Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Site design

Page: 1 of 1
 Seryl Cann
06-23-2001, 10:59 AM
No offence, but I think the jediknightii.net site looks like it was made using a wizzard of frontpage. I think a site that is visited as much as this site is should have a better design.

PS: What is that flash thingy under the menu supose to be anyway?
 Mafia_Jabba
06-23-2001, 12:50 PM
I'd hate to say it..but they should switch from frames to tables it looks more professional..but the site is cool anyways
 Sherack Nhar
06-24-2001, 12:54 PM
Agreed. Tables are much better, and they look professional. Frames are just clogging up the screen.
 Aristotle
06-24-2001, 1:08 PM
First off, as always we love to hear your feedback on the site and ways to improve it. However, that being said. 1) I would love to see you create this type of site using any wizard you can find (Just send me your URL when you're done) and 2) The frames stay, we have plenty of table sites in the network and this seems to allow for the greatest ease of use thus far, and the vast majority of our readers clearly have no problems with it, and 3) That little thing on the left is a secret statistcal tracker... or is it? ;)

I've got someone working on a cool looking Jedi Flash image that will take that place shortly... so be patient.

Lastly, if any of you care to try your hand at a design that trumps this one.. heck.. fire away, and we'll all take a look at it and compare... so lets see what you've got... maybe we'll use yours if it's top notch. Feel free to come up with a cool alternative.

[ June 24, 2001: Message edited by: Aristotle ]
 wardz
06-24-2001, 1:10 PM
Do you mean Flash as in Livemotion? Can't wait, always enjoy looking at flash.

wardz
 Roger
06-25-2001, 3:02 AM
Hi, I don't see the sense in using frames for this, or any site...

You seem to use a double set of links, one in the left frame and one in the main page (exept for the forums)... why is that?
:confused:

So if you are only using frames to incorporate the forums, why not use it only for the forums and keep the tables for the rest of the site...

If you look at the design, there is so much space wasted in the header frame and the menu frame...

Just my 2 cents... :)
 Mafia_Jabba
06-25-2001, 2:50 PM
they could just make the forum open into a new window like I do on my flash
 Roger
06-25-2001, 4:21 PM
I don't really like opening a new window if your still at the same site...

But they got the forums so customized, it should be easy to customize it to the look of the rest of the site and include the links to the left or right... just adding another table would do the trick...

Or am I wrong?

Mafia_Jabba
06-25-2001, 4:24 PM
I dunno I haven't fiddled with sites in a while..and my SSI and CGI never worked..hey is there a way to have a script on every page that displays the same tables? so if you want to make a change, you don't have to change each .html file?
 Roger
06-25-2001, 4:52 PM
Yes there are several ways...
ASP, PHP, SSI, etc...
 wardz
06-25-2001, 4:53 PM
I didn't really think that this was suitable for a new thread, but does anyone have the problem that when you click on a page it goes blank? I have tried clearing temp internet files and refreshed the page, but nothing happens. This only ccurs on some pages..

wardz

P.S Jabba, that new sig has my approval!
 Roger
06-25-2001, 8:45 PM
Happens to me too, you're talking about the forums aren't you?

:(
 TheJackal_jk2
06-25-2001, 9:11 PM
On my old site, www.obiwan-network.com), (http://www.obiwan-network.com,) the design depended heavily on tables. I also used SSI, however it allways caused trouble. Some browsers cant quite read it well. And sometimes for no reason the template (file which the tables coding of HTML is located) didn't load properly or didn't load at all.

Although Frames aren't very appealing to look at, they do cut down on these problems and reduces load time greatly. I'm sure Aristotle and other of my co-workers could mention thousands of reason they went for frames.
 Roger
06-25-2001, 11:01 PM
Frames aren't bad just because they're frames...

But why do you guys have the two sets of navigation menus? If you're talking about loading time, you only need one...

matt--
06-25-2001, 11:38 PM
I've got the blank page forums problem as well.
 Roger
06-27-2001, 1:15 AM
Ok now I know why frames are bad, just had the same problem with one of my clients and now it is happening to JediKnighII too...

If you link to JediKnightII page it won't load in frames. It just load on it self, missing the header and navigation frame...

That's reason enough not to use frames... I learned that the hard way today...

:mad:
 Letalis
06-27-2001, 5:19 AM
Originally posted by Roger:
<STRONG>Ok now I know why frames are bad, just had the same problem with one of my clients and now it is happening to JediKnighII too...

If you link to JediKnightII page it won't load in frames. It just load on it self, missing the header and navigation frame...
</STRONG>

Roger, there is a way to link to a page with frames and include all the frames using Java Script. I can't remember it off the top of my head I'm sorry.

Also, in the last site I had I used primarily tables and that was all well and good, but frames provide a good consistancy and navigation is simple.

What is this blank page problem you speak of?
 Roger
06-27-2001, 2:07 PM
Yes there is a way to force frames, but it it won't load the right page in the main frame, only the default page.

So if you want to open lets say the links page in the main frame, the javascript in the links page says "open the frames page" and that happens :) but then the frames pages opens with the default (news page in the main frame and not the page you've requested... :(

If anybody knows a solution that does work, let me know cause I'm having the same problem... :confused:
 ChrisC3po
06-27-2001, 3:13 PM
Well guys I can tell you right now that the whole JKII.net staff is well aware of your concerns about the frames, but for now they will stay. Personally I rather like them, it’s nice to have a change once and a while. That said, considering most of the LucasGames staff love to play with site designs it is quite probable that JKII.net will have a new look well before the game shows up on store shelves. Just think of how many different designs JK.net has had through the years. However, right now we have several other site designs we want to finish first.

Feel free to keep working on new designs for JKII.net. Seryl your design does look great it could definitely use some work as GE_Solo pointed out, but still it is a fantastic beta.

Thanks for all the comments.
 GE_Luke
06-27-2001, 4:55 PM
frames rule!! ;P
well they're not great but you can do some cool stuff, check this site: http://www4.ewebcity.com/nimation/index2.html)

It's all in the frames... :D

P.S. another positive thing about frames is, when you handle it right it fits all sizes!
You don't have to bother about big empty spaces like e.g. the big grey spaces in seryl canns jk2 site, and many many more sites.

[ June 27, 2001: Message edited by: GE_Luke ]
 Mafia_Jabba
06-27-2001, 5:27 PM
I think seryl's site is the best JKII one i've seen...just fix the background and change it too a darker color that doesn't stand out..but I think it's much easier and cleaner than the current one!

[ June 27, 2001: Message edited by: Mafia_Jabba ]
 Roger
06-28-2001, 2:12 AM
Where can I find that site? :confused:
Page: 1 of 1