Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

WorldofMI forums

Page: 1 of 1
 raVen_image
12-06-2001, 4:36 PM
Does anyone know whether Dalixam's forums at worldofmi will be included into the new lucasForums collective?
 Haggis
12-06-2001, 4:38 PM
I don't know, but I just wanted to say I miss the WMI forums! And I haven't seen you for a loooooooong time, raVen.
 raVen_image
12-06-2001, 4:44 PM
Haggis ...my search-guru, you old sea-hound! Good to "see" you too. Wow, that was a quick response ...like instant messaging or something.

I sent Dalixam an e-mail asking about lucasForums, but haven't heard from him yet. He's probably busy getting ready for worldofmi's triumphant return. It shouldn't be long now.

I've been a fish out of water without them. Glad you didn't give up. I fear that some of our members might have. I am looking forward to seeing you again, there.
 Metallus
12-06-2001, 5:28 PM
Raven, I heard there's something big planned for the MI forums. I actually don't have a lot of details about it at this point, but I think it involves WoMI. It'd be great to have everyone from all MI communities here, without a horrible amount of redundancy (i.e., I hope there doesn't end up being 5 separate Monkey Island boards at LF.com).
 Gabez
12-06-2001, 5:56 PM
Big things are afoot. Or something.
 Dalixam
12-06-2001, 7:02 PM
Originally posted by raVen_image
Does anyone know whether Dalixam's forums at worldofmi will be included into the new lucasForums collective?

I'm not sure yet. There are a lot of things to consider and there may also be compatebility issues because I use another forum than vBulletin. However, the staff responsible at Mojo will look into if the databases can work together :)

There is also the MI project brewing to consider... :D
 Metallus
12-06-2001, 7:06 PM
Were WoMI forums UBB? I think they've got a converter for it.
 Dalixam
12-06-2001, 7:08 PM
Originally posted by Metallus
Were WoMI forums UBB? I think they've got a converter for it.

NO! (eew :) ) I use phpbb, which are much faster and more reliable than UBB.
 Jake
12-06-2001, 7:17 PM
I'm pretty sure that format can be converted... Though I could be wrong.

What forum software did EscapeMI.com use?
 Metallus
12-06-2001, 7:51 PM
Escapemi used UBB, as did the majority of LucasGames boards. But if the WoMI boards were PHP-based, there shouldn't be too much of a problem converting them.
 benjoyce
12-07-2001, 6:33 AM
And is that the Coming soon... Thing? Gabez? are you here?

raVen_iamge, it is a fortunatre thing to see you here, I have been looking for you from time to time, it makes me feel wonderful when we can chit-chat together, why not organizing something chatty?Wow, that was a quick response ...like instant messaging or something. And it doesn't matter. "I'd be happy to see you whenever you return"
 Ryback
12-07-2001, 7:57 AM
The World of Monkey Island forums were something special, and I'd hate to see them subsumed into a tiny cog in a monolithic LucasArts webforum megacomplex. Besides, all these graphics make me nervous.

And sort of on that topic, would we still have our old postcounts?
 Lemon Head
12-07-2001, 7:59 AM
no you wouldn't but maybe, if you were extra specially nice (and had proof of the post count) we might add em on for you
 Haggis
12-07-2001, 9:37 AM
Originally posted by Ryback
The World of Monkey Island forums were something special, and I'd hate to see them subsumed into a tiny cog in a monolithic LucasArts webforum megacomplex. Besides, all these graphics make me nervous.

I couldn't agree more. The WMI forums are a small resource for exchanging thoughts about almost anything. The sheer simplicity of it makes me cry... (in a positive way). I don't think you will see the long WMI-type posts here... this is just too 'open', if you know what I mean.
 Dalixam
12-07-2001, 9:39 AM
The World of Monkey Island forums were something special, and I'd hate to see them subsumed into a tiny cog in a monolithic LucasArts webforum megacomplex.

That has been my main concern as well, so it's nice to hear that the users feel the same way. I was almost sure I "had" to join if I didn't want the WMI forums to die, but after hearing your comments I am not so sure. I will have a poll about in on my site when possible. That way, the users can decide.

