Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Hold On Just A Second Now

Page: 1 of 2
 Ki-Adi-Mundi
06-07-2001, 12:18 AM
Anyone notice that in the description of the <a href="http://www.jediknightii.net/cgi-bin/forum/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=forum&f=16">LEC/Raven/JKII.Net</a>) forum that it says, "LucasArts, Raven, JKII.Net only." ?

Also, notice the title of the forum. LEC and Raven.

Wouldn't that just suck if LEC and Raven are colaborating with JKII.Net and giving them info on the game, and specific dates on when they can and can't post them?
 Qui-GONE Jinn
06-08-2001, 4:32 PM
i don't rightly understand what you mean...
 OnlyOneCanoli
06-08-2001, 4:41 PM
I understand. But I think it would be cool if they were doing that. At least somebody would be getting info.
 Ki-Adi-Mundi
06-08-2001, 6:09 PM
Maybe so, but I wanna know too! Don't you?
 Letalis
06-09-2001, 12:35 PM
Ditto...
 GonkH8er
06-09-2001, 12:54 PM
we have one over at jk.net too, and we actually got stuff in there :)

but ive been sworn to not take anything from that forum beyond those doors hehehe
 Qui-GONE Jinn
06-09-2001, 1:49 PM
Oh, now I see...
yeah, as Litalis said: Ditto.
 Letalis
06-09-2001, 1:54 PM
Originally posted by GonkH8er:
<STRONG>
but ive been sworn to not take anything from that forum beyond those doors hehehe</STRONG>

Once again..."That's not fair, that's not fair!"
 Ki-Adi-Mundi
06-09-2001, 3:29 PM
Gonk's and GonkH8ers are allowed behind closed doors and we all know this. :D

[ June 09, 2001: Message edited by: Ki-Adi-Mundi ]
 Jeff Walters
06-13-2001, 11:07 PM
/me gags Gonkh8r and tosses him in the back of a van with blacked out windows.
 GonkH8er
06-13-2001, 11:33 PM
hehehe i didnt do anything..... :)
 matt--
06-14-2001, 2:36 AM
How did all these people get admin access?
More importantly, how can I?
 OnlyOneCanoli
06-14-2001, 2:48 AM
They are dedicated members to the community. Good chance you'll never be a moderator/admin. You increase your chances by having intelligent discussions, helping others out, and being a good person in general. Or sleep with someone important like Aristotle or Zero. ;)

[ June 14, 2001: Message edited by: OnlyOneCanoli ]
 matt--
06-14-2001, 2:51 AM
Well I do log in every day. Maybe one day I'll be an admin.

*Sniffles and cries*
 ZeroXcape
06-14-2001, 4:38 AM
Heh, neither Raven or LEC has posted anything on the JKII.net boards yet. Like Gonk, I am forbidden to speak about the JK.net ones though. I don't want Jeff to throw me out of a moving van ;)
 GonkH8er
06-14-2001, 5:14 AM
*sniff* jeff..... i thought u loved me..... but now i know u just used me for your own pleasure.... that night.....
 GonkH8er
06-14-2001, 5:15 AM
HEY, WHO TOOK ME BACK DOWN TO 4 STARS!

grrrrr...... when i find you.....

and to think, ive given EVERYONE 5 stars :(
 Boba Rhett
06-14-2001, 5:16 AM
Originally posted by OnlyOneCanoli:
[QB]Or sleep with someone important like Aristotle or Xero. ;)

I think that sentance is by far more important than the rest. :D

But seriously... How does the selection process work? Do you just call someone up one day and ask them to be an admin?
 GonkH8er
06-14-2001, 5:21 AM
no, you have to have been an active member at owk.net :)
 OnlyOneCanoli
06-14-2001, 6:47 AM
Errr... no. ;)

[ June 14, 2001: Message edited by: OnlyOneCanoli ]
 bsbuckeye21
06-14-2001, 5:00 PM
<STRONG>HEY, WHO TOOK ME BACK DOWN TO 4 STARS!</STRONG>

Prolly some jealous jerk. :rolleyes:

And yeah Gonk, I think Canoli has you smoked on # of posts, membership time, and maybe even quality. ;)

