBulletin now. I may possibly upgrade EscapeMI.com in the near future. There's a program that will import all our users and import all our posts. :trooper:

I think they're great, even better than the new UBB. Alot of the extra tools (like file attachments and the html controls really add to them). Maybe we could even make some custom MI smileys for it
 Young David
07-28-2001, 3:12 PM
Hi,

This is my first here on this board. And I want to be honest from the very start.

I'm not gonna kiss butt by saying I like the design of this boards. Why not? Because I don't like it. I was so happy that there was community for Battlegrounds like there is for aok.heavengames.com for Age of Kings and aom.heavengames.com for the upcoming Age of Mythology. But when I came here ... I was a bit dissapointed.

It looks awfull ... there I said it.

Technicly I like it. I like it that you can give your message an icon. I like it that I can add smileys with this cute menu to the left :) I just don't like the look. Just because Star Wars was an old movie doesn't have to mean a site about it has to be black and white (it isn't even that old ... it's shot in color).

And just because Battleground doesn't have a good logo doesn't have to mean you'll have to have an equally boring header for a Forum.

Just take a look at boards.theforce.net, the Forums of TheForce.Net. It has that nice header with all those Jedi masters and nice colored boards.

We're talking Battlegrounds here. One of the most wanted games. Which will be good to watch too. 6 totally different civs each with their own look and feel. It's based on the most diverse battles in the Star Wars timeline, battles on plains, snow, forrest, dessert, swamps, asteroids, space platforms will give you an even more diverse decor than Age of Kings did. And after a good game you come here and find out that you don't need that fancy color-monitor of yours, cause a black-and-white one will do just as fine.

Pfew ... did I type all this? Don't get me wrong. I'm not flaming anyone, I'm not gonna kiss butt. I appreciate it very much that there is a site like this (just bookmarked it ... I don't bookmark a lot) ... but I dу have the right to complain ... do I?

That said ...

End of Transmission. Young David out.
 Sherack Nhar
07-28-2001, 3:35 PM
Sure, you do have the right to complain... and you did it a constructive way.

The way I see it... in my opinion, the reason they chose a grey scale instead of flashy stuff is this:

- The Empire, a popular faction among the fan and representative of the war featured in GB, has always been represented using white and black. White stormtroopers, black Darth Vader, grey Death Star walls... George Lucas wanted to give a sense of coldness to the Empire. Here we represents the Empire well by using these colors.

- It looks more professional. Sure, we can have flashy images and look professional at the same time, but is it really worth the time?

- Loading times. 56k modem users will be glad to online have a small graphic logo at the top of the forum and some grey buttons to load.
 Rogue15
07-28-2001, 3:59 PM
these forums load super-fast and i'm impressed. I hate waiting an hour (well 1 minute actually) for a page to load unless it actually looks good and is worth waiting for.
 Tie Guy
07-28-2001, 9:37 PM
I personally like the grey and white, it different than any other board. I'm glad you posted that though, everything needs critics, and i certainly won't get mad at you for it.
 Evaders99
07-28-2001, 9:45 PM
too much white hurts my eyes, lol
at any rate, I like this - even better than UBB

just incredible

/me wonders if he can find a copy...
 Tie Guy
07-28-2001, 10:18 PM
Yeah, the interface is much more user-friendly than UBB.
 Young David
07-30-2001, 7:21 PM
It's getting more color ... :)
 Paragon_Leon
07-31-2001, 10:11 AM
I personally like the design. the only drawback is that you don't have all the smilies on one screen.

oh, and that you have to give an URL for the Avatar.
I would much prefer being able to upload one and be done with it.
I don't have a personal webpage where i can get it from.
 Tie Guy
07-31-2001, 12:22 PM
you can upload it.
 Lord JayVizIon
08-01-2001, 12:00 AM
i'm not too worried about what the interface here looks like. i think it's cool and it uploads reallll fast.
 Lord JayVizIon
08-01-2001, 12:01 AM
i'd rather worry more about the game than what the appearance of these message boards are.....
 Darth_Rommel
08-01-2001, 9:41 AM
He's got a point there ;)
 Paragon_Leon
08-02-2001, 12:17 PM
he does indeed.

and could someone tell me how to upload an avatar to this site if that's possible ?
 Paragon_Leon
08-02-2001, 12:38 PM
never mind, i just found out...
(silly me)
next time i'll look first, then ask questions
Page: 1 of 1