Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Violence in Games

Page: 1 of 1
 DashRendar1
08-01-2001, 1:16 AM
As Lance Storm would say, "If I could be serious for a moment," I would like to discuss violence in games and their affect on people. In my opinion, games do not make people violent. It is unfair to say that a game can make a person violent when there is no solid proof. Of course, I may be wrong. I can accept that. Please, post your comments and feelings about this subject. It would be interesting to have opinions from people who play games. Oh yeah, be honest, and I appologize if there is another post like this.
 PreTZeL
08-01-2001, 1:47 AM
Apoligy accepted! :)
and i agree, there is no solid proof...personally, i dont think anything affects me too much...violence in real life is so...barbaric its unreal...oh well, what can i do?
 OnlyOneCanoli
08-01-2001, 3:03 AM
Games affect me in no way that I'm aware of. Max Payne does not make me want to kill hundreds of bad guys. Maybe bullet time, but not killing. =)

However, there was one guy who posted at the IGN boards a few days ago, asking if there were parental controls. I thought he'd just want to know because blood creeps him out or something. But he said that swearing in games made him want to swear.

Someone that impressionable should not be playing games like Max Payne.

BTW, we do have a thread similar to this entitled "This is just wrong." Probably on the second page.
 GonkH8er
08-01-2001, 6:32 AM
Scott Miller, Software Designer:
<STRONG>“Blaming video games, movies or music wrongly shifts responsibility away from the person who committed the act and the person's custodians. We seem to live in a society in which people do not accept personal responsibility."</STRONG>

Matt Grose:
<STRONG>“The entertainment industry is not responsible for raising your kids. They are there to entertain people, that is their job and it is what they are paid to do. What they are not paid to do is, tell your kids the difference between right and wrong, baby-sit them, or make sure your children are not getting into trouble. I am not trying to say that parents are fully responsible for their child's actions. But I now know, it is not the entertainment industry's fault that these things happen in our society.”</STRONG>

Kerrie Murphy, Newspaper Reporter:
<STRONG>“I’m not arguing that a constant diet of shoot-em-up games is healthy, but doing nothing but collecting stamps isn’t a sign of a well balanced individual either.”</STRONG>

id post up my essay i did on violence in video games last year if i could be bothered, but i cant :)
 PreTZeL
08-01-2001, 11:07 AM
not that i dont like swearing or anything...i swear quite often myself...
but i guess a "good" feature of max payne is their lack of "bad words" the weird thing is....if they have so many bloody/scary situations...like druggies screaming like baby girls when they get shot...and the assassination of an infant...then i dont see why they wouldnt swear too...oh well...
i guess it isnt necessary, but it doesnt make sense!
 CaptainRAVE
08-01-2001, 4:21 PM
Here (http://www.avault.com/news/displaynews.asp?story=812001-112738) is another reason why video games can cause damage which is actually worse than violence and I think we should be more concerned with.

Also i find that wrestling on TV causes more violence than computer games. At least when they are doing the moves on computer games they are not carrying them out on other people :)
 DashRendar1
08-01-2001, 7:25 PM
I agree. I mean, what's wrong with blasting people on a screen? They're not real. People hunt animals, and there isn't much controversy about that.
 acdcfanbill
08-01-2001, 8:10 PM
dont be fooled, there are many more people who would like to outlaw guns and hunting than there are who would like to outlaw violent gaming!!! now, i own my fair share of guns, and my fair share of violent games, and i hunt, but i dont hunt people! i love killing **** on computer, but i dont feel the impulse to kill real people. the worst impulse i ever have is to maybe "jerk the wheel into a bridge embankment!"

so the real things at fault in terrible crimes are a: the people who commit them, and b: the guardian who raised such a terrible person. oh and sometimes people just go nuts too, so, it isnt always 'b'.
 digl
08-01-2001, 9:45 PM
:mad: damn
I just happened to install Kazaa yesterday, I didnt know about those damn yellow links
Right here I see parental controls as a yellow link :mad: :mad: :mad:

And about gaming and violence, I dont think playing FPSs will turn you into a mass killer at all
Its easy for people to just blame games or TV without really investigating what is the real problem
 access_flux
08-03-2001, 1:32 AM
i agree, some people shouldn't play violent games because it might be a little impressionable, but i would only put that for kids who are very young, but you have to take into consideration that most people in their right mind don't see blood and gore and real on games because half the ime it looks really, really pathetic, but OnlyOneCanoli there are a few people like that, but thats why i think most kids should go through a Psycholoical test to find stuff like that out.
Page: 1 of 1