Good idea?
 Haggis
12-07-2001, 9:44 AM
Yes, letting the users decide is a very good idea. And I know what I will vote. ;)
 Junaid
12-07-2001, 11:25 AM
Hi guys!
I'm back too, and i'm just dropped by to say that i can't wait til the WMIForums are open :D

I LOVE YOU AL!!!!
PEACE!!!
 raVen_image
12-07-2001, 12:53 PM
Ahoy benjoyce...

Good to see you, Junaid...

The World of Monkey Island forums were something special, and I'd hate to see them subsumed into a tiny cog in a monolithic LucasArts webforum megacomplex.
I agree. There is this quote that keeps running through my head as I witness this new conglomeration:
"The last remnants of the old republic have been swept away."

This is, of course, a knee-jerk reaction, but I can't help making that parallel. But, there are some nice features...

Besides, all these graphics make me nervous...
...under your options, you can turn off the graphics of other posts and set the amount of postings per page. I certainly have the signitures and avatars turned off so that the page loads quicker. Good feature, that.

Dalixam: I approve of the vote idea, and am ever impressed with your wonderful style of including your members in this process. You are the best administrator, ever.

Like Haggis, I know how I will vote

APPENDMENT: However, I don't want to inadvertantly kill worldofmi forums with my petty fears. It's important to remember that if Dalixam does not join, the traffic may fall away and it would only be us 5 that post there. And a great MI site might never get seen. This is all heady stuff.

"Fear will keep the local systems in line". It may be the best choice to join. If the alternative is the death of worldofmi ...I would feel terrible for voting against our assimilation into the collective. I fear to join ...yet I fear the potential outcome of not joining. I need to really think before I vote.

Gads ...I don't know.
 Metallus
12-07-2001, 4:28 PM
Not that I have any real say in this, but I can tell that your concerns are genuine. Perhaps its best if the WoMI forums are kept separate if many of the regulars there are concerned to the same degree as those who have spoken already. I still hope you guys stop by here on occasion though.
 Lemon Head
12-07-2001, 4:49 PM
i dont see why the WoMI forum should become less than it's normal self, after all, one place is as good as another, the people who would post on it in its usual place would still post there if it happened to be on a site about pork pies - it's just an addy change.

in fact it would probably recieve greater popularity from being exposed to a new set of like-minded people
 Ryback
12-07-2001, 6:16 PM
APPENDMENT: However, I don't want to inadvertantly kill worldofmi forums with my petty fears. It's important to remember that if Dalixam does not join, the traffic may fall away and it would only be us 5 that post there. And a great MI site might never get seen. This is all heady stuff.

"Fear will keep the local systems in line". It may be the best choice to join. If the alternative is the death of worldofmi ...I would feel terrible for voting against our assimilation into the collective. I fear to join ...yet I fear the potential outcome of not joining. I need to really think before I vote.

Gads ...I don't know. [/B]

I'm not sure either. I wouldn't want to sound like I'm complaining about these new forums... probably in six months we'll be wondering how we ever got by without them. On the other hand, Mixnmojo hosts a lot of small sites with their own forums, which did quite fine before. If you add WoMI, you've got to add MILegend, and I think Monkeycenter, and probably some other Monkey Island-themed site, and in terms of sheer postcounts they couldn't compete with EscapeMI even if you found them at the same place.

Basically all I'd like to see is a webforum linked off the main WMI page, with most of the old regulars, and the forum organized much as it was before. Where it's hosted wouldn't matter so much, although I'd hate to see brushboy go...

Now, where's murry84? He could solve this dilemma in less than thirty seconds...
 raVen_image
12-07-2001, 9:16 PM
Originally posted by Metallus
... I still hope you guys stop by here on occasion though.
Oh, for sure :)

Putting my concerns aside, there are advantages to this merging. I have been introduced to message-boards that I might never have seen, otherwise. How they may feel about a newbie that begins with 250+ posts is another matter, but I have not been treated like an intruder, yet.

Most of the new features are lost on an "old-school" poster, like myself, but there are many nice "bells and whistles" included with the vB boards for the younger crowd to enjoy. I can certainly see the appeal.

Though my user-name has not, nor ever will change ...having a single password is convenient.

Whatever Dalixam decides is A-Ok with me. Either way, I will continue to visit the LucasForums. It's not a bad place, after all... just takes getting used to. :)
 Metallus
12-07-2001, 9:27 PM
Yeah, I agree. The benefits of LucasForums will become more aparent once the overall chaos and members' list conflicts get worked out.

