Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

New E3 video with commentary!

Page: 1 of 1
 bsbuckeye21
06-11-2001, 11:29 PM
From e3coverage.com (http://www.e3coverage.com/) comes a new video of JK2 with commentary! Low and Hi quality versions, respectively:
http://www.videogamegal.com/e3/day3-jediknight2.asf)
http://www.videogamegal.com/e3/day3-jediknight2-hi.asf)

I haven't finished downloading them yet, so I don't know what to tell you. :) Can probably only be good, though.
 bsbuckeye21
06-11-2001, 11:56 PM
Ok, just got done watching it.

The saber scorches left on the walls are amazing! I know the first time I play it I'll just run against the walls trying to write stuff. ;)

I absolutely hate the saber glow on the ground. It's just done so cheaply. Hopefully, they'll change it.

I thought they might be cool in the screenshots, but the bright-white flashes may be a little overwhelming when you're hitting sabers so often. I really don't want a headache.

I also thought it was funny how the droid blew apart like it was full of plastic explosives. But I really didn't like it. :)

And I guess the number on the HUD in the bottom-right corner indicates force mana, and man did it replenish quickly! I know, only an early demo, blah blah.... :)

[ June 11, 2001: Message edited by: bsbuckeye21 ]
 Aragorn
06-11-2001, 11:56 PM
I just managed to download it! The graphics look cool! But it's 4 in the morning here and I can't raise the volume to hear what they are saying...
 Aragorn
06-12-2001, 12:02 AM
You are right, the saber glow is not that good. I also didn't like the way Kyle moved...I can't imagine a possible reason why you didn't like the way that R2 got blown away! ;)
Also saber fights look very simmilar to JK. I don't know if I realy like that...I was looking forward to something more complex.
 cliffe
06-12-2001, 12:06 AM
Wow, very cool!

I'm glad they haven't forgotten the droids. Yet the explosion was a bit much, hehe. Also, really didn't like all the flashing during the saber fight. Looked more like a light show. Hopefully they'll get that worked out.

Graphics looked awesome though and man pushing those stormies off the side, fun fun fun. CAn't wait.
 cliffe
06-12-2001, 12:14 AM
Also, where'd they get that girl interviewing? She needed some work, lol.

Another great thing was that the map was pretty big and open. Reminds me of the demo JK level.
 Vagabond
06-12-2001, 2:06 AM
Excellent video! Thanks bucky :)
 OnlyOneCanoli
06-12-2001, 2:24 AM
Hehe, thanks for the heads up. Pretty cool.

That saber glow on the ground is pretty cheap, but they'll most likely fix that.
 matt--
06-12-2001, 2:58 AM
If only that girl would have been smarter! She could have brought one of those hard drive-back up devices in and copied the demo for us!(and whatever top secret info he had on it)!
 Darth Simpson
06-12-2001, 2:59 AM
Thanks for the tip bucky!

The movie itself was very cool, nice to see some real gameplay. I really hate the flash the lightsabers make when they collide though. Makes my eyes hurt...
 bsbuckeye21
06-12-2001, 3:00 AM
Hehe thanks, but I'll be honest, though: I found it off of VoodooExtreme which got it off Blue's News! Thanks for doing the dirty work, Blue! :D
 Dr_Strangelove
06-12-2001, 3:57 AM
That video is awsome, I love the saber battles and how Kyle's friend was taking it to that Dark Jedi even when the LA guy wasn't paying attention and trying to talk to that idiot interviewer. Also the graphics are awsome, but the saber flashes are really bright and they blind you for a second, and that second someone could get a quick stab in, but good effect none the less better than anything JK had. Also the saber movements where awsome, he used saber throw so much though, that might turn into a cheap move in MP, and the glow was strange and the way he ran was funny, kind of like he really wanted to be running to a crapper. BUt none the less the game is shaping up awosome considering its only 3 months into production and everything else looks great. One thing I did notice though was the game play was a lot faster than JK, it could have been because the LA guy was just good and not phased by the stormtroopers, but the game looks like it will be full of fast paced action which will be fun. But I also hope there is some slow paced strategy involved also.