//me ducks for cover

(I uh... am also... uh... nah, forget it. ;))

[ June 14, 2001: Message edited by: bsbuckeye21 ]
 Swoosh
06-14-2001, 5:37 PM
Yeah, like Zero said, nothing really exciting is going on in that forum right now...basically our conversations are about the network and those type of happenings. Nothing really to worry about :)

Swoosh
 CaptainRAVE
06-14-2001, 6:18 PM
Why are you all so bothered about being moderators....ok its a bit off fun, but believe me, for anyone who hasnt been a moderator before, it is hard work and takes a lot of dedication. Anyway, they've got loads of moderators! They just need to pay a little more attention, thats all.
 OnlyOneCanoli
06-14-2001, 6:24 PM
I say leave the moderating to the moderators. They're doing a fine job, at least from where I'm sitting. Anyway, from the 6 staff members they have here, plus Kurgan coming back any day now, they've got more than enough to patrol our relatively small community we have here.
 wardz
06-14-2001, 7:37 PM
yeh the guv'nor's returning any day now, have your protection fees ready!

wardz
 CaptainRAVE
06-14-2001, 8:03 PM
I wouldnt call it a 'small community'!!!! Its gonna be huge after raven have finished with the title. Even my non star wars friends are looking forward to it!!!!
 OnlyOneCanoli
06-14-2001, 8:50 PM
I said relatively. Relative to the TF.N forums where I visit, which have over 30,000 members, or IGN, who has a ton more than TF.N.
 wardz
06-14-2001, 9:40 PM
but I'd prefer to have a smaller close knit community rather than have 30,00 members who don't know who anyone is..

wardz
 Vagabond
06-14-2001, 10:01 PM
Agreed. That's why many of us miss the OWK.net forums. For the longest time after Obi-Wan was cancelled for the PC, a small handful of us had those forums to ourselves. And it was just that, a small close-knit community where everybody knows your name - and they're always glad you came :)
 GonkH8er
06-14-2001, 10:17 PM
vag, you took the words right out of my mouth :)

maybe, in 9 months time, we'll be looked up to as the regs and founding members of these boards, and all the little sprats will respect us :)
 ed_silvergun
06-14-2001, 10:34 PM
Sniff... sniff... oh, it bring a tear to my eye, it really does!
 GonkH8er
06-14-2001, 10:40 PM
i say we all give eachother 5 stars. someone start a thread in theed called '5 star voting' and we'll all just post once and give everyone in there 5 stars. then we dont look like bickering old farts.....
 OnlyOneCanoli
06-14-2001, 10:59 PM
The mods are saying some stuff about plans for owk.net. I hope it's good. I'd love to have that little community back.

And I think stars are silly. Maybe someone who just doesn't like you brought you down to 4 stars. Stars aren't reflecting one's posting ability or dedication, but rather how many friends you have or how many enemies you have.
 GonkH8er
06-14-2001, 11:13 PM
woooooooooooohoooooo someone doesnt like me! :)
 ChrisC3po
06-14-2001, 11:18 PM
OnlyOneCanoli: I totally agree with you about the rating system. I'm thinking we should scrape the whole thing.

While we are on the subject will someone please vote for me? :D
 Boba Rhett
06-15-2001, 12:04 AM
The whole thing is a bad idea. Perhaps if everyone here got along, never argued and weren't immature, it could work but with things being the way they are, there's no way this star system could ever spawn anything good.

maybe, in 9 months time, we'll be looked up to as the regs and founding members of these boards, and all the little sprats will respect us

We can only hope. :) Just imagine, A jk2 society as big as even Half-Lifes' and all of us at the helm. *drifts off into lala land*

P.S. Don't worry Chris, I voted for ya. ;)

[ June 14, 2001: Message edited by: Boba Rhett ]
 digl
06-15-2001, 2:03 AM
I agree about the voting
Someone who hasnt even posted once can give you 1 star because he doesnt agree with your comments

Maybe the moderators could vote only, and the people given 5 stars by them
Or the mods could moderate the given stars
nah
Too much work for them and there is no need for it
 GonkH8er
06-15-2001, 4:14 AM
we could scrap it and go for a simple UBB mod.... like stars depending on number of posts....

