Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Future Clan Leaders...

Page: 1 of 1
 Kwup
06-05-2001, 6:35 PM
If you want to start a clan but have had no leadership experience, please look at the 10 most important things in your team by order of importance:

[list=1]
Maturity - Please, keep your members age limit to 14+. Nobody likes a wannabe. Kids are wannabes. :mad:
Activity - usually leaders think that their members will always be active. This is wrong. They will go to another clan if they think that there is no point in their current one. Practices, Scrims and matches are great ways of keeping your team together.
Equality - Ranks work when you are disciplined, AKA the military. There is nothing keeping your members with your clan, so make sure they feel needed. Ranks are a no-no.
Order - Make sure everyone knows their role. There is nothing worse than playing a 16 vs. 16 match in any game and having 3 of your members dualing in the corner while the biggest game of your clan's career is taking place.
Webpage - The most common form of getting communication across to your teammates. Webpages are needed for any clan, and furthermore a good webpage is needed for any clan that is competitive in the community.
Skill - Finally, what makes and breaks a clan. Not as important as you would think, but having skill in your clan gathers respect for your clan, which is a great boost in morale. (Hell, who doesn't wanna join the #1 premier clan of ANY game)
ICQ/E-mail - Your webpage isn't the only form of communication. Make sure you use ICQ and E-mail also. Since JK2 MIGHT be on the zone, zm's are another form of communication.
Talking Smack - Okay, newbie bashing is fun, but totally screwing with a clan is not something you want to do. Who knows, someday they maybe kicking your ass. :eek:
Alliances - Really now, in any FPS game you do not need alliances for any reason at all. They are only useful for certain types of games, of which JK2 is not one of them.
Wars - Useless. There is no point in even declaring a war, since you can never destroy a clan. Instead, just have competitive matches with that team. Let make your team look superior to the community's eyes. (nothing worse than a smack-talking clan that SUX ASS)
[/list=a]

Dunno if that was 10 or not, but anyways you get the idea. If you plan on making a competitive clan, I suggest you learn HTML right now, it will make your clan look like an Ivy League college to any new members you may be looking for. Also, dont even recruit until you fight someone. You gotta know if they have potential to be in your clan or not.
 [HEL]Diablos
06-05-2001, 9:40 PM
Equality - Ranks work when you are disciplined, AKA the military. There is nothing keeping your members with your clan, so make sure they feel needed. Ranks are a no-no.

That depends though, ranks are needed to keep order in large gaming communities and such. Ranks can be important in some situations.
 Kwup
06-05-2001, 10:56 PM
oh that reminds me....

#11 Size - Keep your clan under 15~18 people. Having a clan too big is like having too many sheep for the shephard, you will not be able to have organization and people will feel like they are not needed. You CAN amend this however by having multiple leaders. With more leaders you will be able to easily keep track of your members, especially if you assign members to leaders. EXAMPLE: Tribes 2, Some tribes have an Overall Leader, Offensive Leader and Defensive leader. some even elaborate more on that concept. This idea only works in big clans though, if you have under 20 people and 1 or 2 leaders I would highly recommend you remove any ranks that are between your members.
 DrIfTeR
06-06-2001, 2:50 AM
You figured most of this from tribes 2 leading didnt you? ;)
 Seryl Cann
06-06-2001, 9:50 AM

For roleplaying ends ranks are a good tool. Also ranks are good to keep order in your clan. And it gives members a reward for being active.

Webpage - The most common form of getting communication across to your teammates. Webpages are needed for any clan, and furthermore a good webpage is needed for any clan that is competitive in the community.

A webpage is good, but it has to be a good website. If a clan has a really ugly website, people won't want to join. You need a website that says "We're profesionals, no one is better than us!"

Skill - Finally, what makes and breaks a clan. Not as important as you would think, but having skill in your clan gathers respect for your clan, which is a great boost in morale. (Hell, who doesn't wanna join the #1 premier clan of ANY game)

Skill is good, but if a clan isn't fun, the skillfull people won't stay. So make sure the people in your clan have fun.
 [HEL]Diablos
06-06-2001, 1:59 PM
#11 Size - Keep your clan under 15~18 people. Having a clan too big is like having too many sheep for the shephard, you will not be able to have organization and people will feel like they are not needed

Thats only if your clans primary focus is on one game and one game only :)
 DingusFett
06-07-2001, 9:07 AM
I think ranks are pretty important for a clan, it gives members something to aim for in the clan, giving another reason to stay in the clan, and they also lets everybody know who is in charge of the clan. I also think that it is good to recruit a couple of newbies, i know what your thinking(he's insane), but, it is good to make newbies feel welcome on the zone, and by being in your clan, you can help train and teach them aswell as making new players feel welcome, remember when we were newbies?
 GonkH8er
06-07-2001, 9:36 AM
newbies? we're ALL jko newbies my friend :)
 Ki-Adi-Mundi
06-07-2001, 2:58 PM
Well what do you know... Sabers Lightside fits all of those catagories. It must be the perfect clan. :)
 Kwup
06-07-2001, 7:43 PM
Originally posted by DrIfTeR:
<STRONG>You figured most of this from tribes 2 leading didnt you? ;)</STRONG>

yeah right! in Tribes 2 OFFICIAL MATCHES are 16 vs. 16. That means you should have AT LEAST 20 people incase some are gone.

Oh, and ranks suck. They seem cool, but usually they are given out unfairly. For instance, some guy might be 00ber good and be like co-leader. But he plays 2 minutes a month. Also, someone might have an awesome personality, but suck ass, should they stay at the low end while new members easily surpass them?

Also, if I were in a clan for (lets say) 3 months, and I could fight just as well as anyone with a rank higher than my own, I would not want to be in that clan. Why? I would rather join a clan that gives me respect for my skills instead of treating me like my rank.
 JaG|Kaiser
03-13-2002, 11:44 PM
THis is good advice for anyone who wants to start a new clan.
 Legacy_QuEsT
03-14-2002, 1:34 AM
This is good advice for anybody who wants to start a new clan - Kaiser

I think there are no better people that know what it takes to build a successful clan/club than successful clan leaders who have done it in the past and succeeded.

You have to be it before you know it and you have to know it before you are it.

But as far as I can see most of those steps are right :)
 Krypticos
03-14-2002, 2:06 AM
ok, i do think ranks are rather essential. if they are given out unfairly, then you question the leadership, not the ranking system. it's like if the starter in your car goes out. do you get a new starter or get rid of the car? you don't eliminate where the problem occurs, simply the cause of it.

ranks give members something to strive towards. it keeps them competitive and gives them a reason to be active.

just my thoughts...

:lsduel:
 Nimrod
03-14-2002, 8:09 AM
we have also tried to recruit people who are European so we see each other online alot (and it has a benefit when it comes to lag).

a good list though kwup
Page: 1 of 1