Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

who has played on desert maps

Page: 1 of 1
 captain_drake
12-04-2001, 3:20 PM
i know it's stupid to ask but i don't relly try the maps with no water
becouse i like my navel forces

so what are they like are the resources hard to find or what
 Supreme Warlord
12-04-2001, 5:18 PM
Dunno but i am sure there is no trees around because there is no way they can survive in the searing heat. I have no idea. hmmmm....
 captain_drake
12-06-2001, 1:41 PM
i figure that but what about animals and such

i hope no wampas or i'll have to call mr garber:D
 Grimjack
12-06-2001, 5:14 PM
If you want to get a preview of what a random map will look like you can use the scenario editor. At the top of the editor click the map button, then at the bottom pick random and select the map size and type. Hit generate map and you will get an idea of what that random map will look like and what type of terrain, creatures, ect. it has.
 SirBlack
12-06-2001, 9:58 PM
I've played on Desert a few times. There weren't any trees as I recall, certainly no big forests. Instead you get "Carbon Rocks". Food is more of a problem than other maps (except space). No berries. No Nerfs, although you might find Banthas. Not as many animals to be hunted, but there are still Dewbacks and a few others around. Instead of Tusk Cats prowling around, you'll find Jawas. I was quite amused to find a Jawa attacking one of my Perfabs one time... but I couldn't mind control him so I had to kill him... such a shame... Anyway, back to resources, Ore and Nova were just about the same as on most other maps.
 Gungan_Reble
12-07-2001, 11:37 AM
Yep Sir Black just about covers it it's also harder to Defend
your base from rushes early on :D
 Heavyarms
12-07-2001, 11:44 AM
just the lame jawas... why no tuskens?
 captain_drake
12-07-2001, 1:53 PM
hey what does a jawa use when he attacks :jawa
 Supreme Warlord
12-07-2001, 3:49 PM
Captain Drake you did it wrong. No slash in the first tag and by the way dont capitalize your tags, it is not necessary
 Supreme Warlord
12-07-2001, 3:50 PM
Never mind.... hehehe you figure it out... hehehe:)
 captain_drake
12-07-2001, 4:02 PM
yoink

spamer alert spamer alert

anywhay what does a jawa use when he attacks

:confused: :jawa :confused:
 Aki_Zeta-5
12-07-2001, 5:23 PM
Yes, so terribly sorry to try and keep the thread on-topic, instead of talking about someone's .sig =p

There -are- Tuskan Raiders; at least on Tatooine. Raiders and Jawas both use melee attacks. I haven't seen any range on them, at least. You can also find and take control of Sandcrawlers; they're okay, but can't handle much on their own.

Carbon is usually mined from Carbon Rocks, like on a space/asteroid map. And walling yourself in is a pain in the butt. =p
 captain_drake
12-10-2001, 10:46 AM
on the weakend i played on one
but i didn't see jawas or raiders just sandcrawlers i could controal
so why is that:confused:
 Supreme Warlord
12-10-2001, 10:51 AM
Uh Sandcrawler? I havent played on a desert map. Carbon Rocks? Do the workers look different when mining Carbon Rocks? Also maybe you didnt explore all of the map to find them or maybe it is the wrong desert map. Dunno
 Heavyarms
12-10-2001, 11:10 AM
they look the same, warlord.
 captain_drake
12-10-2001, 1:31 PM
dude i have been all over the map

and the weird thing is is that i used tatoinie as the map
 IdLe_WorkeR
12-10-2001, 7:49 PM
You can also get a good idea of what the different desert maps loook and play like by playing the computer in random map mode, selecting the map you want to see, and turning on "reveal map". When the game loads, just scroll around the map and see what is there.

I just spent all day crawling though the rms script for "desert". here is some of what I found out.

There is a 50-50 shot as to whether the map will launch as Tantoine, or Jaloriis. If Tantoine, it will have twisted trees, and one or more of Krayt dragons, tuscan raiders or jawa's on it. If Jaloriis, there will be carbon rocks rancors and/ot krayt dragons. (How do these things get around bt worlds, anyway? People took them along as pets, or what?) There will NOT be buildings or sandcrawlers, those are specific to the Tantione map or the Jaloriis map.

Terrain is rough in 2 player mode, though not as much as some. The larger the map, the less rough it gets.

Some players don't like the look / way Desert plays. In AoC there used to be a rms script called GreenArabia. Multiple versions of this script for Desert are being produced.

Arabia is popular with many AoC players bc of the lack of defensive capabilities on the map, and the chess-like situation is presents the players.
 captain_drake
12-12-2001, 10:19 AM
i got to see a tusken riader

i was the trade feds and i sent two hvy troopers to reiforce my rebal ally whose base was next to an enmey and it jumped out and attacked with his gafi stick

crikey those things do a lot of damage
 Mace
12-12-2001, 2:33 PM
On Tatooine you can control the sandcrawlers but you have to capture them like you do nerfs, banthas etc. If you get four or five of them early in T1 you can actually do some good damage, at least against the computer. I played again 3 computer opp. on moderate and wiped them out in about 25 minutes with just 5 Sandcrawlers and a handful of basic troopers. I didn't take out any of their fortresses but I did take out the CC and all their workers forcing them to resign. It made for nice rush without using any of my resources.
 Supreme Warlord
12-12-2001, 10:11 PM
What is the damage stats for these sandcrawlers? It must be high in order to do that that easily...
 Heavyarms
12-13-2001, 6:27 AM
think it is around 150-200 hp.
 Zendjir
12-13-2001, 7:02 AM
I think the sandcrawlers are baaad. When I played a random map for the first time (1 vs 1comp, moderate) I attacked the comp base with 2 trooper recruits/ scout/ medic/ 6 sandcrawlers before he even had a troop center. geez, that was unbalanced, and he resigned.

I think they should just act as very powerful critters, not as free units.
 captain_drake
12-13-2001, 12:08 PM
well i agree i think these things at least should be able to transport troops :trooper:
Page: 1 of 1