Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Determined to WIN!!!

Page: 1 of 1
 redjedi
12-17-2001, 11:08 AM
Okay, I have been playing this one scenario for over 11 combined hours and I'm committed to seeing it through. I could use some suggestions on how to win this epic battle. Here is the setup:

Difficulty: Moderate
Large Map, Forest
All Civs are beyond Tech 4 (obviously by now)
Civs: Empire, Trade, Gungans, Wookies

I started the game as the Empire teamed up with the Trade Federation. The Wookies and Gungans are teamed allyed against me.

The Trade Federation has been eliminated. I stand alone. :(

The good news is that for several hours, I have withstood every wave of attack from the Gungans and Wookies (air or land) and no enemy has so much as touched any unit inside my fort. All are destroyed outside the perimeter. I have a secondary fort in a remote area to continue carbon and food production. Both of those resources are in high stockpiles (like over 20,000). Ore and Nova are scarce.

While I'm talking about nova, one quick query: ALL nova and ore resources have been mined across the map by the civs, including me. Yet in the last couple of hours, nova started steadily rising in one unit increments (about 50/minute) for no apparent reason. At one point, I was over 1200 and still climbing before I used some. It's still going up. Has anyone else experienced this and, if so, any idea why this is happening?

Anyway, I've held my own against the Wookie/Gungan attacks, but I am finding it very difficult to make any headway in taking any serious fight to them. I'm concentrating on taking out the Gungans right now. I even spent an hour carving a narrow path through the forest with artillery to tunnel a different attack route to the Gungan Fort, right behind their housing complexes. I did take those out. My next thought is maybe to use a Sith Master to try converting a Gungan Fortress or something. How long does it take to convert something and what is the level of difficulty in doing so?

I guess I figure that if I keep whittling away at them, their ore should be almost depleted and they won't be able to rebuild key structures. But this could take a while. Any other suggestions?
 Funboy Deluxe
12-17-2001, 11:22 AM
If you got sicko amounts of food and carbon, sell it off at the spaceport for nova. I never played the game vs computer put general principles of pummel dropping, jedi master dropping/converting and concentration of troops is in order.

Wookees: pack out the dark troopers, food/carbon only and effective v infantry.

Gungans: I assume they are using mechs, food/carbon mech destroyers.

Or just build a pile of AT-AT's and kill everyone
 redjedi
12-17-2001, 11:29 AM
Yea, the Dark Troopers and Mechs I figured out for myself. That is how I have been effectively winning against their attack waves.

As for AT ATs, I must say I have been a little dissappointed. They have great firepower, but they don't seem to last long in a serious battle, and I have all the upgrades. As expensive as they are, I don't get a great return on them.

Hmmm, I'll try the Nova barter thing. I remember thinking about that and looking at the SpacePort but I don't recall seeing an option to trade anything for Nova. I'll look again though. If I can do that, maybe I'll try creating like 15-20 AT ATs and see how that will do. At the minimum, it will probably scare the Gungan crap out of them. :D

How long does it take a Sith Master to convert something? Does it happen immediately if it succeeds? I need to know so I can plan how I will get him in there to convert while I distract their armies on another side of their fort.
 Kudar
12-17-2001, 11:31 AM
Use a group of sith Masters -preferably cloaked, transport them to where you want them drop them and order them to convert whatever shouldn't take to long in a group
 redjedi
12-17-2001, 11:41 AM
Okay, sounds like a plan.

I guess to cloak, I just select them and an option should pop up to "cloak". Then I'll send them in through my back door a tunnelled.

Now, just curious, as I have yet to convert anything before. If I convert, say, a fortress, what happens to that building? Does it allow me to create "Gungan" forces that are under my control, or does it transform itself into what my fortress looks like and I can use it to attack? If it is the latter, I assume the Gungans will start attacking it immediately.
 Kudar
12-17-2001, 11:55 AM
you'll need to research stealth in the sith temple

and no you can't get gungan technology from converting the buildings, though it should produce darktroopers, any gungun unit you convert is your -u just don't get the upgrades and techs like they would - you get it "as is"

keep them away from sentry posts so they won't be seen - I believe that a Fortress can see them though, and as soon as they start turning stuff they can be seen, once they are done, if you get the fortress converted, garrison them inside it to give them time to regenerate, then send them out to convert some other stuff :D
 Funboy Deluxe
12-17-2001, 12:01 PM
Stealth = Jedi/Sith Mind Trick

To heal your lads maybe Bacta tanks at the command centre is a good idea
 DarthNoodles
12-17-2001, 10:37 PM
...cant happen.

