Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Jurassic Park 3

Page: 1 of 1
 Boba Rhett
07-18-2001, 7:16 PM
Maybe I've just been spoiled by the special effects in Shrek, Final Fantasy, etc. but the fx in JP3 didn't really impress me.

The plot was ok, kinda just a rehash of the same old stuff though. Maybe it's because I've been exposed to the dinosours twice before but I didn't find them nearly as exciting this time and the new ones they introduced in this movie weren't very thrilling.

The plot needed more depth to it. It kinda just jumped into the action about 10 minutes into the movie. This one is definately the weekest one of the three but it was still entertaining. I'm still going to give it a thumbs up and a score of 7.5 I can only imagine what it could have been with Steven Speilberg(sp?) directing.

*****spoiler******

And what the hell is up with Grant not marying that lady from the first movie? :mad:
 OnlyOneCanoli
07-19-2001, 12:36 AM
I saw it. JP3 was decent. Much better than TLW, but not up to the mark set by the original JP.

*SPOILERS*

The plot was ok, I suppose. Basically, Grant's research site is losing funding (since InGen has gone out of business, less interest in the subject, and the future ability to work with dinos up close). A Mr. Kirby and his wife ask Dr. Grant to give them an aerial tour of Isla Sorna (Site B, not to be confused with the park island, Isla Nublar). He later learns that they wanted him to go so that he could help them find their missing son on the island. Against his warnings, the plane lands, and everyting goes to hell.

Very predictable, but it works.

The CGI was, of course, well done. But there was little improvement from TLW.

The action scenes didn't dissapoint me. We saw a duel between the Spinosaurus (the new bad guy) and a T-Rex, a few raptor predicaments, and a downright incredible sequence with the flying pterodactyls. The raptors are back to their selves, once again smart--unlike TLW. They can now communicate. I found that far fetched, but interesting nonetheless.

A had some gripes though. First of all it was only an hour and a half. What the hell?! It was over when you were starting to get really excited. Not only was it short, the ending was downright stupid and very abrupt. Also, Ellie from the original only makes a few cameos. Ian Malcolm is nowhere to be found, only mentioned. Tim and Lex, gone. Hammond is dead, I suppose.

There was also some very strange comedy. They crack too many jokes in the middle of action scenes and it kind of takes away some seriousness. I would rather had a thriller than a comedy. But it was still good. I also liked a subtle joke Grant made about the ridiculous ending to TLW (a T-rex in San Diego, if you don't remember).

The movie has its flaws, no doubt about that. But it's also entertaining and I enjoyed myself while seeing it. Definitely worth a matinee, and full price if you're a fan of the series. I'll give a 3.5 out of 5.

*END SPOILERS*
 GonkH8er
07-19-2001, 5:25 AM
lol you cant get to the reply button without having the spoilers visible on the page, so i thought i'd make 1 reply for the good of all those people who just dont want to know
 TheJackal_jk2
07-19-2001, 5:00 PM
The whole movie I was yelling: OH MY GOD SHE IS SO STUPID!

I can't believe I'm going to say this, but they all deserved to die. Stupid humans! ha!
 OnlyOneCanoli
07-19-2001, 8:41 PM
Yeah like when she found that dude all dead in parachute, she ran away for a minute straight, I figured some raptor would kill her then. Oh well.
 Mafia_Jabba
07-19-2001, 10:20 PM
I agree with everything you guys said, and I think it was a good movie to go view none the less.

BTW-thanks for putting the spoilers title for a warning to people who didn't view it yet.
 TheJackal_jk2
07-20-2001, 12:48 AM
my post wasn't really a spoiler :mad:
 TheJackal_jk2
07-20-2001, 12:51 AM
BTW. I doubt anybody read the books of Jurrasic Park? 1 and 2?

the book of #1 is way better then the movie. More action (believe it or not)

#2 is completly different from the movie. They don't go to San Fransico. And again, more realistic then the movie and more action that makes sence.

I recommand everybody to read them.
 OnlyOneCanoli
07-20-2001, 1:46 AM
Yeah, the books blow away the movies. Even TLW the novle lives up to JP the novel.
 FIDO Droid
07-20-2001, 2:35 AM
Jurasic Park sucks.
 acdcfanbill
07-20-2001, 2:58 AM
the books were pretty cool! jp3 was ok, tho it doesnt suprise me that steven speilberg and michael chriton stayed away from it. i love the way dead people suddenly appear alive in TLW book. it cracks me up.

on another note, anyone read any other Michael Chriton books? i loke 'em, especially sphere (mace windu was good in the movie).
 OnlyOneCanoli
07-20-2001, 4:54 AM
I read Timeline. It was interesting.
 Aragorn
07-20-2001, 3:12 PM
Jurassic Fart is the only Speilberg film I HATE! After so many years I'm still crying about the money I gave to see it on cinema. Hell I'd still cry if I saw it on video too...
 Wilhuf
07-20-2001, 9:29 PM
I liked the first Jurassic Park (film). Hook, also by Spielberg, on the other hand, was so bad, it made me cry.

