Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Rushing!!

Page: 1 of 1
 Kudar
12-04-2001, 9:56 AM
Right for the benefit of the site I'd like to get the rundown on Rushing, particularly the types of possible rushes, and techniques on how to execute them, before we move onto how to defend against them.

I'm not going to claim I know anything about rushing, but I did something the other day in a game that forced my opponent to resign fairly quickly.

We started on high resources, which to me is just asking for trouble, I produced about 10 troopers, and took out his scout when it came past, basically rendering him blind, I then sent my troopers over to his base, as I was researching tech 2, took a few of his workers and some of his troopers before being overpowered, meanwhile I'd been producing workers and more troopers, I then sent the next lot of troopers over again and when the arrived I'd finished the trooper research in the troop center so they were stronger, I then took out his weaker troopers, moved on to his workers, eventually forcing him to resign (it also helped that he was only going to be online for a quick game) - if he hadn't have to leave anyway he was in a position where he had no workers and about 10-15 troopers laying seige to his CC, rendering any attempts to produce workers as futile.

I don't think that this is something I will actively try to do in future because it keeps games short but is this considered to be a rush?

What other types of rush are there?
 duder
12-04-2001, 10:22 AM
LOL yeah that is definately a rush...but hey its part of the game. My fave AoE rush was to build towers with walls around then to stop them being knocked down...it kills all there troopers and workers effectivelygives you the head start that you need. Sending in a handful of troops canbe hazardous cuz if it comes off unsucessful than you have wasted valuble resources and you lose pace in therace to tech 4.
 Supreme Warlord
12-04-2001, 10:36 AM
Rush is really hard to execute in the early stage. it make the game more fun too. Already have war at the begininng hehehe I always do this to my oppenont to hinder his ecomony. IT WORKS!!! :D You are smart to rush though hehehe. I thought i would tell you that you are a genius man;)
 duder
12-04-2001, 11:01 AM
I had a someone jedi rush me theother day......Completely did me over...although he must have used all of his resources, which means if i had succesfully defended he would have been done for. Although i didnt kill one of them :(
 Heavyarms
12-04-2001, 11:42 AM
It kills anyone that has it happen to them, cuz it always happens to me!
 Kudar
12-06-2001, 10:51 AM
I'm still looking for detailed info on rushing folks :)
 duder
12-06-2001, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by WC_heavyarms
It kills anyone that has it happen to them, cuz it always happens to me!

and you refused to play me because you believed you were too good???

please!!!
 Heavyarms
12-06-2001, 11:22 AM
That's an rm, fooL! Don't piss me off, or I will do it to you! Fine, want a match? Tomorrow, 3 o clock!
 duder
12-07-2001, 6:37 AM
oooh name calling eh!!! im not sure i want to play you, you sound far too uptight!
 Knights_Q2
12-07-2001, 9:29 AM
Rushing...ok I can tell you alot about that.

First of all, rushing can happen in all four ages though a t4 rush is rare(ever seen a 25 min assault mech rush? deadly)

In t1, you got troopers and mounties, but skip the mounties, troopers are much better.

In t2 still troopers are best, but jedi are good too. Mounties are still kinda iffy, and the tower rush is not very good vs a good player.

In t3, you mechs, air, and fortress drops. Mechs are best all around casue no aa turrets can stop em, but if uyou can get the air rush off, it kills. The fortress drop is great too, just make sure they don't catch you before it's up.

t4 rushes are hard. You have to get somethin like a 22 min t4 and make assault mechs which slaughter pretty much every thing in t3. But the fast advancement leaves you very vulnerable, so never do this on the wing and only do it once you practiced it vs the comp a bit.

I cant really give you a build order because of the randomness of resources, just remember to make lots of workers(at least 24) in t1 and try to get fast times (11-14 t2)(14-20 t3)and(25-35 t4)
 Cross_+_Flame
12-11-2001, 4:31 PM
Originally posted by WC_heavyarms
That's an rm, fooL! Don't piss me off, or I will do it to you! Fine, want a match? Tomorrow, 3 o clock!