The merger and upgrading of the LucasArts boards is sort of like immersion therapy; it works for some right away, while others are immediatly repulsed by the notion. The majority, however, realize that it is something that will take some getting used to, and will gradually come to accept it.

Things will settle down soon, I'm almost sure of it.
 raVen_image
12-08-2001, 5:29 PM
...If you add WoMI, you've got to add MILegend, and I think Monkeycenter, and probably some other Monkey Island-themed site, and in terms of sheer postcounts they couldn't compete with EscapeMI even if you found them at the same place.
Hehe..true, but it's quality that counts. By the way, it's good to see you Ryback. I'm sorry that I missed saying hello, earlier. This is your regular forum, isn't it?

Basically all I'd like to see is a webforum linked off the main WMI page, with most of the old regulars, and the forum organized much as it was before.
It could be done. I think this is a smashing idea, but it's easy for me to say, since I'm not doing the work to put it together. But, I like the way you think.
Now, where's murry84? He could solve this dilemma in less than thirty seconds...
**guffaw** That he would. And as you know, he's always right. He must be lurking around here, somewhere. Just look for posts that have single sentence (or one word) posts ...like "OK"

Ahoy, murry84, wherever you are. :)
 Ryback
12-08-2001, 8:55 PM

Hehe..true, but it's quality that counts. By the way, it's good to see you Ryback. I'm sorry that I missed saying hello, earlier. This is your regular forum, isn't it?

Well, if you can call about ninety-something posts before Mixnmojo went down 'regular', but yeah. It's an old familiar place. There weren't that many regulars though, probably about twenty or so. I used to post occasionally at the MI Scumm Bar board, which hasn't come back yet.

Anyway, good to hear from you too, raVen. WoMI might have a small user base compared to some, but if you look at the average message length I reckon we'd be right up there...

(or we could just be a bunch of longwinded cretins... )

And I like murry84. He reformed his ways (well, mostly...) and turned into quite a good debater. I wonder what he's doing at the moment...:)
 benjoyce
12-09-2001, 8:23 AM
Seaking of myself, I have registered for the WMI forums, and I really enjoyed just browsing and reading all the things they have written, I reaalllly enjoyed the World Trade Center suggested messages. Also the one about psychology. I wish they would stay there for eternity. and you certainly should keep them sealed from the others. It is like food, when you mix two of them, and you like cinnamon and orange too, but when mixed, you vomit it. Know what I mean. this special'y of the WMI forums shall be kept.
 raVen_image
12-09-2001, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by benjoyce
Seaking of myself, I have registered for the WMI forums, and I really enjoyed just browsing and reading all the things they have written, I reaalllly enjoyed the World Trade Center suggested messages. Also the one about psychology. I wish they would stay there for eternity. and you certainly should keep them sealed from the others. It is like food, when you mix two of them, and you like cinnamon and orange too, but when mixed, you vomit it. Know what I mean. this special'y of the WMI forums shall be kept.
That is a unique analogy (metaphor?) benjoyce. I don't think I've thought about it in those terms. It was good to have you there with us.

And for my comment to murry84: He knows how I feel about him. He and I got into some serious debates, and he really gave me a run-for-my-money. I guess I said what I did just to draw him out from the shadows, if he was here. I haven't seen "hide nor hair" of him, yet.

On that note: where are Haxaty, Capn Cutlass, Matt_Kelly, MurrayBwahahaha(etc.), oldwizard, and the rest of our crew? I hope they haven't given up. :( I liked their input as well.
 Haxaty
12-09-2001, 1:55 PM

On that note: where are Haxaty, Capn Cutlass, Matt_Kelly, MurrayBwahahaha(etc.), oldwizard, and the rest of our crew? I hope they haven't given up. :( I liked their input as well.

Hmm.. you liked my input? *blushing*
You must be really messed up ;)

I am so emotional right now *crying*
It has been way too long.. :(
I loved the WMI community, and the only reason that I am registering here is because I really want raVen_image's e-mail adres (I can't see it in this forum, I can only send him e-mails through this forum).
Maybe I'll stick around. This forum scores really low on user friendlyness. And believe me, I have become an expert in vBB and uBB fora :D
I even run 3 myself :)

I don't think that the WMI community is big enough for it's own forum. But at least The Almighty (Dalixam for the non-believers) should try, if I may speak freely.