100 - 1 star
200 - 2 stars
400 - 4 stars

hrmmmmm then again we'd have mad posters....

perhaps some more ranks?
 Boba Rhett
06-15-2001, 8:04 AM
I think more ranks would cause even bigger problems with post "whoring" than the stars would. Unless your talking about assinged ranks by mods and admins but that would be a hell of alot of work. :eek:
 Letalis
06-15-2001, 12:23 PM
<STRONG>woooooooooooohoooooo someone doesnt like me! :)</STRONG>

Make that two!
;)
 wardz
06-15-2001, 4:08 PM
I'd go with digl, having the admins vote would be better, but then again why should they? We all know who are the people that make sensible comments, and they are the ones that become more respected rather than the people who post 3000 times a day for the sake of it, with nothing decent to add...

wardz
 CaptainRAVE
06-15-2001, 5:41 PM
I think the rating system is dull. It only develops conflicts. We all said this at the beginning! Im gonna hide mine cause its pointless....whose with me!!!!!!
 OnlyOneCanoli
06-15-2001, 6:51 PM
Maybe the admins here could disable it entirely?
 ChrisC3po
06-15-2001, 7:14 PM
The ratings can be disabled. Turning them off will be discussed at the next LG.com meeting, sometime this week. I’ll keep you guys updated.
 wardz
06-15-2001, 8:12 PM
I feel a little uneasy about the potential return of OWK.net. While most of the old regs will still go back, maybe myself included, you can't expect it to be the same and that may inturn 'ruin' the fun we all had before it was closed.

I would like to see other peoples opinions on this...

wardz
 Vagabond
06-15-2001, 8:53 PM
My thoughts on the return of OWK.net is that it's a legitimate site for LucasGames to cover, but most of us old regulars shouldn't expect it to be the same site we came to love. Let's admit it - while some may have been truly interested in the X-Box version of Obi-Wan, most of us were really jonsing for a JKII-type game. That's why most of us went to the Obi-Wan site in the first place - because LucasArts initially marketed it as a sequel to Jedi Knight.

Obi-Wan should be covered as the X-Box title that it is, but for those of us who have already stepped through the looking glass, we can never go home again.
 digl
06-15-2001, 10:38 PM
most of us were really jonsing for a JKII-type game
Agree

In the tradition of Dark Forces and Jedi Knight
One of their biggest mistakes was that phrase
 wardz
06-15-2001, 10:55 PM
I think you have hit the nail on the head there vag, I will be quite happy to see how the old dog is doing, but it is time to make way for the next lot.

It is not my\our place to go back and hog it all. That would be unfair to the people who actually want it for the xbox rather than us going down memory lane...

I feel I may be outnumbered on this view as everyone will shoot back at the first opportunity, but I am just warning people more than anything - not to expect it to be a replica of the OWK.net we once flocked to.

wardz
 StormHammer
06-15-2001, 11:24 PM
Heh...I'm late to the thread again, as usual. ;)

As far as the Stars rating system goes, I don't really see any point to it. Anyone can give you any rating whether they know you or not, whether they've read your posts and agree with you or not. And it has no particular function, so I think it might be a good idea to ditch it.

I think the same goes for other Ranks, like Stormtrooper, Mercenary etc, tied to how many posts you've made. What usually happens is someone decides they absolutely must have the greatest number of posts, and they will post anything just to bump up their post-count.

I think that's rather pointless. Personally, I usually only post something when I feel I have something good to contribute to the forum, either to help others, or to debate pertinent issues.

Regarding OWK.Net...yeah, I think you guys are right. We had some really good times over there, and I have some fond memories - but like anything, once you move on, if you try to go back to something you've left behind, it never feels the same.

I vote we enjoy the here and now, and attempt to make these forums as good and friendly as OWK.Net was.

Also, long live the Galactic Plumberman Alliance! :D
 Aragorn
06-16-2001, 12:15 AM
Yeah, I can't see myself going back to OWK.net. It won't be the same...
I wouldn't like to see 3000 members here either...That way you will never know the person you are talking to.

As for the ratings, I agree with most of you people, we really have to get rid of them.
Page: 1 of 2