Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

The Corporate Machine

Page: 1 of 1
 ed_silvergun
06-09-2001, 10:18 AM
I've just read <A HREF="http://www.webdog.org/plans/164/">Jake) Simpson's latest .plan</A> and was dismayed to read <A HREF="http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/4/19573.html">this</A>) about the forthcoming Windows XP. And there was I thinking that finally we'd have a decent, stable, all-round OS which allowed us to customise things to our liking. But oh no. Mr. Gates, it would seem, has other plans. :mad:
 Letalis
06-09-2001, 10:40 AM
Oh, it wouldn't be Mr. Gates unless it was so crap we'd have to upgrade every month...seems they've done it again, hey? :(
 StormHammer
06-09-2001, 7:32 PM
Well, as far as Microsoft is concerned, I tend to vote with my wallet - and I usually keep it closed.

As soon as I can get hold of a second hard disk, I'm going to try out the most recent versions of Linux and see how that goes. I've pretty much had enough of Microsoft. For all it's apparent benefits, I think XP is going to be a real pain to live with. It certainly won't be worth the asking price at the end of the day, IMO.
 Krayt Tion
06-09-2001, 8:13 PM
If there was another OS that supported the games market like windows, I would switch in a heartbeat. A freakin heartbeat.

Maybe if Microsoft had someone to seriously compete with, they would actually have to get off their ass and make us a damn good product where they can't slip in another buch of BS like this sounds like.

I vote with my wallet too and let me tell you, even if I actually end up using a decent microsoft product, I still haven't spent a dime on it.
 OnlyOneCanoli
06-10-2001, 2:15 AM
That's pathetic. I was really hoping for a good OS from Microsoft. I remember only a month ago, this was going to be the kickass OS we've been waiting for.
 Ki-Adi-Mundi
06-10-2001, 2:21 AM
Well it's not any more, unfortunately.
 CaptainRAVE
06-10-2001, 8:20 AM
Windows XP sucks!
 matt--
06-11-2001, 12:19 AM
I read in an article a while back that someone was porting DirectX to linux. Then basically, you could play a lot more games without windows.
 Wilhuf
06-11-2001, 12:02 PM
I remember reading not long ago that 'Windows 2000 will be the networked multimedia OS we are all waiting for.' That didn't seem to happen. Now it looks like XP won't be 'the big one' either. XP sounds basically like a waste of cash.

I keep reading about how 'Windows 98 sucks' and yet I haven't had a bluescreen ever on my Win98 SE game server PC since setting it up in October last year.

Guess I'll have to stick with Windows98 SE for awhile longer, maybe upgrading to Win2K once game software compatibility is more completely resolved.
 ed_silvergun
06-11-2001, 2:44 PM
Yeah, I'll be sticking with Win 98 SE for the forseeable future as well.
 digl
06-11-2001, 9:46 PM
All windows suck
You always have to wait some time and several patches before updating if you want it to work

[ June 11, 2001: Message edited by: digl ]
 matt--
06-12-2001, 3:09 AM
windoze blowz
Page: 1 of 1