Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Medal of Honor : Allied Assault

Page: 1 of 1
 Wilhuf
06-14-2001, 1:17 PM
Any of you FPS fans who have an interest in World War II or enjoy the Day of Defeat Modification for Half-Life musttake a look at Medal of Honor:Allied Assault (http://www.mohaa.ea.com/).

Medal of Honor is a Quake3 Engine 3D FPS game set in the African and European Theaters of World War II. You play as Lt. Powell US Army 2nd Ranger Batallion, and are recruited by the Office of Special Services.

The game is being produced by Dreamworks Interactive and 2015. The development team hired Cpt. Dale Dye, military consultant for a number of Hollywood war films, including Saving Private Ryan. The devteam has stated the game is heavily influenced by the film. Steven Spielberg is also involved in the game.

The game will include a recreation of the D-Day Invasion of Normandy, June 1944.

http://www.mohaa.ea.com/images/sshot/sshots-big/june6-sshot-lg_02.jpg)

Missions will take you across 1940s Africa and Europe, and will include interactive vehicles. The sound design will be totally professional, of Saving Private Ryan quality. Read the 3dActionPlanet article (http://www.3dactionplanet.com/features/interviews/erikkraber/) on sound design (thanks Blue (http://www.bluesnews.com))

Medal of Honor will include an editor and internet multiplayer. The game is due out before Christmas.
 Vagabond
06-14-2001, 1:43 PM
That sounds like a pretty interesting game. It sounds like they're trying to be fairly accurate with the game - sort of like a WWII simulator. I wonder if that means the people will move slower and more realistically, rather than most twitch-faster-than-a-viper FPS games? This game has a lot of promises to it and I'll definitely try the demo.
 Wilhuf
06-14-2001, 3:08 PM
Medal o' Honor will be an action game, rather than a true-blue military simulation. Dreamworks are focusing more on playability and fun.

However, MOH will not be arcadey, and there will be heavy emphasis emphasis on authenticity. They have recorded sounds from the original WWII weapons, for instance. Authenticity up to the point that it will not interfere with the fun factor, as they put it. :cool:

I doubt we'll see a lot of bunnyhopping GIs bouncing around Dog Sector Green at Normandy, bazooka-jumping their way over the barbed wire and MG40 fire. No plasma rifles and teleporter discs for Jerry Wehrmacht.
 ed_silvergun
06-14-2001, 3:34 PM
A long time have I watched this one. ;)

Yeah, MOH is looking like it will shape up very well. You know it was originally intended for the Playstation, until the devs came to their senses!
 Vagabond
06-14-2001, 3:44 PM
Well ya, obviously it needs to be fun ;) But it will ease my mind if people aren't rocket-jumping, running at cheetah-like speeds, or spinning around like the Tazmanian Devil. That would seem kind-a cheesy to me since it's based off of real-world, historical events. But fudging some of the reality is fine to make it fun. If I could only get shot once or twice before I died, or if it took days for me to heal, that might kind of suck. It's a balancing act.
 OnlyOneCanoli
06-14-2001, 4:51 PM
Yeah, I've been paying attention to this one for a while. It had a great showing at E3. I just wanna kill some more Nazis.
 Wilhuf
06-14-2001, 6:26 PM
Rocket-jumping Jerry. Gotta love it.
 Darth Simpson
06-15-2001, 2:06 AM
Actually ed, MOH has been a successful Playstation franchise for some time now. This is what, the 3rd Medal of Honor title? Don't really follow Playstation, so I wouldn't know how many previous titles there are.

I'm thrilled that Allied Assault is coming to PC though. Return to Castle Wolfenstein is going to have some serious Nazi-blasting competetion!

[ June 14, 2001: Message edited by: Darth Simpson ]
 ed_silvergun
06-15-2001, 10:11 AM
Ah, I hadn't realised it was part of a franchise. It certainly looks set to give Return to Castle Wolfenstein a run for its money, although the latter title is obviously somewhat less serious.
 Darth Simpson
06-15-2001, 10:20 AM
Yeah, Allied Assault does look more like a serious take on WWII. Perhaps it will be more successful because of it?

I must say that I probably will buy both, if they get good reviews.

[ June 15, 2001: Message edited by: Darth Simpson ]
 En Taro Taldarin
06-15-2001, 11:40 AM
I'm definatly looking forward to this, but right now, I've got my sights on getting World War II online, a complete online battlefield recreation of World War II. Except, almost none of the same stuff happens 'cause there are commanders, controlling where the troops go, etc.
 Wilhuf
06-15-2001, 12:43 PM
I had high hopes for WWII Online. Unfortunately, reports are that it is currently plagued with serious bugs. We're talking show-stoppers here: gamers-can't-even-log-in kind of show-stoppers. Hopefully they'll get everything patched up. A shame they had such a bad kickoff. Could be fixed into a decent game.

Meanwhile, I meant to post this impressiveMedal of Honor beach combat .mp3 file (http://www.pcgamers.net/mohaa/BeachBattleALL.mp3), produced by 2015, in complement to the above D-Day Image. Turn UP your speakers and listen (http://www.pcgamers.net/mohaa/BeachBattleALL.mp3)!)
 Krayt Tion
06-15-2001, 3:25 PM
Yep, I was exited about this since they scooped it in PC Gamer a few months ago. If they attempted to be a real ww2 fps combat sim I probably wouldn't play it, I would not want to even admit to being interested enough to accurately relive any real conflicts where real men died. I play games to often escape the tediums of this sick world, not be reminded in intricate detail of our worst moments as a species.

That aside, I'll probably still play MoH. So long as I don't have to write letters home to my squadmates mothers telling them their only son was mutilated by a mortar, he will have no funeral, you won't get to see him again, he is gone, till next time when human beings do something this stupid. Again.

