Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

First 10 minutes

Page: 1 of 1
 Funboy Deluxe
12-13-2001, 7:45 AM
Ok i thought i would start a thread that would give ppl a chance to explain the most efficient way to start off a game. Also what order do you build your buildings?

For me, with the first 3 workers i send 2 to carbon and 1 to build a house, and the 3 following workers builda food processing centre and either hunt nearby live stock or start farming. I like to get 5 farms going asap. i usually want to hit tech 2 with a power core troop centre and food carbon and possibly nova crystal centre up and running. I like the crystals coz you need them to build your first jedi to go holocron hunting. Tech 2 jedi temple/war centre and then mech factory. Maybe i place too much emphasis on early holocrons. I dunno

Anyway, tell me what u people think.
 duder
12-13-2001, 8:06 AM
itry not to make farms until i get to tech 2 or preferably tech 3 if there is enuff food around, it saves an awful lot of carbon, and by tht atimne the upgrades make farms far more productive.
 captain_drake
12-14-2001, 9:08 AM
i make at least one farm for a good food supply

but wait until tech 2 or 3 to start mass producing farms
 Supreme Warlord
12-14-2001, 11:03 AM
First I carry to workers to find some food bush and then build a food processer. I take my third one to a collection of trees and build a carbon Processer. I am building my fourth worker and then send him to build a house. THen I start cranking out workers. My fourth workers will make about 24 more houses. I send those additional workers to mass produce farms, mine carbon, mine ore, or mine nova. THen I will build the building to mass produce my army and attack!!!!!:D
 blue_myriddn
12-14-2001, 1:22 PM
Depends on the amount of "free food" available. Free food = anything but farms.

If there are nefs (or their equivalent), I start to eat them first off. Putting 1-3 droids per nerf. I generally get my first 6-7 droids on nerfs and then grab the trees around me.

If it is a high food map, I can keep living off of nerfs and thus drop a wood processing center by the best looking nearby forest (placing it to the rear of my base when possible so that the enemy has the hardest time reaching it).

If it is a lower food map, I will go with a food processing center near the best food source. Whether it be eopies (or their equivalent) or shore fish is map dependant. Then I start sending droids to the trees surrounding my command center until they have enough carbon to head to a "forest".

I wouldn't recomend farming early unless you have no other option. The wildlife is there to eat not look at :P

I also wouldn't recomend getting carbon before food either. Food = worker droids = more resources = a better army = your opponent getting his butt kicked!

Happy gaming all!
 MrFan
12-14-2001, 2:52 PM
I'm not sold on the idea that sacrificing nerfs/banthas early is a better option over putting them immediately into a nursury.

Assuming that there is a herd of at least 6 and there is also another option or two for food (other weaker animals, fish or fruit), it seems to me that housing the "herd" animals gives you a constant source of food without worker intervention (freeing those workers to either gather food from other sources or collecting carbon) and provides one structure needed for TL 2. It seems to me that the three level 1 buildings needed for TL 2 are food processing center, Carbon processing center, and nursury. All of those are immediately paying dividends while nova and ore go relatively unused this early in the game.

Additionally, it isn't difficult to incorporate the nursury under the range of the first power core which is always wanted early on.

Thoughts?
 Chessack
12-14-2001, 4:34 PM
Originally posted by MrFan
I'm not sold on the idea that sacrificing nerfs/banthas early is a better option over putting them immediately into a nursury.

Assuming that there is a herd of at least 6 and there is also another option or two for food (other weaker animals, fish or fruit), it seems to me that housing the "herd" animals gives you a constant source of food without worker intervention (freeing those workers to either gather food from other sources or collecting carbon) and provides one structure needed for TL 2. It seems to me that the three level 1 buildings needed for TL 2 are food processing center, Carbon processing center, and nursury. All of those are immediately paying dividends while nova and ore go relatively unused this early in the game.

Additionally, it isn't difficult to incorporate the nursury under the range of the first power core which is always wanted early on.

Thoughts?

I agree with all this but the nova and ore not being worth it. While I agree they pay only future dividends, not current ones, I always have 1 worker on ore and 1 on nova before I start the tech 2 upgrade. Then as soon as tech 2 arrives, I immediately build a worker to go and start making walls and turrets. Many, many times (at least against the computer) a couple of turrets and a nice sturdy wall has saved my hash from a nasty early-stage rush. It slows him down substantially, and his units will have a really hard time taking down a tower in their early-stage weakened state. Even if those towers eventually collapse (a rare event), by the time he gets through, you can have a bunch more troopers built to finish his rush off.

I tend to be obsessive about ore. It's the resource in the shortest supply, and the one you need to build walls and turrets -- and A-A. You also need it to bulid things like shield generators later on. So I get started on ore early, knowing that it will pay off massive dividends at the end. There's nothing worse than having to stop building when you're wall's halfway completed, because you're out of ore.

The nova, too, is worth it, because I almost always build a Jedi Temple ASAP and go off to grab the nearest holocron. I don't kill myself looking for every holocron in the game (I know the AI will multitask, therefore covering much more of the map than I can, and finding more of the holocrons). But I do try to get at least one, so the computer can't easily beat me by collecting them all and then holding them to start a count down before we even get to age 4. ;)

May the Force be with you.
Page: 1 of 1