Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

A.I....I once was lost, but now am found.

Page: 1 of 1
 Mafia_Jabba
06-29-2001, 4:47 AM
"This is a tale of humanity."

What is your opinions on this subject guys.

Is A.I. REALLY A.I. I mean, how can there be such this as artificial intelligence. Isn't all intelligence real, and not fake. Intelligence is not a physical aspect, but more of an entity. Furthermore, how would one know that ALL machines would try to take over the world. If they are, in fact, authentic intelligence then wouldn't there be a similar balance between good and evil, love and hate?

Also, do any of you believe that machines (as in computers) will have free will, free judgements, and emotions like humans. Is it possible for a program to feel and love. If so, and we do create such a machine in the future, what changes will it bring.

Will being human not only mean having blood to spill, but be concentrated on more of a moral basis. One that loves and cares, has morality, would you consider a machine with such qualities human? If being a man, in a sense, means being a gentleman. Than couldn't a machine that acts in similar manners, and mabe in even better contexts than ourselves, be even more man than you or I.

Where will we be? Will our loyalties lie in religion, science, or self intellect?

Humanity, it seems, has a new fronteir.

BTW-if you have any information on the movie please do not spoil it for those who have yet to view it.

[ June 29, 2001: Message edited by: Mafia_Jabba ]
 matt--
06-29-2001, 5:09 AM
A very well written post mafia_jabba.

AI, in my opinion, can exist, and peacefully co-exist with us, their creators. I believe that the first major advancement in this field of technology would be the process of imprinting the neural pathways of the brain onto a microchip. To create intelligence, we must also first unravel the mystery that is our own. When you think about it, we are all born as blank slates, possessing little more knowledge and instinct than that of an AI opponent in a game...we know only to survive. But given enough time, we evolve into much more. What we have been, what we are now, and what we are becoming depends solely upon us. Given enough time and the possibility for expansion, our creations can evolve as we do everyday. One day, the destiny of "artificial" intelligence and "real" intelligence will meet. It is only a matter of time.

"Artificial" intelligence. I understand your point. intelligence cannot be simulated, only created. "But then again...what is real? Define 'real'."

I do recall once seeing a chatroom, offline unfortunately, in which several participants where AI, the page challenged you to decide which were falsities. A simple form of AI.

I believe that once a being, any consciousness, regardless of form become self-aware and sentient that it deserves the same rights that all other intelligent beings have obtained through struggle and revolution...or they may react the same.

The British restricted our rights. We revolted.

The Nazis impeded the Jewish people's rights, the Nazis lost the war.

It is the natural course of time. If we do not consider them brothers and sisters in society they will fight and we will lose.

And as for spiritual. If an AI dies, does it go to heaven? I say to you this. Every religion that actually believes in a God, agrees that He crafted us in His image. So, then we are technically artificial intelligence. Is it really so hard to believe? Computers and our brain are very similar. Nothing more than electric impulses. Our muscles...glorified motors. Our eyes...digital cameras. And our mouths and ears...speakers and microphones.

Are we all that "real" ourselves?

[ June 29, 2001: Message edited by: matt-windu ]
 Mafia_Jabba
06-29-2001, 5:35 PM
Your post is one of the most enlightening on this forum. I agree with you on every point, and hope that one day man and technology can live in peace.
 Qui-GONE Jinn
06-29-2001, 7:10 PM
Very interesting reading, here...
 matt--
06-29-2001, 7:14 PM
It's a philosophy thread really. Under the talk of where are intelligent technology is going, we can examine where we have been.
 Mafia_Jabba
06-30-2001, 2:33 AM
After viewing the movie A.I., I am not personally against creating machines with the ability to feel. Not only is it wrong to impose such a task of contemplating their own "use-less" existence within a confused mind, but we also do not have the right to put such a burden on a mind. The impact upon the emotional state is tramendous, and is morally and humanly wrong.

See the movie-get what I'm saying.
 matt--
06-30-2001, 3:07 AM
AI wouldn't be useless if they had rights.
 NeJJa
06-30-2001, 4:11 AM
if anyone can program complex human AI into a computer i will give them 5 bucks.
 matt--
06-30-2001, 4:13 AM
$5... :eek:
$5.07 and you got yourself a deal good buddy.
:rolleyes:
 Letalis
07-02-2001, 2:46 AM
The British restricted our rights. We revolted.

The Nazis impeded the Jewish people's rights, the Nazis lost the war.

Interesting point. What if what we consider AI got to a point where it could think, and feel and do for it's self, but then, at the same time AI considered what we (humans) were restricting their rights? And consequently revolted, because restricted rights really are a point of view, are they not? Whilst we may consider ourselves to be really nice to our new baby AI, the AI may be thinking, 'I can be so much more than this'. And that is where the conflict is created. As long as there is difference in point of view, there's difference in opinion and feelings, preventing that peace and harmony that we all so desire.

Just a thought.

Anyone seen 2001: A Space Odyessy?

[ July 01, 2001: Message edited by: Letalis ]
 DeathBoLT
07-05-2001, 7:09 AM
if it's self-aware, it deserves the same rights as us.

the smallest of nations when treated as equals become the firmest of allies. if we treat them as equals from the start and respect them like we would any other man i think the majority of AI would fit in and stand next to us as friend.

of course, if they're truly like us, and fully capabable of experiencing emotions, there is likely to be those that deviate from 'good' much like some humans break laws.

once AI is created, laws should be created to protect them like laws are established to protect humans(i.e no employer may discrimate on race, gender, nationality, creed etc.). There will probably be problems and hurdles for AI ppl to leap like there was for African-Americans. There will probably be situations like Little Rock, Arkansas and violence may even erupt. Humans are often afraid of what they don't understand.
Page: 1 of 1