Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

What do AOE players think of this game ?

Page: 1 of 1
 Whizzy
10-24-2001, 7:49 AM
I'm a very frequent AOE player and as this game uses the same engine, I wonder what do die-hard AOE players think of this ?

Are the small changes in the engine (button placement etc.) better than in AOE or just a pain in the #ss ?

Also do you find that you can easily distinguish units when there all gathered on a single piece of land and blasting eachother to bits ?

I personally think the interface and unit recognition is clearer in AOE ! But that's my opinion....
 Knights_Q2
10-24-2001, 9:12 AM
I too was a die hard Aok player but I've all but given up the game in favor of this one. I believe Lucas arts has done an amazing job and I can't wait for the final version.:D
 Whizzy
10-24-2001, 10:03 AM
Well for one thing: The units are way to large... :(.
I like the small units in AOE more than the ones used in this game. With 20 units at once the screen is already filled to the top. With AOE i can have like 50-60 units on one screen and still have room between them.
Hopefully a lot is solved when we can select 1280x1024 because the demo resolution of 1024x768 is way to low..
 Paragon_Leon
10-24-2001, 10:32 AM
That resolution-bit will get better... :D
And i LIKE large units !! The scale is very, very nice this way...
And the sight of ten landing-craft dropping troops will be AWESOME !

I L.O.V.E. THIS GAME !!
(excuse the sudden outburst)
 Lord JayVizIon
10-24-2001, 1:12 PM
i don't think the units are too large, rather you just notice that b/c LEC had to work with scaling all of the units correctly. i'd rather have it that way than seeing same sized troopers and at-at's attacking my base, which is very inaccurate.
 Paladin
10-24-2001, 4:48 PM
ITS AN AWESOME GAME NO DOUBT BUT I THINK THEY COULD ADD MORE UNITS.
 Maul403
10-24-2001, 9:12 PM
how come this forum posts basically the same things over and over again? go read the forums...this question has been anwsered a couple times already
http://forums.galacticbattles.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2432)
 virtualoctopus
10-25-2001, 5:05 AM
gb looks awesome. real good. it will probably attract more buyers than aoe2 coz of the starwars part. overall, though, it will be interesting to see how it fares up to rtses like ra2.
 WC_heavyarms
10-25-2001, 6:01 AM
It'll sell more than RA2, IMO. It won't get even close to this. Not many know about this game, unless you check their sites. Their being Lucasarts
 Paragon_Leon
10-25-2001, 7:44 AM
What I'm most interested in is how the longevity-factor of GB will play out against AOK. I hope it'll be just as succesful and have a similar fan-base.

Just because a topic was once discussed, doesn't mean new members can't post about that anymore. Remember, you're not alone on these forums. Grant the space to your fellow forummers.
 Whizzy
10-25-2001, 8:09 AM
Then Lucas arts better be prepared to listen to the buyers and create patches that make the balance between teams perfect. AOE also needed 2 or 3 patches before balance was perfect !

I don't believe that the first version of GB can be perfectly balanced, this always comes after the game is released and players begin complaining...

Hopefully they will listen. Or they should make it perfect in one release :D
 Toothless-OMO
10-25-2001, 8:36 AM
Whizzy,

Games can come out almost perfect. Yet, every game will need a bit of tweaking to make it just right after users start to play it and put it through it paces.

A new game that was recently released has the balance almost dead on out of the box. In fact this game needed NO patch to fix any problems with game play at all. The Game I am talking about is a little known game called "Conquest Frontier Wars." It is a great RTS that finally put the "S" back in RTS. You can play on 2 to 16 maps in one game, all connected by wormholes. It has some very nice features in it as well. But one of the best things is the developer is always out on the forum answering questions and taking people comments to heart.

It is worth a look see.

I trust SWGB will be at least this good if not better in the game play and support area. I personally do not own a Star Wars game. It just seemed they could never get it "right," and I have wasted to much of my $$$ on games that should have never been released.

Anywho, I think this game looks like a winner an dlook forward to giving it a go upon release.

Toothless-OMO
 virtualoctopus
10-25-2001, 9:53 AM
ive just seen the advert for gb in my star wars mag (uk). ive seen screenies for it b4, but the advert rocks!
 DSSMASTERVIPER
10-25-2001, 10:31 AM
well think about this what if some hacker could get units from AoK into starwars u can have a starwars vs age of empires
 Whizzy
10-25-2001, 11:01 AM
<offtopic>

What about Startrek against Starwars... although 'Q' would wipe everybody of the field ;) it would be very funny !

