Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Level Design

Page: 1 of 1
 cnh
07-03-2001, 9:58 PM
I know if you seach the web there are hundreds of articles on "What makes a good level", most of these take the quake style angle.. ie. big guns, fast gameplay etc.

My personal feelings from playing JK and MOTS is that the large arena doesnt always make the best level for that Starwars Feel. With the screenshots we have seen so far it is safe to say that most people will want good lightsaber battles. The large open arena doesnt always suit such combat.

Smaller levels with good well constructed battle areas add a nice edge to a level.. this doesnt necessarily mean a little box room or a small platform in the middle of a big box, getting the right balance and adding enough asthetic flair is what will distinguish a level from all the others(im sure we will see lots of remakes of the final battle on Naboo - not a bad thing if done well)

Id be interested to hear others thoughts on "what is a good starwars level" and what types of locations people would like to find themselves fighting in. If we get enough ideas now then by the time the editing starts for propper we should all have a few nice ideas to work on.
 GEJoeSolo
07-03-2001, 10:22 PM
BESPIN RULES!!!!!!!!!
 Wilhuf
07-05-2001, 3:10 PM
I agree. Bespin would be an excellent environment for Star Wars gaming. Huge exteriors and interiors, varied environments. A huge, busy, living city, but with many secluded, dark alleyways and recesses.
 cnh
07-05-2001, 4:43 PM
the Bespin MOTS multiplayer level was very good. atmospheric lighting and variety in fight areas. Particularly impressive were the interactive items such as Carbon freeze chamber and large breakable window (ideal for knocking people out of .... or having them sucked out)
 GEJoeSolo
07-05-2001, 11:21 PM
yeah bespin is the coolest SW invironment IMO
 jipe
07-06-2001, 1:43 AM
http://www.massassi.net/articles/leveldesign.html)

and the author is quite handsome, too ;)
 toms
07-08-2001, 10:34 PM
one thing i really liked about the level design in JK was all the "interactivity" with the levels. I don't mean duke nukem style toilets you can flush, but the way the player could modify a lot of the levels.

Moving huge bridges around, rotating that cargo container down through the ship, filling/emptying huge fuel tanks, varying levels of gravity etc...

It made the levels themselves into huge puzzles, and it was cool that when you flipped a switch it actually did something you could see, rather than just opened a door to the next part of the level.
 C.H.A.S.
07-09-2001, 3:09 PM
One level from Jedi Knight 1 I liked was the level where they had the magnetized room so the lasers bounced eveywhere. That was cool because they had windows you could sit in and it was big so you could have nice battles wheather with sabers or with guns. :cool:
 GEJoeSolo
07-10-2001, 3:04 PM
that was so easy to do, it's just a flag
 Dethlord
07-10-2001, 8:06 PM
it was damn annoying, too.
Page: 1 of 1