Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

I can't control it

Page: 1 of 1
 darthmarc
12-09-2001, 9:49 PM
I am really enjoying this game..all the units are amazing. I justam having trouble (and i don't know if anybody else is having this problem ). I create like 100+ units and then whne i send them to attack..i can't control or know what exactly to do. I mean..i click on units or a group of units and click on a structure or enemy and before i know it..all my guys are killed. Should i make groups of mixed units or all the same?

Help..

Also, is there a link to a page where they discuss this.?

:atat:
 Supreme Warlord
12-10-2001, 9:50 AM
Always MIX units in!!! Also One attack to finish off a computer is VERY Rare. It takes several attack waves and so that is why we all favor of having a forward base where we can produce more units to attack them. It wont take forever for your fresh army from your main base to march over to the enemy when the enemy has time to build defense and men before your second waves comes but with your forward base they dont have time. hope this helps you:)
 Zendjir
12-10-2001, 10:20 AM
Are such attacks rare with the campaigns too? It usually takes me only two (occasionally 1)attacks to finish a computer opponent off there.

I use these strat. when attacking a computer base (in the campaigns):
10 strike mechs
5 mech destroyers
5 AA troopers
3 pummels
1 transport ship to transport the pummels

-Fully upgraded-

Then slowly push forward. micromanage like hell. place all units (except the pummels) in the stand ground stance, the strike M in front of the mech destroyers and then the AA troopers. (and keep them together)
Advance only when there are little or no enemys in sight.
Only attack building with pummels, and attack anything directly that attacks your pummels. Retreat if our pummels are destroyed.
 captain_drake
12-10-2001, 10:30 AM
yeah warlords right the frist one just cracks the defanse you can't win on just one attack

for me i let the allies attack and suffer loses and inflict as much damgae befor i go in to finsh them off

i'm som bad :angel:
 Chessack
12-14-2001, 4:44 PM
Originally posted by Supreme Warlord
Always MIX units in!!! Also One attack to finish off a computer is VERY Rare. It takes several attack waves and so that is why we all favor of having a forward base where we can produce more units to attack them. It wont take forever for your fresh army from your main base to march over to the enemy when the enemy has time to build defense and men before your second waves comes but with your forward base they dont have time. hope this helps you:)

Actually, the game manual recommends grouping similar units under the same ctrl-#, and I agree to an extent. I usually group similar (not necessarily identical) units. So I might group all mechs as one group, all troopers as another, and all fighters as another.

However, I usually send them out together. So, I might have 5 AT-ATs, 15 strike/destroyer mechs, 10 Sith Knights, 20 Fighters, and 10 bombers, each separately grouped under different ctrl-#'s, but then I drag around all the ground units, click on the square formation, and send them down the map as a large mass. This puts the vulnerable units in the middle, and keeps them "together." Once we get into massive combat, I then try to micro-manage, and make sure each #'ed group is attacking one, specific target, chosen by me.

Also, I find that, because I am very defensive, if I let the computer come at me with wave after useless wave and keep beating it back with some forces, that by the time I build my nasty 50 or 60 unit invasion force, I often can beat him in one fell swoop. I might need to reinforce the invaders from time to time, but it's very rare that the computer can repulse my entire attack at the end of the game. It's designed to break his back for good and all -- and it usually does just that. But then, I am much more "conservative" than most -- I never rush and I never waste units. At the end of one game, my computer ally had killed 540 or so units, but lost 520 (so it was still at +20, but ugh, what a waste!). I had only killed 400 units... but I had lost about 30. Which means I was at +370.

So, some people go for attrition, sending wave after wave of weaker unit at the enemy to disrupt his operations. I, instead, prefer to let him go about his business unhindered, trusting that in the long run, my obsession with solid, impregnable static defenses (walls, towers, AA turrets), will force him to waste tons of resources uselessly, and that will lead to me having better research upgrades and development, and therefore better units... and therefore, ultimately, an invincible force to smack him with.

YMMV.

May the Force be with you.
 Gungan_Reble
12-15-2001, 6:39 AM
Chessack is right that is the way to do it have your
forces grouped in mixed units under the Ctrl key's
and you will find the army is easy to manoeuvre
and your attacks are more coordinated ;)
 Heavyarms
12-16-2001, 8:07 AM
I only use squadding (chessack said) when I have lots of one type of unit. I rarely use it, though.
 Mike DF
12-17-2001, 7:34 AM
I use the same gneral strategy as Chessak, with a few differences. One is that I usually include some workers to repair my machines in the field, either following behind, or transported in Destroyer & Assaults. Two is that I include a separate unit of, depending on which army I use, a dozen bounty hunters plus several medics, Dark Troopers, or Droidekas.

I'll move this unit forward, with the 'Mechs covering them, then the 'Mechs, while they cover. They just keep leapfrogging, without being defenseless while on the move. They also act well in the capacity of wasting all the mounted troopers and Jedi (especially if you use bounty hunters) that the computer'll toss at your 'Mechs. And mounted troopers or Jedi will eat your 'Mechs alive if they can close.

And if you have the spare room in your population cap, stick men in your turrets. They'll spray out four beams at a time instead of one if full, allowing them to quickly eat nearly any attack force sent at them alive. It doesn't even matter what kind, so long as it's a warm body. I'll often use anti-air troops, to stay in the tower and shoot up ground forces, or to come out and kill planes the tower can't hurt. Plus one tower plus five troops shooting four beams is a heck of a lot cheaper than the mass of towers required to spray out the same firepower.
 SirBlack
12-17-2001, 9:59 PM
Actually, the extra firepower you get from garrisoning troops inside a Turret or Fortress isn't at the same strength as that building's original shot. I conducted a short test with the demo a while ago. A Medium Turret would normally cause 15 damage to a Heavy Mounted Trooper with one shot, but each extra shot would only give out 2 damage. I'm not sure if this had been tweaked any in the full version but I'm sure it's similar. But even so, it is still a good idea to put troops in Turrets or Fortresses if you need stronger ground defenses.

As for grouping units... I usually use groups of the same type, or if not that, then I group by similar purpose. Strike Mechs and/or Dark Troopers go in one group so I can quickly take out pesky infantry. Mech Destroyers go in another group to eliminate all mechanized defenders. Bounty Hunters go in a third group and stay back a little bit so a smart opponent can't kill them but I can still protect my units in front from Jedi. AA Troopers and AA Mechs go in another group. And so on with the rest of my army.
Page: 1 of 1