There are only a coupel of building that can't be converted and Fortresses are one of them. I think Command Centers are the other one.

What I'd do:
Drop 5-10 pummels, 10 Jedi, 5 mech destroyers and 5-10 Darktroopers.

Pummels will toast any building. Jedi will smoke workers, troopers and Mechs. The Mech Destroyers will handle mech threats to your pummels and the DarkTroopers will alos help protect the pummels and Jedi.

The only other thing I'd do is bring some cannons outside of his base and pound it from there.

happy hunting.
 SirBlack
12-17-2001, 10:42 PM
As I recall you can't convert Fortresses, though I'm not sure as I rarely convert anything. But to kill the comps, just build a large army with a good mix of units and march on in... I'd recommend 15+ Repeater Troopers for random destruction, 10+ Strike Mechs to take out infantry and mounties, 20+ Mech Destroyers to wipe out all things mechanized, 5 to 10 AA Mechs depending on how much the comps use air, 10+ Bounty Hunters to slaughter any Jedi, maybe 15 or so Fighters (sometimes they're useful for support), and finally a large group of building killers personally I prefer 10 to 15 Pummels (they'll kill buildings fast enough and they're hard to destroy).

Btw, you're Nova increases like that when you have Holocrons in your Jedi Temple.
 redjedi
12-18-2001, 9:28 AM
Btw, you're Nova increases like that when you have Holocrons in your Jedi Temple.

Ahhh, that makes sense. I assume if you have more holocrons, the nova production increases.

WAR UPDATE:

The war is over 15 hours now and the Gungans are beginning to suffer for their defiance.

After cutting my workforce to absolute minimums, I constructed several waves of 40+ Strike Mechs and Destroyer Mechs and took them through my carved out "backdoor". During those waves, I seriously crippled their production capabilities by taking out Power Cores and Shelters. In addition, I targeted their Anti-Air Turrets to prepare for my next stage of attack.

After bartering for more Nova Crystals, it was time for an Air Assault. Although the Empire's air offense is not very good, a 30+ mixture of Bombers and Ties can still do a lot of damage before being taken out.

With just a few Command Centers left and one Fortress (they must have constructed about ten Command Centers) and most of their weapon and troop capabilities gone, their time is running out. I'm preparing one more air raid for the fortress. Once it is gone, I will construct about ten AT ATs and some Dark Troopers to try to wipe out the rest.

The Wookies keep trying to assist their Gungan allies when they can while still mounting raids on my inpenetrable fort. Their efforts have not gained too much ground other than being an untimely annoyance when they happen to form a marching army into the Gungan camp when I'm trying to clear things out. But my attention will soon turn to those "walking carpets". If you hear a desperate howling in the next few days from over cyberspace, that will be the sound of hundreds of wookies running for their lives.

(... is it possible I have been involved in this scenario a little too long?)
 Heavyarms
12-18-2001, 11:21 AM
Here is an idea: Attack from 3 fronts, 30 troops each. use 5 pummels, 3-4 jedi, 10 mech destroyers, 5 anti air, 10 dark troopers, and 2 cannons, possibly a at-at. maybe a couple of TIEs as protectors. make about 15 transports, put these troops in it, and blitz em.

You will need to seperate their forces to win.
 redjedi
12-18-2001, 2:06 PM
God, I don't know if I could effectively control so many different units. However, I may try something like that when I attack the Wookies.