Yeah! Meet you by the flagpole after school!

Kids...
 Kudar
12-12-2001, 5:15 PM
Originally posted by Cross_+_Flame

Yeah! Meet you by the flagpole after school!

Kids...

:D :D :D HAHAHA, anyway, back on topic guys ;)
 blue_myriddn
12-13-2001, 6:24 PM
I made a quick summary here:

http://www.mrfixitonline.com/readPosting.asp?PostingId=654254)

have fun out there!
 Destroyer Droid
12-14-2001, 7:08 AM
I was about to post the same link blue :)
 Paragon_Leon
12-24-2001, 8:21 AM
Sometimes i rush, sometimes i just use it for fun.
Usually i don't need to..
 Zygomaticus
12-27-2001, 4:09 PM
so what does rushing mean excactly

1) sending troops to the enemy base as early as possible

2) sending workers later in the game to the enemy base and building war structures as close as possible

i think both these are cool
 duder
12-28-2001, 3:32 AM
I think of a rush as a way of slowing the enemies economy. It is very general, it could be a t1 rush with troops, or a t3 rush with air etc.
 xX_Ne0_Xx
12-29-2001, 9:38 AM
Me likes rushing. BOOOM FUN!
 AzN_ProtocoL
12-30-2001, 8:37 AM
i played with someone that rushes 3 min when game starts and uses all his workers and a scout to attack me... :):) i beat them up with my 5 trooperR
 StarScrap
01-03-2002, 11:57 PM
That reminded me of a game I played in SC that was a 2v2 comp on a small map. Te guy I was supposed to be allied with didn't ally for a little bit, sent all his workers to attack me, and then claimed the comp did it. I killed him, then proceeded to beat up the comps:rolleyes:
 Natopo
01-06-2002, 8:26 AM
I think using the strategy of building war structures near the enemy base is a good strategy. Speaking of such, i just got a good idea. Early in the game, make a wall surrounding the base and guard the outside of his base with turrets. This will prevent hime from attacking you quickly and warn you if he is trying to get to your base.
 Rogue15
01-09-2002, 1:46 PM
First I build a power core, then troop center, then nursery, then i build 5 trooper recruits, while they're being made, i research tech 2, then i send my 3 workers and 5 troopers to the enemy base, have the workers set up a turret (by the time i reach the base, it's tech level 2 time), and i build a troop center near the turret, and then i build a carbon place, get the enemy's wood, while i take 1 of the workers and keep building turrets, usually around the enemy's prehab shelters, i put troopers in the turrets, 1 in each if i'm under attack, then i build some mounted troopers and take out any nearby enemy turrets. I proceed to build my turrets close to the enemy's command center, and then when i have like 4 mounted troopers, i go after their troop center, and then when the enemy's turrets have been all taken care of, i ungarrison my troopers (i researched tech 2 troopers while they were on the way to the base), and i slaughter their workers and have the mounted troopers concentrate on the command center.

It works pretty good against a moderate computer...
 Chessack
01-09-2002, 3:12 PM
This sounds like a neat strategy except... how do you know exactly where he is that early in the game? Doesn't it take a few minutes to find his base? And by then, couldn't he already be researching tech 2 and beat you to the punch?
 Rogue15
01-09-2002, 3:46 PM
err, minimap, max pop 25, high resources. :p
 Chessack
01-09-2002, 4:01 PM
Ah right, well, that does kind of "load the dice" toward a quick-kill attempt, I suppose. ;)

I tend to play 150 max pop, very large maps (I like to do a lot of exploring, and to have some time/space between me and my enemies), etc.
 SharaFett
01-09-2002, 5:16 PM
i play max pop 200

i remember back in the day when my friend gian and i used to get killed against one medium opponent in aoe. now we easily slaughter 4 medium opponents (ehhe GO US!). playing with like 25 pop max is a good way to improve on your early-tech rushing strategy.
Page: 1 of 1