Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Go Buy 'Max Payne' Now!

Page: 2 of 2
 CaptainRAVE
07-29-2001, 9:10 AM
Wow, thats gotta be his longest post out of his 400 :) . Anyway, yea those pics are quite nice :)
 PreTZeL
07-29-2001, 10:57 AM
:mad:
 CaptainRAVE
07-29-2001, 11:15 AM
:)
 matt--
07-29-2001, 2:31 PM
:rolleyes:
 acdcfanbill
07-29-2001, 6:00 PM
the last couple are the best...
 CaptainRAVE
07-29-2001, 6:02 PM
Back on the Max Payne topic......has anyone completed it yet then??
 MadPoster
07-29-2001, 9:28 PM
I can offer thunb screws
 PreTZeL
07-29-2001, 11:04 PM
i got to "the baseball bat"
but when i got there, i started with 0 painkillers, and my red up to my neck...
i couldnt get through that little part without using godmode...but after that, ive been able to do just fine...
i wish i wouldnt have had to resort to cheating, i spent an hour trying NOT to!
 OnlyOneCanoli
07-30-2001, 12:16 AM
I'm past the baseball bat part by a little, I believe. Full life, 8 painkillers. I haven't played since I got back because I'm really beat.
 CaptainRAVE
07-30-2001, 4:10 PM
Yea, i hate it when games eventually force you to cheat. It makes you feel pointless.
 OnlyOneCanoli
07-30-2001, 5:37 PM
The game is fairly easy, even with it's adjusting difficulty level. I don't forsee any cheating for me...
 PreTZeL
07-30-2001, 5:58 PM
hmm...i expect you will...that is, if you get screwed like i did...
and now, im stuck in the stupid manor, and i cant go anywhere...this game is really getting on my nerves...
 OnlyOneCanoli
07-30-2001, 8:41 PM
How'd you get screwed?
 acdcfanbill
07-31-2001, 12:48 AM
dude, hes a guy, i dont think we wanna know, at least i dont wanna know...
 OnlyOneCanoli
07-31-2001, 2:27 AM
Well, I'm just wondering if he screwed himself or if the game screwed him. :eek:
 ZeroXcape
07-31-2001, 2:29 AM
Pretzel!

All you had to do was wait for the 3 groups of people to walk by, then follow them closely. Once they pass the main door on the left, go into bullet-time mode and DIVE for the door on the right. Once you do that, get all your weapons and run to the next door (elevator.)

I didn't have to kill a single person on that level... but I agree... It was tough :
 GonkH8er
07-31-2001, 3:26 AM
Originally posted by matt-windu:
<STRONG> :rolleyes:</STRONG>

*claps hands* well said matt :)
 matt--
07-31-2001, 3:33 AM
*bows*
*begins super-long, boring speech*
 PreTZeL
07-31-2001, 3:35 AM
yes, the game screwed me...
and what are you talking about xcape?
i got to the part where hes like "two down one to go or something" thats upstairs..there is a door across the upstairs that has cracks in it...and doubledoors underneath...both those doors are locked...and they dont respond to nades, shotgun shells, or molotov ****ing cocktails...what do i DO man?
i dont get it from what you suggested!! :mad:
 PreTZeL
07-31-2001, 3:36 AM
oh...you were talking about the baseball bat...thanks a lot...i couldve used that tip before i quick saved after killing the first guy... :rolleyes:
thanks though for trying...
 Qui-GONE Jinn
07-31-2001, 10:11 AM
You've got Max Payne? Awesome...what are your systems...I'm kinda anxious to see if I can run it!
 PreTZeL
07-31-2001, 12:04 PM
min specs are something like (dont quote me):
400 Mhz
128 RAM
16-bit video RAM
400-800 MB free space

its something like that...keep in mind its better to have a computer a LOT better than just those minimum requirements
 CaptainRAVE
07-31-2001, 5:35 PM
Well, thats kinda obvious with most games. If you have the minimum specs then loading times will be long and your computer may jump frames. My old P2 233Mhz was enough to run ST:V EF with max graphics though and the specs for full graphics were 450Mhz processor..so specs arent always accurate. Actually it could have something to do with my GeForce 3 :)
 PreTZeL
07-31-2001, 5:39 PM
no...definitely nothing to do with your 256 MB of video RAM :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
 CaptainRAVE
07-31-2001, 5:40 PM
:).....i wonder
 OnlyOneCanoli
08-01-2001, 3:58 AM
All your base... (http://www.geocities.com/onlyonecanoli42/maxpayneallyourbase.gif)

AWESOME. You've gotta download it! (Right click, save target as.) A pic I took of a certain... thing. ;)

There are also other easter eggs in the game.

A password to the laundry room is "John Woo".
Some guards are talking about action movies and bullet time.
Two thugs are speaking REM lyrics near a fire when you leave the hotel... "This is the end of the world as we know it. I don't fell fine..."
Elevator music in an elevator--you shoot the speaker, and Max says "Thank you!"

And, I haven't seen/heard this, but people have told me about it:
A news flash is on a TV... Something to the effect of "The Aeris Corporation will soon have a bigger monopoly than Micro*static*..."
 matt--
08-01-2001, 4:10 AM
 OnlyOneCanoli
08-01-2001, 4:44 AM
 Darth Simpson
08-01-2001, 7:46 AM
Argh, I need my new system now!