For now, I have no need for Anti-Air or Jedi against the Gungans. They just have a few sparce forces left and a couple of turrets. Once the Fortress is gone, their end will come quickly. The game is set to a maximum of 75 units, so I only have about 45 budgeted for attack. The rest help protect my fort and a few workers still gathering food and carbon.
 Chessack
12-18-2001, 2:51 PM
Originally posted by redjedi

(snip)

The game is set to a maximum of 75 units, so I only have about 45 budgeted for attack. The rest help protect my fort and a few workers still gathering food and carbon.

Odd that a game with such a low population limit lasts so long. My experience is that the game lasts longer as the population goes up. Old style AoE with 50 per population, usually you can finish in about 90 minutes, even taking things slowly (at least against the computer). AoK I played mostly on an older laptop, so I kept the pops at 75 to keep it from having seizures, and those took about 2 hours. Playing 150 pop. caps (which is what I usually play) can take 3 hours or more (since I am a defensive player and never do an early rush). I can imagine 200 would take me 5 hours... But it's surprising with a cap of 75 that your game has taken so very long.

It sounds like you've got him where you want him, though, so you should be able to win now with little problem.
 redjedi
12-18-2001, 3:58 PM
Just to clarify, I started out with a computer ally (Trade Federation) and we teamed up against the Gungans and Wookies. The Federation folded after about 4 hours (those wusses) to the Wookies. So I was left alone to face two fully populated Tech 4 Civs on my own. I played a one-on-one on a moderate setting before that only took about 4 hours.

I had considered quitting when the Fe3deration was defeated, figuring there was no way I could overcome two Civs against one, but after successfully defending my base well, and constructing a couple of sub-bases in remote areas, that is when I decided that I was "Determined to Win!" (as this thread is called).

My plan was to eliminate the Gungans first, since they seemed a little weaker. It has taken over ten hours to bring them to near extinction while fending off their attacks on my base as well as repeated Wookie troop and air assaults.

Curious, has anyone else fought against odds like this before and experienced a very long campaign?
 Chessack
12-18-2001, 4:10 PM
I think my AoK record one time was about 5 hours, but it was a very, very long game...

Depending on your settings... any chance you could win by just building a monument? Might be easier (and quicker) if you are well defended.

On the other hand, defeating those pesky opponents will be quite satisfying. Brav-o for sticking with it and showing the computer who's boss. ;)

May the Force be with you.
 redjedi
12-19-2001, 9:21 AM
War Update:

Those pesky Gungans. They don't know when to quit!!! I have a new #1 irritant in my life that I can't stand to look at: A Gungan worker. Those little guys keep sneaking around and putting up a Power Core and a Troop Center in some area nearby before I can see what they are doing. So here I am, bombing away some Gungan buildings and some Anti-Air Troopers walk up.

Well, at least those little buggers have a fixed population now. ALL the Command Centers have been destroyed and the Fortress went down yesterday as well (took five AT ATs). My final wave will be an army of Dark Troopers protected by a good number of Anti-Air Troops (the Wookies send an air assault occassionally to help their Gungan allies). I will search and destroy all remaining ground personnel in their fort so they don't cause anymore problems when I turn my attention to those "walking carpets".

On the homefront, I was sad to see that while I was intently engaged in assaults on key targets on the Gungans, Wookie and Gungan terrorists with long range artillery was able to bomb two of my fortresses and a shield generator that I had placed just inside my walls. The wall is still intact and I have one more fortress remaining, but my defenses along the southwestern zone have been severely crippled and will not stand up well against a well coordinated Wookie ground strike.

My generals have advised me of a plan that may help. When the Gungan threat has been erradicated, I will send a small contingent of workers to build walls across the only four narrow passageways that a Wookie ground army could travel to get to my side of the map. That should provide me enough time to focus on my offensive plans without being too worried about a ground assault against my fort. My base is well fortified against an air assault.

The war is appraoching its 18th hour and my forces are growing fatigued, but their determination is still strong.

