Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Another Obi-Wan Preview. Mysery of Faucet Head Revealed

Page: 1 of 1
 Wilhuf
07-28-2001, 3:08 PM
IGN has another preview update on some of the game features for Obi-Wan for xbox.

Looks like Obi-Wan is now up to 30 frames per second. Progress, as promised. :rolleyes:

The article talks about some of the available arena combat. More importantly, LEC finally reveals the identity of the 'faucet heads' that we Obi-Wankenobi.netters all got a chuckle out of.

See the preview (http://xbox.ign.com/previews/16488.html).
 WD_ToRMeNt
07-28-2001, 7:56 PM
Bah, I hope it bombs. It prolly will from what I saw of the various vids. It got cheezed out when the killed the PC version and ported it to M$ monopoly box.

Oh well, from what I heard about a leaked PC demo it prolly woulda sucked anyway. I guess that is why the canceled it. They knew it would never satisfy the JKers so they dicided to make what money they could selling it to 12 year old consol players.
 acdcfanbill
07-28-2001, 8:26 PM
in that review, it is stated that lightsabers are not supposed to work underwater. it even refers to the cut scene from eps 1. so does that mean that sabers wont work underwater in JKII also? that should have been a question to ask Simon... damn, too late, well, what do you think Raven will do?
 wardz
07-28-2001, 9:02 PM
Dont worry, the peeps making that have NO say in JK2. Its up to raven I'd say

wardz

(Mr Jeffrey wouldn't answer that anyway)
 calendar
07-29-2001, 12:16 AM
I hope they improve the graphics 'cos they suck! :(
 Gabrobot
07-29-2001, 12:24 AM
I think by the time the orginal trilogy came along lightsabers were improved to work under water.

Heh heh, think about it, all you would need to beat a jedi would be a cup of water and a blaster, throw cup of water to short out saber, use blaster to take out jedi. ;)

[ July 28, 2001: Message edited by: Gabrobot ]
 CaptainRAVE
07-29-2001, 9:08 AM
That would actually be a really good idea unless they had a waterproof handle.
 PreTZeL
07-29-2001, 11:05 AM
Gabrobot:
dont you think they could maybe...move?
 CaptainRAVE
07-29-2001, 11:13 AM
Not if you had a super water pistol or something.
 Seryl Cann
07-29-2001, 12:04 PM
didn't they say there would be levels with rain and snow in JK2... If the saber doesn't work when it gets wet, it shouldn't work in those levels.
 matt--
07-29-2001, 2:39 PM
I was thinking the same thing. I'm pretty sure that sabers were improved by ANH.
 CaptainRAVE
07-29-2001, 3:52 PM
Originally posted by Seryl Cann:
<STRONG>didn't they say there would be levels with rain and snow in JK2... If the saber doesn't work when it gets wet, it shouldn't work in those levels.</STRONG>

That is an excellent point. I think it only happens when their underwater though. Their probably water resistant, but not water-proof.
 Wilhuf
07-29-2001, 4:34 PM
Didn't you guys watch The Empire Strikes Back? Lukes lightsaber worked just fine in the snows of Hoth.
:rolleyes:

Somehow I doubt Raven are going to prevent you from using a particular weapon because it happens to be raining...
 CaptainRAVE
07-29-2001, 6:13 PM
Snow???Whats that going to do. It wasnt going to melt because the planet is so cold. And if anyone here is a proper star wars fan then they would remember the scene they cut out of Ep1, when Obi-Wans lightsabre fried because he left it on stand-by underwater :)

[ July 29, 2001: Message edited by: CaptainRAVE ]
 Wilhuf
07-29-2001, 8:22 PM
A real Star Wars fan would discount Episode 1 to begin with, and would totally disregard cutscenes from Ep. 1. ;)

... Never mind that a lightsaber would melt snow, and even evaporate water ...

SOLO SHOT FIRST, NOT GREEDO, DAMN IT GEORGE.

Anyway, all further discussion on lightsabers working or not working on this thread shall be nuked. There is already a thread on the topic here (http://www.jediknightii.net/cgi-bin/forum/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=10&t=000253).

This thread is supposed to be about the Obi-Wan game.

What bothers me about the article is how Obi-Wan is only getting ~30 FPS. Xbox is supposed to have all the bells and whistles of a Geforce 3, and a 'fast bus.' Part of the reason LEC switched to xbox was supporting hardware of a higher specification than the run-of-the-mill home PC. So, I wonder what gives with the low FPS rate?
 Gabrobot
07-29-2001, 9:05 PM
Obviously bad engine design.

Heh, looks like JK 2 will run on a pentium 2 350(?) Mhz with a voodoo 3 and a few other things I've forgot, and it already has a higher framerate and better graphics!

I'd still like to play obi-wan when it comes out though.

[ July 29, 2001: Message edited by: Gabrobot ]
 MadPoster
07-29-2001, 9:07 PM
Because the shot of the saber shorting out underwater would have caused bad lag, and crashed the system.
 acdcfanbill
07-29-2001, 9:50 PM
maybe its a conspiricy to kill the xbox, make the games slow and choppy.
 Gabrobot
07-30-2001, 2:10 AM
I hope it works! :D

Oops, did I say that out loud? ;)
 Rogue15
07-30-2001, 1:51 PM
well, just because everybody hates it, i'm buying an x-box. I think i got enough money saved up for one. I'll be getting Obiwan too, a game that pc gamers will wish came to pc instead of jk2.

besides, isn't an xbox the same thing as a computer, it just uses the tv as a monitor. :D
 Rogue15
07-30-2001, 1:54 PM
I think obiwan will be funner than The Phantom Menace (a game i'm going off to play right now)
 CaptainRAVE
07-30-2001, 4:20 PM
Well it couldnt be any worse anyway :)
 Obi Kwan
07-30-2001, 5:31 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Rogue15:
I'll be getting Obiwan too, a game that pc gamers will wish came to pc instead of jk2.

What are you smoking? JK2 will be infinately better than that piece of Obi-Crap. The only thing that game has going for it is the sabre controls. It wont even be worth a 2 day rental.
 Seryl Cann
07-30-2001, 6:09 PM
The X-Box would be a pretty cheap server if you could get Linux on it :D I think I read somewhere someone is already working on it.
The same counts for the Playstation 2. And there's already a Linux version for the PS2 (just in Japan I think).
 matt--
07-30-2001, 7:32 PM
Interstinng concept. Don't they have an add-on harddrive for it? That would work wonders.
 Wilhuf
07-31-2001, 4:20 PM
There was going to be a linux-based console (Indrema) but I think they ran out of funding and the plug was pulled. See the Indrema homepage (http://www.indrema.com/servlet/site).
 Wilhuf
08-01-2001, 12:47 AM
Gamesmania (http://www.gamesmania.com/articles/Xbox/obiwanxbox/previews1.asp) have quietly revealed in their Obi-Wan preview (http://www.gamesmania.com/articles/Xbox/obiwanxbox/previews1.asp) that Obi-Wan for Xbox will not feature multiplayer. This has been alluded to in the past, and here is 'confirmation.'

http://www.gamesmania.com/articles/Xbox/obiwanxbox/Previews3a.jpg)
Token picture of Obi-Wan fighting a Faucet Head. Thanks Gamesmania (http://www.gamesmania.com/articles/Xbox/obiwanxbox/previews1.asp).

[ July 31, 2001: Message edited by: Wilhuf ]
Page: 1 of 1