Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Canoli's new gaming rig.

Page: 1 of 1
 OnlyOneCanoli
06-10-2001, 4:40 PM
Hehe, finally got a functioning computer. The old HP was just a piece of trash and had something against video games. Anyway, I decided to screw all of the major manufacturers and just build one on my own. Here go the specs:
AMD T-Bird 1.33GHz processor
256MB DDR RAM from crucial.com
VisionTek GeForce 3
IBM Desktar 60GB hard drive
Asus A7A266
19" Sony Trinitron flat screen monitor (no, not flat panel, hehe)
Pioneer 16x slot loading DVD-ROM
Altec Lansing ATP3 3 piece speakers w/subwoofer
3COM/USR modem (hehe this thing blows all the other modems I've had away-I played DoD for an hour last night and didn't lag out once).
SB Live! X-Gamer 5.1 w/Deus Ex, UT, MDK2, and Thief 2 (Too bad I had DE and UT, hehe)
Win2k Professional
And some other stuff that I can't remember.

So far it's running pretty good. Very purty and smooth. I had some problems with Win2k early on (such as modem and video card driver installation and hooking up to the net), but it's all good.

To people who are looking into new computers... I highly suggest you build the damn thing yourself. It only takes a little knowledge about hardware (like me for instance) and just a small amount of skill in putting stuff together. Don't get it from places like Gateway, HP and Compaq, it'll just screw you in the end.

I've said enough.
 digl
06-10-2001, 7:07 PM
Wow!
I wish I had all that
I hope to have something similiar or better by the time JO comes out

The only thing that your rig is missing is 2 more speakers, I guess you dont have where to put them
 bsbuckeye21
06-10-2001, 7:51 PM
Wow! Nothing like the feeling of having something brand new and up to snuff. But...

Let's time ya and see how long you can go without a problem. Starting... NOW!

:p
 OnlyOneCanoli
06-10-2001, 9:31 PM
Hehe, nothing so far. At first I was getting a blank screen when (for whatever reason, such as admin spots) I couldn't connect to a HL game. but that's fixed now. =)

And yeah, the speakers. My problem is that there is nothing behind me for quite a distance, so there's really no place to put the speakers. And people walk in that area anyway, so they'd be tripping/knocking them over all the time.
 Sherack Nhar
06-10-2001, 9:48 PM
Hey, awesome rig! Actually, I have some questions about the 2D quality of the Visiontek under Windows, so maybe you can help me out.

When you set your screen resolution to 1600x1200, is the text all blurry? Also, in whatever resolution, are the colors vivid or bland?

It would be nice if you could compare the picture to a Matrox but I suppose you don't have one of these babies with you! :D
 OnlyOneCanoli
06-10-2001, 9:55 PM
I don't normally run in 1600x1200, but I tried it out. It does seem like the text is *somewhat* blurry. I honestly don't know if I would've even noticed if I wasn't looking for it (and looking hard, at that). Or maybe the text is just too small for my eyes (which aren't all that great anyway)... I really don't think it's a big deal.

And the colors aren't bland at all. Looks a lot like Win98 SE on my first generation GeForce.

And no, I don't have a Matrox laying around, sorry. ;)
 Darth Simpson
06-11-2001, 10:36 AM
Sweet rig Canoli.

I'll have something similiar in a few months!
 Letalis
06-11-2001, 11:08 AM
I want one, I want one!

No fair... :p
 Wilhuf
06-11-2001, 11:51 AM
Canoli how did you resolve the 'HD not detected' problem? In BIOS settings?
 OnlyOneCanoli
06-11-2001, 4:26 PM
No, it was actually a stupid IDE cable connection mistake that I meant. The slot on the motherboard was colored differently for a reason. ;)

Like I said in the post, it isn't that hard to build one. Even an idiot like me who doesn't know his colors can make one.
 bsbuckeye21
06-11-2001, 5:52 PM
Originally posted by OnlyOneCanoli:
<STRONG>Even an idiot like me who doesn't know his colors can make one.</STRONG>

lol :D
 Wilhuf
06-11-2001, 6:22 PM
Heh it's true. Building a PC is really pretty easy. The worst part basically is that you are mostly at the mercy of the operating system and drivers to properly self-configure.
 CaptainRAVE
06-11-2001, 6:50 PM
Puttin a PC together is simple.....but its made out to be soooo difficult when its not!
 digl
06-11-2001, 9:34 PM
I imagined you had a problem like that
It happens the same where I have my rig :(
 RoguePhotonic
10-10-2003, 3:03 AM
Wow that is a good computer!!! :p
 XERXES
10-10-2003, 3:10 AM
my dad always has trouble with things like that, he is color blind...reds and greens are indistinguishible to him...as well as some other colors. I always have to help him...
 Tyrion
10-10-2003, 3:39 AM
Originally posted by RoguePhotonic
Wow that is a good computer!!! :p

*throws RougePhotonic into the freshly dug up Thread Grave, then shovels the dirt back on*

Now if only a mod can lock the casket. :p
 Boba Rhett
10-10-2003, 9:32 AM
*beats thread with a shovel*
Page: 1 of 1