[ June 12, 2001: Message edited by: Dr_Strangelove ]
 OnlyOneCanoli
06-12-2001, 4:52 AM
Hehehe, bucky got mentioned on the main page. ;)
 Boba Rhett
06-12-2001, 5:02 AM
That's an awesome video. I absolutely loved the saber scorch marks.
 matt--
06-12-2001, 5:11 AM
GHOUL II rocks!
 Letalis
06-12-2001, 9:19 AM
Did he jump at all? :)

If they've done away with all the bouncing, it'll be so much more realistic...
 GonkH8er
06-12-2001, 9:37 AM
i concur.....
 Boba Jim
06-12-2001, 11:36 AM
Again, like the old Outlaws, jumping should deminish your health to make you weaker and easier to kill. That would stop all the stupid hopping around.
 Wilhuf
06-12-2001, 1:25 PM
Very cool footage. Thanks buckey! Again, the demo level looked like authentic classic Star Wars. Impressive detailing on that level.

The saber flashes were very cool. They wont actually blind the user in-game. Of course in the films there are a lot of these lightsaber flashes. Clearly Raven are paying close attention to source. Good show.

Also, good to see that saber throw appears to be fast and effective.

Looks like the Force Lightning, throw and push are aimed rather than lockon. Saber throw is clearly aimed. Lightning looks like it snap-arcs to a target. The effect is impressive. Hard to tell conclusively from the blurry footage.
 Darth Lunatic
06-12-2001, 1:29 PM
I know the level is only a demo. But did anyone get 'Elite Force' feeling from it? Maybe its just me. I've been playing raven games too much recently!
 SithSeeD
06-12-2001, 1:39 PM
This video further exemplifies the reasons why this game will kick... butt . I must choose my words carefully to set an example hehe.

All I have to say is "Impressive, most impressive."

SithSeeD :mad:
 En Taro Taldarin
06-12-2001, 1:46 PM
The sabre glow on the floor isn't bad at all, what did you expect. It wasn't even a reflective surface, so of course it's going to look like that. I disagree that the saber combat looks like it's from JK, it looks far more complex. The graphics just amaze me, and the sabre trails look just like from the movies. I will have incredible fun with that lightsabre wall scorching feature. Also, the R2 unit's explosion was actually relatively small, nothing to worry about. It also looked a lot easier to use force powers for combat. I loved all the powers that I saw, particularly lightning, and sabre throw. Most powers were very hard to use in JK/MOTS in direct combat. The sabre throw was useless in MOTS. I can't stop the drool running from my mouth. ;)
 ed_silvergun
06-12-2001, 2:09 PM
What he said. :)
 Finalnight
06-12-2001, 2:24 PM
Originally posted by Darth Lunatic:
<STRONG>I know the level is only a demo. But did anyone get 'Elite Force' feeling from it? Maybe its just me. I've been playing raven games too much recently!</STRONG>

Yeah, it was a nice video, it streamed nice on my 56k!!, I think they will make it less elite forcish as it becomes more developed.
 Kettch
06-12-2001, 2:41 PM
What Ive seen in the footage, thats AMAZING!

It's almost PERFECT.
I LOVE the FORCE SYSTEM, that is all I ever wanted (The JK Force System Sucks).

Excellent graphics...that dueling at the end was great too!
:eek: :eek:

Keep up the good work, I'm looking forward to Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast!

:) :) :)
 Kettch
06-12-2001, 2:44 PM
Umm...I wish that u can block saber throw, as you can do that in reality and that equalize more the balance.
 ed_silvergun
06-12-2001, 4:03 PM
Hmmm... maybe you can. I didn't get that much of an Elite Force feel, to be honest. I suppose some of it looked a bit like the borg ship interiors in EF.