It will be interesting to see which modified Q3 engine looks/plays better: JK2 or MoH. :)

[ June 15, 2001: Message edited by: Krayt Tion ]
 En Taro Taldarin
06-15-2001, 3:48 PM
Yes, World War II Online is plagued by bugs, but overall, I hear it's a very realistic and fun simulation. Besides, they've released patches already to quash some of the major bugs, and also, this is only the first release, there are going to be tons more patches and releases.
 Krayt Tion
06-15-2001, 3:59 PM
This has nothing to do with my previous post, but:

If they didn't rush the game out the door even when beta testers all protested the game wasn't ready, they wouldn't be having all these problems.

Yes, things will probably improve over time. But why has it become acceptable for companies to put out products that require massive fixing to even work? It shouldn't be, no matter how big a diehard fan you are.
 Wilhuf
06-15-2001, 4:48 PM
I have to agree with Krayt. Sure, it's true that bugs can be squashed, but we have to draw the line as gamers (and customers) somewhere.

The bugs in WWII Online were show stoppers. Gamers couldn't even log in! Not very professional.

I wanted to get this game pretty badly, but I'm not going to get it until the bugs are killed dead. I'm sure Cornered Rat will fix the bugs, eventually. And eventually I might get the game.

Meanwhile, how about a comparison pic of Return to Castle Wolfenstein, another Q3 engine WWII shooter due out this Fall:

http://gamespot.com/gamespot/images/screenshots/gs/news/010522/wolf_screen007.jpg)

What the hell is this? Did Jerry suddenly master Nazi ЬberVoodoo? Looks like a reconstituted Teutonic Knight... strange.

This one, also from Wolfenstein, looks pretty good:

http://gamespot.com/gamespot/images/screenshots/gs/news/010522/wolf_screen001.jpg)

I'd like to use that Flammenwerfer in multiplayer.

[ June 15, 2001: Message edited by: Wilhuf ]
 Darth Simpson
06-16-2001, 12:06 AM
The Wolfenstein flamethrower looks fantastic. Gray Matter seems to have a thing for them. Kingpin had a pretty fantastic flamethrower too.
 X-Vector
06-17-2001, 3:31 PM
The guys from Gray Matter are known for licensing a certain engine and improving the hell out of it visually so that ther game will look far more detailed and realistic than the game the engine was originally designed for.
They've done this before with the Build engine (Duke3D -> Redneck Rampage) and the Quake 2 engine (Q2 -> Kingpin) when they were still called Xatrix, they'll do it again with RTCW.
And yes, that flamethrower does look fantastic (again).

It's good to see that the 3 major WWII themed FPS's (RTCW, MoH:AA and Hidden & Dangerous 2) all take a different approach, which means they don't directly compete with eachother.
RTCW is obviously the least 'seious' of the three, with a large dose of fantasy thrown in, while H&DII is the most simulation oriented game, with MoH:AA positioned somewhere in the middle.
With all the other upcoming AAA FPS games (DNF, JK2, SoF2, Unreal 2 and - eventually - DooM3), the near future is certainly looking exciting for FPS fans.
IMO the major question that remains is if the nature of FPS gameplay will evolve enough to be able to keep up with the advancements in technology shown in these titles.
 ed_silvergun
06-17-2001, 9:28 PM
Originally posted by Wilhuf:
<STRONG>What the hell is this? Did Jerry suddenly master Nazi ЬberVoodoo?</STRONG>

In the world of Return to Castle Wolfenstein, yes.
 Wilhuf
06-17-2001, 11:21 PM
X-Vector how about a link to some Hidden & Dangerous pics?
 Darth Simpson
06-18-2001, 12:01 AM
Wilhulf, go here for Hidden and Dangerous 2 screens!
http://www.hidden-and-dangerous2.co.uk/screenshots.htm)
 Wilhuf
06-21-2001, 4:20 PM
Thanks for the info Darth.

Here's a new Medal of Honor Screenshot released this week. Look at the detail and debris in these explosions. Imagine them animated, they are going to look very believable:

http://mohaa.ea.com/images/sshot/sshots-big/june20-sshot-lg_03.jpg)
 Mafia_Jabba
06-21-2001, 7:37 PM
I hope mickey mouse dies
 Krayt Tion
06-21-2001, 8:22 PM
As much of a hypocrite as I am, I've been enjoying DoD all too much lately. They've done a good job imo with the 'pushing the axis back through bombed out cities and towns' motif. I love playing those types of levels. The DoD beach assault maps need a lot of work, however. Hopefully MoH will bring a lot more to the table there in that department like they've promised.

[ June 21, 2001: Message edited by: Krayt Tion ]
 Wilhuf
06-21-2001, 11:28 PM
BTW I found the full version of Hidden and Dangerous 1 at www.freeloaders.com) (http://www.freeloaders.com)
looks like it could be fun. Has multiplayer coop!
 Darth Simpson
06-22-2001, 1:14 AM
Heh, H&D coop is pretty fun. I've tried it a couple of times. It usually ends up with fighting over the guys you control, since you can switch mid-level.

Too bad the game is infested with bugs though. Otherwise it could have been brilliant.
 Wilhuf
06-22-2001, 11:40 AM
I tried a few levels of H&D single player yesterday. Pretty fun game, very challenging. Seems like it would actually work better in coop mode than single player. Darth_Simpson, any interest in a round of coop H&D?
 Darth Simpson
06-22-2001, 12:42 PM
I would, but I'm leaving in about 20min for the west coast of the US. I'm travelling around for about a month, then going back to Norway.

If you still want to play, say, when August comes around, I'm up for it. :)
Page: 1 of 1