So please send me a mail, raVen_image. it's haxaty@hotmail.com

Oh yeah, I have a really good reason why WMI should have it's own forum: if The Almighty's forum goes to this place, then I'll follow....
Think about that... You don't want me around here? Do ya? :D
Got ya there!
 raVen_image
12-09-2001, 2:13 PM
You know you are welcome, Haxaty. :D

As for an email that will accept your messages: Check your PMs.

Good to have you back ...now, where is the rest of the worldofmi community?

SIGN IN!!! We want to hear from you!
 Paco (V)
12-09-2001, 2:31 PM
Hi and hello raVen, Haxaty and the rest :)
It's great to see that Mojo is back from the dead!
I'm still working hard on my MI1 comic and I really can't wait to see WMI and The SCUMMbar back in full business
 Haxaty
12-09-2001, 2:32 PM
If WMI is going to have a forum here... Paco just has got to draw some cool avatars!

That guy is just amazing... He makes beautifull pictures and comics. He enhanced the whole WMI (with The Allmighty, of course). And then there are these guys like me: lazy, always late, lazy, nerd, geek, freak, lazy. And those guys like me always think of these new big projects for the talented people under us that aren't lazy...
My life really isn't complicated at all... :)
 Haggis
12-09-2001, 4:42 PM
Originally posted by Haxaty
If WMI is going to have a forum here...

Why bother? We are already taking over these forums ;)
BTW, welcome Paco (V) and Haxaty. :)
 Dalixam
12-09-2001, 4:57 PM
It's nice to see most of the old gang again, hello to you all!
Haxaty, thanks for referring to me as "The Allmighty" :cool:

Wether or not the WMI forums will join lucasforums.com will be up to the members, as I will have a poll about it when I can update the site again.

Remember, if we join we probably won't be on the main page of lucasgames.com, but located under Mixnmojo's board. (The text under "Community Banter" seem to indicate this.)

If we stay on our own, the WMI forums will soon recieve a nice upgrade (no posts or user accounts will be lost!), which adds a better design and many more features, like easy smiley selection (like here on vBulletin), avatars and much more ;)

Nice to see you all again and I look forward to a reunion once the WMI forums are back :)
 raVen_image
12-10-2001, 1:22 AM
Paco!!! ...boy am I anxious to see your artwork again. I am having paco-withdrawls.

I also forgot to mention Dank, and probably a dozen more people. If I forgot your name, it was unintentional.

Anyone else out there that hasn't signed in?
 Junaid
12-10-2001, 4:23 PM
Originally posted by Dalixam
It's nice to see most of the old gang again, hello to you all!

Yipeeee! Da Gang is back in town!!!!
:amidala:
 Fender
12-21-2001, 5:27 AM

Oh, for sure :)

Putting my concerns aside, there are advantages to this merging. I have been introduced to message-boards that I might never have seen, otherwise. How they may feel about a newbie that begins with 250+ posts is another matter, but I have not been treated like an intruder, yet.

They didn't seem to bothered with my arrival at GFN, it's one big community, so I imagine it will be one big friendly community aswell.
 Fender
12-21-2001, 5:32 AM

I'm not sure either. I wouldn't want to sound like I'm complaining about these new forums... probably in six months we'll be wondering how we ever got by without them. On the other hand, Mixnmojo hosts a lot of small sites with their own forums, which did quite fine before. If you add WoMI, you've got to add MILegend, and I think Monkeycenter, and probably some other Monkey Island-themed site, and in terms of sheer postcounts they couldn't compete with EscapeMI even if you found them at the same place.

I was talking to Jojo a few days ago, and he doesn't know whether he'll bother putting the MonkeyCenter back up again for a while atleast.
 Fender
12-21-2001, 5:36 AM

Unfortuanately, most forums generally merge into somethign bigger overtime. For example, the forums @ http://bs3.escapemi.com/) were great, but then Jojo accepted Revolution's offer ad they became the Revolution Software community forums. It was ok, but now it's gonna be better since Rev have forund there own forums again.
 Dalixam
12-28-2001, 2:29 PM
I'm happy to announce that the WMI forums (http://www.worldofmi.com/interact/forums/) are back up!

Hope to see you back there! :cool:
 Fender
12-30-2001, 6:20 PM
I normally end up browsing the WMI forums, but I can'tthink of anything to say that will add a new dimension to the thread...... :( You're all tooo clever!
Page: 1 of 1