I too thought that the saber duelling looked better than in JK. Hard to tell, but it appeared as thought there were more than just a couple of moves.
 wardz
06-12-2001, 4:06 PM
where where where!! pants like dog! How long does it take to d\load?

wardz
 bsbuckeye21
06-12-2001, 4:37 PM
Originally posted by OnlyOneCanoli:
<STRONG>Hehehe, bucky got mentioned on the main page. ;)</STRONG>

Hey hey hey! Purtey cool!

(I wouldn't have even noticed if not for the heads up; I just have the forums bookmarked so that it's full screen. ;))
 wardz
06-12-2001, 4:46 PM
phew! Ok seen it, and I think that is going to be game of the century! Did you see those scorch marks? :)

Just a note for those who complained about the saber, I think they have changed it around since E3 so it is going to be different.

wardz
 StormHammer
06-12-2001, 7:17 PM
Famous at last, bucky! :D

I actually stumbled across the link on VoodooExtreme a short while ago, and after watching that vid, I knew this place was going to be buzzing.

All I can say is...wow! For three months work that looked pretty advanced to me. :)

I noticed these Force powers in use...

1. Saber Throw - it looked good in the higher-res version of the vid (which kept buffering over my 56k connection :( ). Very smooth - and it used about 10 Force points for each throw.

2. Push - bye bye stormies.

3. Lightning - the effect looked quite good to me, from what I could see. I can't judge whether it bent toward the Dark Jedi or not - but that power ate through the Force points quite rapidly.

4. Jedi Mind Tricks - in the room with the Stormie where he stands still, he actually used the Force - look at the Force meter on the right. He confused the stormie, so he didn't look like an enemy. And the LEC guy said the effect wears off after a little while - which it did when the stormie fired.

The lightsaber battle looked really good. I definitely liked the flash effect, which is very apparent in the films, although I felt it was a little too frequent, and maybe lasted a little too long.

I liked the bit where the buddy stepped in too.

The weapon-flashes were done very well, as were the explosions.

I too disliked the saber glow on the floor, and if they can't fix it, I think it might be better to leave it out. Yes, I know it's early yet - but there are limitations to what they can realistically achieve with the Q3 engine, even with modifications. I'm just hoping they can improve it.

I too thought that there was something slightly wrong with the movement of Kyle while running. It's hard to judge, but maybe he's not quite fluid enough yet.

Nevertheless, for a demo that was pretty impressive stuff, IMHO. Keep up the excellent work, Raven and LEC! ;)
 CaptainRAVE
06-12-2001, 7:17 PM
Is there anyway to download the movie cause streaming video with another million people on the server is annoying, even with the new one!!!!!
 X-Vector
06-12-2001, 8:17 PM
Originally posted by CaptainRAVE:
<STRONG>Is there anyway to download the movie cause streaming video with another million people on the server is annoying, even with the new one!!!!!</STRONG>

Just use a download accelerator program that will 'intercept' the stream and allow you to dl the video.
I use Download Accelerator Plus (DAP) myself, works pretty good.

A couple of thoughts on this video:

1. WOW!

2. I really got a Dark Forces feeling when watching the movie, especially because of the awesome height (and depth) of the shaft that Kyle is moving upwards along.
The only bit that reminds me of EF for some reason is when he activates the elevator control panel.

3. I sincerely hope Raven will *not* make the saber combat significantly more complex (and complicated!) than in Jedi Knight.
If a combat system a la Severance: Blade of Darkness were to be incorporated into JK 2, it would absolutely *kill* the game for me.
 Chewie_Rips
06-13-2001, 2:35 AM
Well, i posted a few remarks in the realated section of this forum. However, for the dial up users, you can simply "right click" the macro( or link to the file) and select "save target as. This will allow those uesers to view the stream media without pausing for "buffering". And overall, I thinkg even with the quarks in the gameplay, and visual effects, that if this game hit the shelves in its current state, it would still be the best game of the year!!! Be patient young Jedi!( As I plan to quit my job the day it is released....)
 Cheezer
06-13-2001, 6:03 AM
Does anyone know where I can get the hi-res version of the file. I got the low res version, but it says the files aren't there anymore.

Thanx :)
 X-Vector
06-13-2001, 12:56 PM
Page: 1 of 1