</offtopic>
 DSSMASTERVIPER
10-25-2001, 11:05 AM
Q?

As for star Trek they wouldn't be able to do a thing against the DEATH STAR, think about it, there fighters are to big
 ImpStarII
10-25-2001, 12:43 PM
I have been star wars fan along time and every one of thier games(except Force Commander) have been awsome. GB is going to be the best.

From the Star Destroyer, Sly

ImpStarII :vsd:
 Darth_Venage
10-25-2001, 1:01 PM
Originally posted by DSSMASTERVIPER
Q?

As for star Trek they wouldn't be able to do a thing against the DEATH STAR, think about it, there fighters are to big

for the most part, but all that would be required wqould be the borg to assimilate everything in the battlefield except the death star itself, then turn them all against it. 'Simple Logic'.(sorry. That was a quote from star trek 4)
 ImpStarII
10-25-2001, 1:47 PM
The Borg would be decimated when the Sly arrives. HA HA HA

From the Star Destroyer, Sly

ImpStarII

"I am Captain James T. Kirk of the Federation Starship Enterprise"-Captain Kirk

"I am Captain Kathren Janeway of the Federation Starship Voyager"-Captain Janeway

I am Admiral ImpStarII of the Blue Dragons Space force. Commander of the Super Star Destoyer Sly.
:vsd: :vsd:
 Darth_Venage
10-25-2001, 5:57 PM
Originally posted by ImpStarII
The Borg would be decimated when the Sly arrives. HA HA HA

right, just keep decieving yourself. And while you're at it, just imagine what you would look like when you got assimilated.:D
 idiot00001
10-25-2001, 6:07 PM
Galactic Battlegrounds is to me more fun than AOK because in AOK the civilizations all seemed basically the same.
 Whizzy
10-26-2001, 8:09 AM
Yes.... seemed...

But, the 'more than average' AOE player knows that certain civils have special advantages for special tasks. Like some can have very fast castle times (i believe techlevel3) or have units that build very fast, or or or.

I hope that's the same with this game, not to equally balanced for all the different species, that would make it boring.
 Admiral Thrawn
10-26-2001, 8:50 AM
Yea, and the civs were sooo different because of different bonus's.
 nightcrawlerx13
10-26-2001, 12:07 PM
I love AOE and I am really excited for GB to come out so I can see all of the differences between the two. I think that the people who like Star Wars will like this game and the people who do not like Star Wars will stick to AOE or whatever games they play.
 Silenthunter
10-26-2001, 1:36 PM
I agree with the above. I personally can't wait till it comes out. I mean, there might be something I don't like(i doubt it) But i'll still play as much as i can. GB will rock!
 DarthTenor
10-26-2001, 1:56 PM
Well i personally loved AOK and the Civs where actually diferse enough to warant different strengths and weaknesses. Notice there are civs more prominant in the FLUSH Strength and some civs that are best orinted "defensive." It seems as thought Lucas arts is not going that route. I think GB is diverse enough with the civs alreadyh. Even Playing both Rebels and Empire feels different. Perhaps because of the different art sets. Each civ will have certain advantages and will probably play differently enough to promote different strategies. Rebels (Strong Air/Troopers/Jedi) Empire (Strong Mechs/jedi/Troopers) Gungans (Mechs/Ships) Naboo (Air/Jedi/Ships) Wookies (Stronger troopers/Air) TRade Federation (Mechs/Ships?) All have certain unique techs as well to strengthen their uniqueness. All in all the game shoud be balanced enough where there will be no ultimate dominate civ.
 WC_heavyarms
10-26-2001, 2:58 PM
well, in AoK, it was so badly one-sided. You would fight pretty much the same things every time, Mostly just huge hordes of siege onagers and paladins in Dm's. In Gb though, There will be a lot more to consider, like what to use, because battles will NOT be one sided, like AoK.
 Admiral Thrawn
10-27-2001, 11:38 PM
What do you hate more, Pal rushing or flushing?
 JEDI_MASTA
10-28-2001, 10:17 AM
im not really sure theyll like it now

(mind change)
because most of them are not star wars fans but hopefully im wrong
 Paragon_Leon
10-29-2001, 3:13 PM
yes you are. i am a VERY fanatic AOC player, and a big SW-nut.
so the two DO combine.
 Zygomaticus
10-31-2001, 11:59 AM
im a big aoe2 fan and i think this game is almost an exact replica of aoe2 except that its Star wars
Page: 1 of 1