And to answer your question, the only factor in winning is to get the enemy to "resign". So it is to the death.
 Heavyarms
12-19-2001, 11:10 AM
do this: attack the wookies with EVERYTHING! Pummel those wookies with as much weaponry as you can! Land 10 pummels in his base, have troops surround them.use bombers on their cores.
 redjedi
12-19-2001, 11:51 AM
Okay, but don't say it too loud, the Wookie spies are everywhere.
 Heavyarms
12-19-2001, 1:21 PM
hots head on table*
 Chessack
12-19-2001, 1:23 PM
The gungans sound finished. Power cores, houses, and carbon centers are not going to save them. I'd send the main attack force to go after the wookiees, following, if possible, the path they are taking to approach you. Start from your own base, and work your way back, smashing their expeditionary forces as you encounter them. Meanwhile, assign a few TIE fighters to scout for the remnants of the gungans and just keep killing off their workers every time you see any. Even if the gungans somehow managed to build a few military buildings, all they'll be able to do is build a few troops -- not enough against your walls, towers, and defensive forces, to be a real threat. And without them to help, the Wookiees will soon share the Gungans' fate.
 redjedi
12-19-2001, 3:36 PM
Funny, that is what the world thought about that little bashed up country just east of France after World War I, then they built themselves up again and came and challenged the world again in another war.

I will not dishonor the thousands of fallen Empire soldiers that have given their lives against those Squibbies. I must first erradicate their whole polluted existence before I move on to my next target.

By the way, if anyone knows a good shrink, I'll probably need one when this war is over. :D
 redjedi
12-20-2001, 7:59 AM
War Update:

After pleaing to the Wookie Council, the Gungans have requested a cease fire to give them a chance to negotiate a surrender to Imperial forces. The Wookies have agreed to stop for now and there were no incidents last night.

Since everything was on hold while the diplomats debated, I went to see The Lord of the Rings, which was an exceptional film. I've never read the books, but I have to believe that this movie probably has done one of the best jobs in translating such a classic story to the big screen.

When I returned, I got reports from sources that stated the Wookies were only biding their time to build up a massive strike against my southwest border which is still vulnerable. I've ordered reconaissance to verify the reports and have immediately started construction to shore up those weakened areas of my defense. If the Wookies do attack during the cease fire, I will immediately wipe out those Gungans for their treachery in this ruse and then search and destroy every furball I see...
 Abeex
12-24-2001, 3:21 AM
lol very nice read. ill be waiting on the eastern front for updates on your battle *salutes ....

forgive me as i join this insanity.
 redjedi
12-26-2001, 9:43 AM
War Update:

Forgive the lateness of this report. Several dispatchers were captured crossing Gungan territory. Obviously, a few Gungan extremists are still abound and did not like the cease fire.

I bring great news. At just shy of 20 hours, the Gungan/Wookie Alliance has been defeated. The Wookies violated the cease fire only two days into negotiations. Our scouts found a strike force crossing the old Trade Federation stomping grounds to the north and our Imperial forces wiped them out before they could cause any damage to our homeland.

As a response to their treachery, the Empire launched one more assault on the Gungans and they were forced to surrender.

Afterwards, two massive strikes consisting of Anti-Air Troops, Destroyer Mechs, Dark Troopers, AT ATs, Grenadiers, Pummels, and Storm Troopers marched into the Wookie fort and wiped out everything in our path. Once their Air Force was eliminated, their troops were no match for the combined firepower of our mechs and troopers.

So the long war is over. The Empire looks forward to order and prosperity again.
 Natopo
01-06-2002, 9:28 PM
Bothan Spynet would've been enough to get a good force up. You'd know where they were and you could sneek in at the right place.
 Kudar
01-10-2002, 4:58 AM
20 Hours!! :o

What difficulty setting was that on?
 Chessack
01-10-2002, 12:08 PM
If I remember right, this was a 2-on-2 game, him and 1 computer vs. 2 comps, and his comp ally got wiped out early on (in the first hour or so). That left him playing a 2-on-1 situation against the computer for most of the game.

Great job winning! If my computer ally gets wiped out in the first hour or so, unless I'm really kicking some butt myself, I usually just resign a 2-on-2 game and go on to another one. I might win, but it probably isn't worth the effort, and I'm not really interested in playing a 20 hour game...

Though it sounds like he had a lot of fun with it, and heck, that's the whole point. :)
Page: 1 of 1