I liked the Jurassic Park novel as well. It's interesting that some of the best scenes in Jurassic Park 2 (the lost world) were actually written in the original Jurassic Park novel (e.g. the compys attack the girl on the beach). On the whole JP2 was weak.

So, should I stay away from JP3 or go see it? I hear the effects are actually very good.

[ July 20, 2001: Message edited by: Wilhuf ]
 ed_silvergun
07-20-2001, 10:10 PM
JP2? Weak? It was appalling!

I mean, the first one was pretty good, and JP2 seemed like it had a promising beginning, but then it turned into a King Kong with dinosaurs!

I'm afraid, having recently been swindled out of nearly five nicker for that pathetic excuse for a film known as Lara Croft: Tomb Raider, I'm not going to part with more money to go and see JP3.
 JediKnight_114[b]
07-20-2001, 10:45 PM
JP3 is good if a bit short. I spent some time thinking about what was wrong with it and I figured it out: In the first JP, it was really story driven and they made it creepy by the settings and the situations and what you couldn't see. Like, when Ellie had to get the power back on in that tiny little bunker, at the same time, Grant and those two kids are trying to get off that fence before the power is turned on, and then, when she gets the power on, she nearly kills Tim, and then immediately gets chased by raptors.

Whereas in JP3, it's like: One place, they get chased by dino's, get away with one casualty, go to next place, get chased by dinos, another casualty.

It just wasn't tense enough, there weren't enough raptors, and the people weren't split up enough to get chased around separately. Also, there was only one goal for them: Get to the coast. As opposed to Find everyone, Get the power on, avoid being eaten, and call for help as in JP. However,it was still entertaining to sit through and worth the money.

Originally posted by acdcfanbill:<STRONG> on another note, anyone read any other Michael Chriton books? i loke 'em, especially sphere (mace windu was good in the movie).</STRONG>

I have read most all of his books. Eaters of the Dead/13th WArrior is one of my favorites with The Lost World probably first. But The Terminal Man is the only one that I just don't like
 OnlyOneCanoli
07-21-2001, 12:08 AM
Yeah, that's a good point. JP3 was lacking suspense. It was very lacking in that area. In JP (OK, I was 8 at the time, but still) I jumped several times, and closed my eyes during the dilophosaurus scene (the spitter scene)--I went back the same night, partly so I could watch that scene with my opened.

In JP3, I definitely did not get the sense of fright. They were just mindlessly running, with a very simple goal-get to the ocean.

Wilhuf, the movie does have some serious flaws. However, I did enjoy it. If you go in there hoping for a movie of JP's calibur, don't bother. If you want a great plot with very deep characters, forget it. But if you want an entertaining dino flick, a good popcorn movie, or something like that with out sky high expectations you will enjoy it like I did.
 Mafia_Jabba
07-21-2001, 5:38 AM
Thank you thank you! Why does every Gosh Damn movie have to be the best movie of the year in EVERYONE'S eyes these days. Jesus, can't anyone ever sit back and just enjoy a movie without contemplating on it. Like he said, JP3 is a good popcorn movie, its not story driven obviously.

And another thing. How the **** can you not like Jurassic Park. It has story, action, adventure. Every damn thing. Waste your money on it my ass! ****, I hate mother ****ers like that who have to hate every damn thing that a whole bunch of people like for attention! ****ing **** man get a ****ing life, you know you LOVED that move you can't bring yourself to ****ing admit it.
 matt--
07-21-2001, 6:09 AM
:eek: Lighten up man :eek:
 OnlyOneCanoli
07-21-2001, 6:13 AM
LOL, dude, calm down before you have a heart attack. Everyone is entitled to their opinions.
 GonkH8er
07-21-2001, 6:26 AM
i love michael chricton books. i read jp and lw both after i saw the movies. i preferred the books alot more.

i would have loved to have seen some of those lw book scenes in the movie, like the bike scene :)

i read sphere, loved it. saw the movie- wasnt fussed on it.

read timeline, enjoyed it a lot. saw the game- disapointed

started reading great train robbery- fell asleep :)

andromeda strain, excellent book. crichtons best. well thats what i think anyway :)

i quite liked airframe too.

i finished rising sun a few weeks ago. that was pretty good too.

i read a lot of robin cook though. medical thrillers. anyone read any of his stuff?

anyway, back on the subject of jp3 :)

ill go see it. when i get the time.
 OnlyOneCanoli
07-21-2001, 6:30 AM
I believe Timeline is being made into a movie. I hope it's as good as the book.
 CaptainRAVE
07-21-2001, 8:46 AM
Jurassic Park 3 is a good film. I downloaded it the other day....well, you know where i download my stuff from, but we're not aloud to mention them in here. I enjoyed the film so much i might just go and see it in the cinema. The ending was a bit strange though, probably leaving it open for number 4. Jedi Knight was another cool thing i was gonna download, but then i found my CDs.
Page: 1 of 1