Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Newbie help - Tech Level 4

Page: 1 of 1
 roastbeast
12-11-2001, 9:08 AM
Hi,

I'm still pretty new to the game (I'm on the 3rd Trade Federation campaign mission) but can't figure out what I need to do in my missions to advance to Tech Level 4. When I click on my Command Center it doesn't even show up (the other Tech levels had a button, and would tell me if I didn't have enough ore or whatever), nor can I find anything about it in the manual. Is there a special building I need to build or something before Tech Level 4 becomes an option?

Also I think I should have the Sith Temple option at Tech Level 2, but that doesn't show up either.

Thanks for any advice!
 Supreme Warlord
12-11-2001, 9:58 AM
It is a campagin mission and so you cant go to Tech 4 in this mission and Jedi are not in this. So if you cant do it then that mean it wont let you because it wants you to be within the storyline. Hope this helps ya. oh yeah if you play a standard game then you can do everything.
 Heavyarms
12-11-2001, 1:38 PM
He's right. It has been disabled by the makers of the game, so there is no way to access it unless you play a Random map game.
 Chessack
12-14-2001, 4:14 PM
Originally posted by WC_heavyarms
He's right. It has been disabled by the makers of the game, so there is no way to access it unless you play a Random map game.

I find this to be, depending on what mood I am in, both an advantage and a disadvantage of the campaigns. The advantage is, it throws me off my normal "stride." If I'm used to going after the other guy with a certain set of units, a "recipe" for success, as it were, and the campaign won't allow the building or the age I need to do that, it forces me to work around it and find a new way. And that can teach you some new, really interesting, strategies. For instance, I had never tried the so-called "Drop-n-spank" strategy (by the way, whoever made up that name, I love it! I laugh out loud whenever I think of it) until misison #3 of the TF campaign (which is as far as I've gotten so far, since I tend to prefer random maps). But because they have poor air power, and because you can't get to Age 4, and they don't have any sith power in the scenario, I couldn't use some of my "normal" M.O.'s. So I thought, "Hmm.. why not try Drop-n-Spank?" And it worked well... took out two different civs with it.

I then played a random map game with the empire, and tried drop-n-spank there, and it worked well there too (though by that point, my AT-ATs and Sith Masters were ready to kick his butt anyway...). So now drop-n-spank, while not something I will use all the time (or perhaps even often) is a part of my arsenal -- all because the campaign forced me to think outside the normal box I use in GB strategy.

On the other hand, the DISadvantage is, sometimes you do something a certain way because it is efficient. You get used to doing it, and you like doing it... and it can be annoying, even if it is beneficial on one level as described above, to have to do something at a snail's pace when you could've been ragging on the computer's arse with much more powerful units, if only you could've played your own game...

So, as I say, it depends on my mood. Last night I was not in a drop-n-spank mood, so being limited to doing that to win a scenario would have annoyed me. Other nights, I would've preferred it.

May the Force be with you.
Page: 1 of 1