Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Kyle Katarn

Page: 1 of 1
 Ice Man
06-11-2001, 7:27 PM
Okay, can we just establish a certain fact here:
IS THIS REALLY KYLE KATARN?
http://www.jediknightii.net/screenshots/smscreen001.jpg)

Because it doesn't look the way I remember him. Now I don't actually own JK or MOTS, but I've played there demos and I'm a pretty knowledgeable Star Wars fan. Nor does the image look like this:

http://www.lucasarts.com/e3/seven/images/index_08.jpg)

So are they both Kyle?
In the first picture, assuming that's Kyle, then he looks a lot younger and less muscular than in pic #2.
Your opinions?
 CaptainRAVE
06-11-2001, 7:37 PM
Why are you dwelling on screenshots.....these have nothing to do with JK2. Just a rushed demo made in a month to show at E3! And anyway, with Jk u couldnt really make out any features anyway seein as his limbs didnt even join together!
 Sherack Nhar
06-11-2001, 7:51 PM
Actually, I think that JK2's in-game Kyle looks a lot like he did in JK1's filmed cutscenes. Take a look:
http://www.jediknight.net/trail/images/pro_kyle.jpg)

About the second pic you posted... I don't really think he looks like Kyle. Too muscular, and the shape of the head is too... blocky. He looks more like Dash Rendar than Kyle Katarn...
 CaptainRAVE
06-12-2001, 6:50 PM
Hey, maybe the second pic is the dark jedi!!!
 En Taro Taldarin
06-12-2001, 6:52 PM
Yeah, at first I thought he was Kyle 'cause he has an orange sabre like Kyle did in MOTS, but then I realized he didn't really look like then guy from the JK cutscenes and the sabre color was probably 'cause of the lighting in the picture.
 matt--
06-12-2001, 6:52 PM
Another twist.
 The Wanderer
06-13-2001, 9:13 AM
mayhaps, but I definately think the second picture looks cooler, a visual improvement IMHO. And it seems more like the Kyle back from dark forces. I never liked the cutscenes from JK anyway, every time I see them I smell the distinct oder of ham. Besides, it takes place 4 or 5 years later, I think Kyle would have gotten some new duds by then.
 GonkH8er
06-13-2001, 9:22 AM
perhaps an older luke :)
 En Taro Taldarin
06-13-2001, 11:13 AM
That definatly does NOT look like Luke in any way whatsoever.
 digl
06-14-2001, 1:08 AM
I don't actually own JK or MOTS
Wow you are probably the only one here!Get then both man!they are on of the best games of PC history

About the pics
Maybe its a hint about the storyline
We could get to play Kyle at two different ages
Or maybe Its an older Luke as gonk says

[ June 13, 2001: Message edited by: digl ]
 Sherack Nhar
06-14-2001, 1:40 AM
Come on guys, it's Kyle... It was just a quick CG by the Lucasarts guys to get us all hyped up when they announced the game...

Why would they put an older Luke to represent JK2...

I like the idea of having to control Kyle at two different ages. It won't happen, but it would've been cool.
 Tre Lightshadow
06-14-2001, 2:27 AM
Ya then this could turn into the Ocarina of Time all over again!!!!!!!!!! Kyle would be a cute fairy forest boy! ;)
 CaptainRAVE
06-14-2001, 6:12 PM
Does it matter if its Kyle or not. It was probably something they just made up to make the site look better. You lot take things so seriously!
 Ice Man
06-14-2001, 10:18 PM
Captain Rave, you're right. I'm judging from an Alpha version. It might not even be Kyle in the pic. I don't know for sure. I'm just hungry for info and little hyped up, I guess. The second pic does look like Dash Rendar. I'm a huge fan of Dash Rendar (Read Shadows of the Empire!!!) and I guess I was subconsciously hoping that Kyle would look like him. :) I guess we'll see, right?
 En Taro Taldarin
06-15-2001, 2:18 PM
Dash Rendar isn't too big of a character in Shadows of the Empire, and he dies in the end anyway. Oh, and, Iceman, you really oughta get JK and MOTS.

[ June 15, 2001: Message edited by: En Taro Taldarin ]
 Wilhuf
06-15-2001, 2:21 PM
OBVIOUSLY it's Kyles Evil Galactic Twin, Lyle.
 Syndrix
06-15-2001, 3:12 PM
I highly doubt that it is Kyles Evil Galactic Twin, Lyle, Wilhuf. Maybe its his not-so-well-tempered kind of grumpy cousin. Think about it... Yeah
 ed_silvergun
06-15-2001, 3:35 PM
Originally posted by Tre Lightshadow:
<STRONG>Kyle would be a cute fairy forest boy! ;)</STRONG>

Wilhuf's sense of humour has a strong influence on the weak-minded. ;)

:p
 En Taro Taldarin
06-15-2001, 3:42 PM
Or maybe it's his alter ego, Pyle Popcorn! :D
 CaptainRAVE
06-15-2001, 5:12 PM
We all really should take this more seriously...or maybe not!
 X-Vector
06-15-2001, 7:13 PM
The guy in that second pic is Kyle's Austrian brother, Arnold Katarn.

Actually the Kyle in the first picture bears a strong resemblance to the Kyle in Jedi Knight, so I don't think Raven should change his appearance too much, if at all.

Of course the Kyle Katarn we know from Dark Forces looks completely different from both Kyle and Arnold Katarn as shown in these two pictures.
Judging from the intermission cinematics in DK, I'd say Kyle bore a striking resemblance to a disgruntled Jeff K at the time (same hairstyle for example).
The really disturbing thing is however, that although he *looked* like Jeff K, I remember Kyle *screamed* like Zach de la Rocha (of Rage Against The Machine fame) when plummeting towards his death from an icy cliff as he was wont to do in those days.
I must confess, this strange discontinuity has really kept me puzzled for countless sleepless hours on end.
 Ice Man
06-16-2001, 2:30 PM
Originally posted by En Taro Taldarin:
<STRONG>Dash Rendar isn't too big of a character in Shadows of the Empire, and he dies in the end anyway.</STRONG>

I came across a site once; a Dash Rendar fan site, which stated that Rendar didn't die at the end of the book. I wrote this guy an e-mail and he replied that Dash faked his death so that Imperials wouldn't put a bounty on his head and chase after him. Dash later appears in a comic book, he said. Don't ask me which one, I don't read the SW comics.
But if you think about it, the death sequence in SOTE is pretty lame and unheroic, leaving a fealing that he might still be alive.
Anyway, back to JKII :).
 digl
06-16-2001, 5:44 PM
Just like Boba Fett
 acdcfanbill
06-16-2001, 7:43 PM
well, to me the man in the screen shots look to lanky to be kyle, even the kyle in the movie shots from JK. and the fact that he has a blue saber makes me think it isnt kyle too. of course all Jedi are suppose to build their own sabers, but Kyle doesnt seem to me like the kind of guy who would stick to tradition, plus, he's probly to busy (lazy) to build himself one. i know programmers dont get out much, but im sure they would remimber that kyle had an orange saber. anyone else think so?

[ June 16, 2001: Message edited by: acdcfanbill ]
 digl
06-16-2001, 7:49 PM
thats some long signature!
 acdcfanbill
06-16-2001, 8:02 PM
Originally posted by digl:
<STRONG>thats some long signature!</STRONG>

some might say im using the large size of my signature to make up for other things, well, actually i am, see, my hard drive is too small, only 4 gig, tisk tisk, im ashamed...
Page: 1 of 1