Oh, and that 'All your base' thing is keerazzzy, Canoli! ;)
 PreTZeL
08-01-2001, 11:01 AM
yeah canoli ive seen all of those...can you help me get through this part please???
 Qui-GONE Jinn
08-01-2001, 1:23 PM
Well, how do you think this (my) system will perform with Max Payne?

PentiumIII 450mhz
128mb RAM
Voodoo Banshee 16mb
loadsa HD-space
 PreTZeL
08-01-2001, 1:29 PM
you will be able to hack it...a little better than minimum...but it wont be nearly as beautiful as a standard requirement system
if things keep expanding technologically, you will need to buy a new computer to play Outcast almost definitely...i am and i have 800 Mhz...im definitely gonna be over the Ghz mark before i tackle Outcast
 CaptainRAVE
08-01-2001, 4:12 PM
Hopefully I will have my 2Ghz system by then (if its out) so i should hbe able to run it fine http://www.geocities.com/captainrave2001/other17.gif)
 OnlyOneCanoli
08-01-2001, 5:51 PM
PreTZ, are you at the same spot as before? We're near the same area; I just passed that part.

So, you killed that one boss dude, and Max says "Two down, one to go..."

You walk out of that room, and there should be the final boss shooting a few ingram rounds at you. Fire a round or 20 back, and he'll retreat. Do not go downstairs. Stay on the second floor, and head near the single door that it opposite of where you currently stand. Walk over there, and try to open the door. It won't.

Inside, you'll hear two guys talking:
"Hey, it's Max Payne! He's gonna get us."
"Don't worry about it; this will stop him. It can stop anything!"

Back away from the door immediately, as the guy shoots a grenade your way, blasting the door open. Definitely save at this point, it'll take a few tries.

If you shootdodge or bullet time your way in there, you're dead meat. I really hope you have a grenade left. You have to get the angle right, and chuck the grenade in there so it lands near the guy, but not be in the doorway where he can nail you. Took me a few tries, but it can be done.

After you do that, clear the room, then kill the final guy of the trio. Walk into the next room, have a conversation with the boss, get busted by the feds or some group, and wake up in another dream.

God damn, those dream levels sux0r. Only part I dislike about the game so far.
 PreTZeL
08-01-2001, 5:56 PM
ok...i tried that before, ill try it again, thanks for the help if it doesnt work...ill post again...
i like how Max can play the piano in that level :D
 matt--
08-01-2001, 8:10 PM
Originally posted by OnlyOneCanoli:
<STRONG>Or how about this. (http://toiletduk.net/multimedia/flash/base.swf)</STRONG>)

This one is good too (http://www.superhappyfunplace.com/mrtvscats.htm)
 OnlyOneCanoli
08-01-2001, 8:55 PM
That was disturbing.
 PreTZeL
08-01-2001, 9:49 PM
ok canoli, thanks for your help!
it appears as if the door just wouldnt blast outward last time...it did this time :)
i think im on the last chapter its called "nothing to lose" id assume its the last chapter because...everything seems to be climaxing here...
ill play it later, i want to save it for a while :D
 OnlyOneCanoli
08-01-2001, 10:44 PM
Cool. I'm currently on part 3, chapter 5.
 PreTZeL
08-02-2001, 12:38 AM
just finished the game :D
interesting ending it took me a while to figure out that after you *** *** ***** you have to then ****** * *******....i could get the first part but didnt figure out the second!!!
im glad i killed that evil woman though...i am eager to see if there is a sequel...maybe they will think it through a little better for some variety
out of a possible 100%
i give it a 89% :)
 OnlyOneCanoli
08-02-2001, 12:57 AM
I'm on the next to last mission now. I'll go back and play a little later.
 OnlyOneCanoli
08-02-2001, 4:33 AM
I just finished it. Awesome game. People are complaining about its length, but the game lasted just about as long as I want SP games to last me. This is probably the second or third most enjoyable SP experiences I've ever had. Frankly the only thing I *really* disliked were the two dream levels- they flat out sucked. A couple other problems was that the first mode was too easy (I finished the game with full health and all 8 painkillers) and that the game was extremely linear. Most of the game was confined to buildings that had only one route; not much exploration can be done here.

I'll rate some of the aspects of the game.
Sound-10.0 [Perfect. Fit the atmosphere perfectly. All of the enemies speak. You sneak up behind them and hear them talking on the other side of the wall. Great voice acting all around.]
Graphics-9.5 [Great graphics too, as you can tell from the screenshots. Aweome texturing. Nice models. I had some hitches in framerate every once in a while.]
Gameplay-9.4 [Awesome. Bullet-time saves Max Payne from being your average shoot-em-up. Tight, sweet controls make this the best third person shooter. Ever. But I can't get over how damn terrible the two dream levels are. I thought we ditched walking on tight lines and platform jumping a few years ago.]
Replay Value-??? [Ugh. Who knows? With no multiplayer available (and believe me, bullet-time would not work in multiplayer) this may be a game I only play once. Yeah, there are two extra "modes" if I can even call them that. One makes it harder and one makes you beat it quickly. This one will come down to the editing community and see if they can pull off some great mods/TC's (Matrix, anyone?). Oh, and speaking of editing... editing isn't my thing by any means. But their WYSIWYG editor ain't as user friendly as they claimed. Only time will tell...]

Bottom line: Go out and buy the damn game already.
Page: 2 of 2